Gibson Brands Forums

Judging guitars by look and not sound-Gibson Website 'reviews'

Duende

I noticed yesterday that in the products section of the Gibson website each instrument had consumer reviews. I thought this was really useful, although most likely slightly partisan, as us guitarists usually love and defend our choice of instrument to the death :-

What depressed me; was on the more radical designs, like the Zoot Suit, Holy Explorer and the high end Epiphone Wiltshire, the reviews were so full of negativity aimed at the look of the instrument, it became apparent that hardly any of the 'reviewers' (if any in some cases) had even seen one of these instruments in real life, let along played one of the damn things!

There eyes had been the judges and not the ears!!

I know the look often seals the deal when purchasing an instrument and it is a pleasant cherry on the cake, to a great feeling and sounding axe, but the looks coming first and over riding everything else is so ****ed!

My message to many of those reviewers is "stop being like sheep and going along with knocking something that all the seemingly cool cynical naysayers do and start playing with your ears and not your eyes!"

By the way I have the day off and am in a good mood; 'jus sayin' :-k

Matt

Yeah totally with you there mate. But I usually find that most people who leave a "review" on those sites are usually just drop-in kids who are just starting out to play or are,like we all were at one stage,dreamers. Not much unlike the Harmony Central reviewers.

I mean seriously,who of us here have ever bothered to leave a review of something they just bought?

Most of us know to take them with a grain of salt.

We buy guitars to play? LOL!!!

Craig

Right on Craig baby [confused]

I actually have been back since, this morning; and even the well regarded R9 is full of the same nonsense 'reviews'! Instead of being offended by the look this time, they are offended by the concept. Again I doubt many of the negative reviewers have even played one.

Concept, look etc etc, all secondary to playing the bloody thing, right on Craig and Lowdown.

This should be the 'new guitars are for playing and enjoying' thread

Matt

Don't be silly. EVERYONE knows it's just the name that makes a guitar sound awesome. Just call it a Reissue and suddenly it looks and plays thousands of dollars better. Or "road worn" and add insta-mojo.... it isn't the actual instrument that makes it soooo good.... it's the marketing!

So, why not pick on the look... we're conditioned to forget it's an instrument and pay attention to the hype instead...

(I know... it's a waste of time to read an interview from some one who says "I don't own this guitar, but I saw one at the music store....." )

I am reading things assuming they are by adults' date=' but are angst filled kids who are angry at their father writing LOL!

Matt[/quote']

Define adult.

Age doesn't matter, at least if someone's the kind of stupid person that criticises and bashes everything on sight.

I remember when the Raw Power series came out, people were giving lousy ratings and wrote nasty comments, now both guitars have ratings like 9/10 each.

I rarely take reviews into serious consideration. Most of them are written by people who are not unbiassed (a crazy Fender whore is more likely to bash a Gibson guitar) and don't really know what they're talking about.

I also remember seeing an " " " " "Unbiassed" " " " " comparison on two vibrato bridges. The one the guy bashed, actually worked perfectly for me (OK, so the high e broke after a couple of weeks of me abusing the vibrato bar, big deal). But, what kind of freaks me out is when people act like pros, but really belong 5,000 feet below crap.

One love

I think one problem with "reviews" is that beyond fit, finish and other quality control issues, both looks and playability are pretty much subjective. A neck and fingerboard I love may be much less comfortable for someone else.

"Looks" in ways also can have some realistic influence on a given guitarist in terms of the shape of the instrument and the ease or lack thereof for a give player's style. For example, some don't care for the SG and suggest it's neck heavy. I never had a problem along those lines and feel more comfy with it than with a Paul.

And... even in the "olden days," I never could distinguish that much difference between two solidbody guitars with different shapes, the same neck and the same pickups.

So I dunno.

m

You are right Matt (and everyone else that replied to the OP is right too!)

Internet reviews are funny and serve the only purpose of making us laugh. I've read some crazy reviews on Harmony Central and worst reviews on GC and MF, hadn't noticed there were reviews in the gibson site. Maybe Gibson should have some rules to post reviews: to have tried the guitar, to be objective (don't know if that's the right expression), and to evaluate the guitar's features (like or dislike and why). People posting rants should get their posts deleted and if they persist, their IPs banned.

That said, I remember reading a rant on the BOSS Metal Zone at GCs... the guy was bithching because it only was good for metal, and he wanted to get nice blues and jazz tones out of it (it's real!)... my God, didn't the name "metal zone" ring any bells?

That said' date=' I remember reading a rant on the BOSS Metal Zone at GCs... the guy was bithching because it only was good for metal, and he wanted to get nice blues and jazz tones out of it (it's real!)... my God, didn't the name "metal zone" eing any bells?[/quote']

I remember reading that one too. Thought the exact same thing. gmta!

tbh i think looks play a major part when buying a new plank, just look at the threads on here of people (showing off)

the finish of the guitar...its an atraction just like when you see a gorgeous girl at the end of the dance floor or when you go buy a new car, you're atracted to the girl so you get to know her better, you're atracted to the car so you take a test drive...same with a guitar it's a natural human responce to something you find atractive, i'd think corr look at the aaa flame top on that! i ask if i can have a go and if it floats my boat then it's a match made in heaven! but it's the look of it that made me want to (get to know it better)...=P~

I find it funny to find "marketing reviews" on guitar websites.

Like this is a good move by Gibson or this is not a good move by Gibson etc. granted the Jimi Hendrix thing was just asking for it but other stuff just makes me chuckle.

That said' date=' I remember reading a rant on the BOSS Metal Zone at GCs... the guy was bithching because it only was good for metal, and he wanted to get nice blues and jazz tones out of it (it's real!)... my God, didn't the name "metal zone" ring any bells?[/quote']

lol :)

Regarding that Zoot-Suit SG, I played each of the three that GC had when I worked there for a month. I liked it. I know a lot of people like to judge it by look, and yea, it's definatly not for everyone, but the concept of the different mixed woods gives it a bit of a different sound. I would like to make a comparison of the guitar to my Les Paul Doublecut because weightwise, it was about the same, a pretty weighty instrument (which I like), and if I remember right, it also had a 498/490 pickup combination. Wasn't a bad guitar at all.

People should only put a review down if they've actually played it. Than they can give a more educated, and thought out review as to why they did or didn't like it. Someone could say, they played the Holy Explorer thought it sounded and played great but the design turned them off or was uncomfortable. At least that would make a bit more sense.

Archived