Gibson Brands Forums

Remember your first...?

Izzy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Loads of us Mature players did House of the rising sun;

AC/DC is also a great starter band cus it ROCKS but its not intimidating.

Gives you a sense of "oh, I can do this...yay"

Thank you all for your responces this has given me some great ideas for new songs to try.

I will now be forced to learn House of the Rising Sun.

Carry on with tales of your first ;)

I'm a HUGE Beatles fan, so when I was 5 ('87), I begged my uncle (who taught me EVERYTHING I know about the guitar) to teach me some Beatles songs. Not really beginner-friendly, because even though the songs sound simple enough, some of the chord changes are KILLER, especially for a 5 year old.

I never really mastered them though, and 'til this day I'm STILL trying to get through the rest of them, but as far as the first [complete] song that I learned to play all the way through? That would be 'DYFLWD?' by Peter Frampton. I've even got the tone down, and with a HELLUVA lot more simple setup (an LP, a Marshall JCM2000 Combo, and a Heil Talk-Box).

Smoke On The Water and Play That Funky Music made me realize there's more to a song.

Like the OP sez, just the riff ain't gonna do it forever.

First song start to finish was Lyin' Eyes by the Eagles.

Realized playing and singing at the same time is NOT something I do well.

Put down the acoustic, picked up the electric, stepped away from the mic and became a guitarist.

To this day, I don't bother with vocals when I'm playing and I really don't care to sing.

My first?

Lessee.... back in high school, a friend came up and told me he knew a girl who wanted to meet me.

He introduced us and she invited me over to her house that night for a party.......what? first SONG?

Oh...never mind......

First song was probably something like "Walk Don't Run" or Apache.... too long ago to remember....

(but I still remember Renee!!)

Bob

One of the folkie things from "Pete Seeger's Folksinger's Guitar Guide" which was a very simple sorta thing.

Quickly graduated to some Leadbelly stuff like "Little Girl." Some versions were "black girl," but the one record I had after I figured out I could follow chords from "Sing Out" magazine had "Little Girl."

It was heavy into the folkie stuff with that first guitar, and rapid self-teaching. Since I'd been playing music since I was little, the folkie stuff generally came pretty easy - it was more a matter of learning a few chords, the transposition was pretty easy, lotza words, some of which I can almost remember. Did kinda a Carter Family scratch on some of it. Then a number of finger picking styles. Holding the @#$% strings down on a horrid first guitar was the big problem, although I was lucky to get a cheapie nylon rather than one of the truly horrid steel string cheapies of the era. Later on I added a Stella 12-string and, as was the deal at the time, refinished it and messed with the setup. The electrics and rock came around three years later.

(I don't know many people today other than picker friends who'd believe me doing "San Francisco Bay Blues" complete to harp and kazoo. <chortle>)

BTW, the Leadbelly version of House of the Rising Sun was far, far different from the Aminals (misspelling intentional) version. Somewhere in that first month or two I figured the old "Rumble" rock piece from Link Wray.

Note also that this was pre-Beatle. <grin>

m

BTW' date=' the Leadbelly version of House of the Rising Sun was far, far different from the Aminals (misspelling intentional) version.

[/quote']

Yeah...actually Ledbelly's version is called "In New Orleans" with the subtitle of "House of the Rising Sun"... GREAT old traditional folk song!! (played on a Stella 12-string too!!)

Bob

Springhill as in "In the town of Springhill, Nova Scotia, down in the dark of the Cumberland Mine, there's blood on the coal and the miners lie ... in the roads that never saw sun nor sky..."

Yeah, I did that one too.

I really got into the folkie thing when I lived back east in high school and Dad's apartment (he was going to grad school and sent me off to boarding school on the assumption it'd be better for a country boy than a big city high school), was only about four blocks from Harvard Square and the legendary Club Mt. Auburn 47. I wish I'd kept my membership card.

Then the summer after high school when I bought my first guitar after that experience, I ran into some folkie bluesy types that reenforced stuff.

Since I'd already done music, though, I figured the first thing I hadda learn was some chords and it was simple enough to learn three, then play them behind a lotta folkie things. Then learn new chords and... then new chords and... <grin> Rock came later. Then country - although it was sometimes hard for me to figure then, as now, what's "bluegrass" and what's "country" and what's "rock" when there used to be so much crossover stuff.

It's still fun to play "bile them cabbage down." <grin>

m

Springhill as in "In the town of Springhill' date=' Nova Scotia, down in the dark of the Cumberland Mine, there's blood on the coal and the miners lie ... in the roads that never saw sun nor sky..."[/quote']

Yes, that's the one. As a kid I was dragged along to Dubliners gigs. I liked it too. Then I caught a gig in Spain a few years ago - the crew made much fun with little perishing-on-the-stage acts :-)) ...and they're still going strong AFAIK!

DJ

--

Archived