Gibson Brands Forums

Naked Gold Top

ibis

I've just taken the scratch plate off my R7 Gold Top. I'm thinking its less country, more classic rock in the spirit of Duane Allman/Snowy White.

I think I like it (her?) undressed.

IMG_3741.jpg

Before:

IMG_3723.jpg

Whats your views on scratch plates? Do you like yours naked or dressed?

For me it depends on the guitar itself. Your Gold Top looks great with no pickguard! I don't think My DB would look good with the pickguard... I'd hate to cover up that beautiful wood =P~

And the pick guard just can't be big enough for the Gecko.... ;)

I like the classic look of the pickguard not to mention it protects your guitar at the most likely spot where it could get damaged over the years with normal play. Thats what it was made for right? I like the look of a highly figured guitar without a pickguard. A guitar with a beautiful paint job, as in a special color or burst looks better, more modern, without a pickguard. It comes down to personal preference and if you want to protect the guitar from years of being thrashed by a pic....

you are right tom... without one they just seem generic... with the pickguard on' date=' well they look like a good classic rock machine[/quote']

I couldn't agree more. Though I could not bring myself to drill holes. I also went with one of Bobbi Lee's custom designs.

Archived