Gibson Brands Forums

Got a new guitar!

RichCI

My birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and my buddy bought me a Dean VX

vx.jpg

Okay, it's a $200 Made in China guitar but it plays very nice (action and intonation were all set), has Grover tuners, the frets are finished nicely (no sharp ends) and the neck shoulders are rounded off. The pups are a little weak and trashy sounding and I might replace them (then again, they do add another sound to my arsenal) and a heavy metal guitar should probably have some kickass pups. But, best of all, it's a frickin' V, dude! m/

I'll update again in a few weeks after the honeymoon period wears off.

Nice guitar rich! You going to change the pups?

Thanks, man! I don't know if I'm going to change them or not; first thing I want to do is get a fresh set of strings on it to see how that works out and the second is to play it with my band. If it's good, I'll leave the stock pups in there. From the little I've played the guitar so far, I'm thinking I might want something with more punch in the midrange as the high end sounds a little trashy, at least with whatever strings are on it right now. I've already got Strats, a Tele, a Les Paul, an SG jr and some other guitars that do the whole classic rock/blues thing really well so I want this one to be for METAL. Yar!

Sweet looking V' date=' Rich! Time for your band to do a few UFO covers. [/quote']

Funny you should say that. My friend who gave me the V and I used to play in a band together almost 25 years ago and he was (is) a huge UFO fan. We used to play "We Belong to the Night."

Archived