Gibson Brands Forums

The new Zoot Suit SG

intenseiam

What kind of music do you play?

What kinds of tones do you want?

There is a lot of hatred towards the ZS on this forum. Everytime it gets brought up people argue about it.

Personally, I like the rainbow one a lot.

I prefer the tone and weight of a mahogany SG, but it's always good to have some diversity.

Also, I strongly dislike the stock pickups. I would change them immediately if I bought one. It's not the clear business by the way... I hate the tone of the pickups.

I would love a ZS with p90s.

Funny how tastes differ so wildly...

I actually fell in love with the look of this guitar and purchased the blue and red one Sweetwater had (http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/s014090382/).

I love eye candy on stage, am particularly drawn to blue and red combined, and have wanted an SG for some time. Will be less concerned with taking this to gigs than my 1971 ES 335.

Mostly getting this as a player guitar and will seek to upgrade the pickups at some point. Would have liked a hard case and fretboard position markers (although I understand the the ZS has at least side markers).

As a new member of this board, I've read old messages and see a number of people really like paired 57 Classics on SG's. Any other pickup configurations you'd recommend over the stock 496R and 500?

Funny how tastes differ so wildly...

As a new member of this board' date=' I've read old messages and see a number of people really like paired 57 Classics on SG's. Any other pickup configurations you'd recommend over the stock 496R and 500?[/quote']

Man, you should've taken the SG Raw Power.

As a new member of this board' date=' I've read old messages and see a number of people really like paired 57 Classics on SG's. Any other pickup configurations you'd recommend over the stock 496R and 500?[/quote']

The 57 is my favorite pickup and what I would recommend. If you needed a little more output you can put a 57+ in the bridge. It's what my SG has, although it was by accident. The price tag was mislabeled at the store so I didn't realize it was a 57+ until weeks later when I was installing it. By that point I said F it and put her in. It's a very tasty pickup with just enough extra oomph. Not much of a fan of super hot pickups, especially active pickups. I have a volume knob on my amp and a fuzz box if I want dirt. I don't want my pickup doing the bulk of the work.

btw - have you had a chance to rock out with your Zoot Suit yet? I played one unplugged just to see how she felt. Not bad. The birch pieces are actually pretty weighty, almost like a Les Paul or Sheraton.

It arrives next Tuesday, so I haven't played it yet.

I share your view on active pickups. I have a beautiful Telecaster w/Bigsby that I added a vintage late 60's LP pickup to along with active electronics. It is so frustrating to arrive at a gig or rehearsal and find that the pickup 'on' switch was engaged, and 9V battery drained inadvertently. It is also so hot that it overpowers the low watt amps I use and makes a white noise type effect when paired with a volume pedal. Think I'll steer clear of actives pups.

I'm fortunate to live a few blocks from Gary Brawer one of the best guitar techs in the U.S. I take all of my new guitars to him for setup.

To the poster above, the Gibson SG Raw Power looks like a great guitar. However, the insane body design is what drew me to the Zoot Suit. I can always modify pickups later to suit my taste, but can't change the body design. I'm not too concerned about the birch top as, with solid bodies, I find most tone comes from pickups, my amp, and my hands.

So, I plan to mod the Zoot Suit to my tastes. I know already I'll love it - can't wait to play it! ;-)

I think the idea of a multi colored guitar is cool. But I think Gibson really missed the boat on those seethrough pickups. They just look awful, they tried putting them on the SG goddess and look how that sold. Would of preferred the head stock in a solid color, but Gibson always seems to like to go over the top. If they just changed little things they would have a great line up but instead they try a new idea and fail miserably.

The clear bobbins/rings just look bad, definitely agree on that. Black would have been a much better color for the bezels, and then plain black for the bobbins, or chrome. Of course that is rather easily rectified, but I'm the type of person who likes to buy guitars that don't need a bunch of work to get them where I want them.

So the guitar arrived on Tuesday. I've had a chance to play it quite a bit.

Overall, regardless of configuration, the SG is a great guitar. I'm very pleased to add it to my lineup as it has sonic characteristics that are completely different. While my 335 feels like a fine and precise instrument, the SG is a war hammer. With the stock pickups, it sounds great. The SG has a harmonic richness that is ringing, sharp and opaque.

As expected, the guitar will require a good tuning. Guitar setup from the factory is far too high for my liking and I'm planning to swap out the stock pickups for a 57 Classic and a Classic Plus.

Regarding the body finish, I think it looks amazing! Everyone who sees it really is drawn to the unusual design and asks what it is and from what planet it came.

As others have commented, it is a heavier than ordinary guitar. The neck feels incredibly solid. I've strung it with heavy gauge Elixirs which add a bit more power in the low end.

While I know many forum members here are not pleased with the design of this guitar, I've got to say kudos to Gibson for trying an innovative design. It takes courage to do something different, and I think they've introduced a very worthy member of the SG family in the Zoot Suit.

the rainbow colored one just... ugh. The other ones are pretty nice. Now, if you change out the stock pickups, which are Gibson's high output ceramic pickups, it might lose some of that "war hammer" character. Just a thought. The clear pickup rings would be more tolerable if they had put chrome covers on the 500T and 496R.

So the guitar arrived on Tuesday. I've had a chance to play it quite a bit.

Overall' date=' regardless of configuration, the SG is a great guitar. I'm very pleased to add it to my lineup as it has sonic characteristics that are completely different. While my 335 feels like a fine and precise instrument, the SG is a war hammer. With the stock pickups, it sounds great. The SG has a harmonic richness that is ringing, sharp and opaque.

As expected, the guitar will require a good tuning. Guitar setup from the factory is far too high for my liking and I'm planning to swap out the stock pickups for a 57 Classic and a Classic Plus.

Regarding the body finish, I think it looks amazing! Everyone who sees it really is drawn to the unusual design and asks what it is and from what planet it came.

As others have commented, it is a heavier than ordinary guitar. The neck feels incredibly solid. I've strung it with heavy gauge Elixirs which add a bit more power in the low end.

While I know many forum members here are not pleased with the design of this guitar, I've got to say kudos to Gibson for trying an innovative design. It takes courage to do something different, and I think they've introduced a very worthy member of the SG family in the Zoot Suit.[/quote']

Thanks for such an informative post. The magazine Guitarist gave it a rave review too recently and I love the design of these too.

Matt

Archived