Gibson Brands Forums

Who's Your Favorite Guitar Player and Why??

slashadler

Can't say I have any favourite player as such. I like many players for different reasons' date=' and within different styles. But to mention a few players that stuck out over the years, Angus Young and AC/DC was what got me to pick a guitar up in the first place, and later on in my teens Marty Friedman (Megadeth) and Alex Skolnick (Testament) were the main reasons I got into taking practising more seriously both when it came to technique and theory. Skolnick made me look to the fusion scene and I quickly got into Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin, and around that same time I more or less stumbled across Frank Zappa's music and guitar playing which pretty much changed everything for me. Then Zoot Horn Rollo (Bill Harkleroad) did it again. I guess Clapton, Peter Green, and Fredrik Thordendahl (Meshuggah) deserves a mention as well.

But if some huge dude came in to me room and twisted my arm and made me mention just one, I guess I'd go with Zappa.[/quote']

Ya, I can agree with you that I like different guitarists for different reasons. Slash is my all-time favorite for every reason. Angus Young is so awesome because every single song is hard rock and kicks @$$. Jimmy Page is amazing at acoustic. Joe Satriani blows my mind away anytime I listen to him. Peter Frampton for the talkbox. Alex Lifeson for rockin' out in a 3 member kick @SS band!!!!! and finally Brian May for just being awesome

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stevie ray Vaughan was my First Favorite and Still my Favorite.

The way he Rips into a song without telling Duoble Trouble what he's playin'. The way he sings with all his soul. The Lighting, Intensity, and and Bravado of his up beat stuff. The Feel, Soul, and Sensitivity on his slower stuff.

His Picking hand is intense. I stole many of his Hybrid Picking techniques and the way he stashes his pick under his ring finger and starts finger picking.

All that and Showmanship, too.

I don't want to rip on SRV or anything. He is a great guitarist, but I think his style is too much influence by Jimi Hendrix. It seems to me like he is trying to be like Jimi too much........ Let me make this perfectly clear once again... SRV IS A GOOD GUITARIST. just so people don't start ripping in to me saying hes awesome and stuff.

I don't want to rip on SRV or anything. He is a great guitarist' date=' but I think his style is too much influence by Jimi Hendrix. It seems to me like he is trying to be like Jimi too much........ Let me make this perfectly clear once again... SRV IS A GOOD GUITARIST. just so people don't start ripping in to me saying hes awesome and stuff.[/quote']

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

He's much more heavily influenced by Albert King, Lonnie Mack, and Buddy Guy. He does a couple Hendrix tunes and he cops a few of his moves, but for the most part, what you're hearing is the common influence Albert King, Eddie King, Muddy Waters, and Buddy Guy had on both Hendrix and SRV.

Listen to "Soul to Soul" or "In Step" and you'll see what I mean.

You're entitled to your opinion' date=' no matter how wrong it is.

[/quote']

LOL :-& Another fan of Barry from Nick Hornsby's high Fidelity?

I love all the guys everyone has mentioned. I have two big influences though on the majority of my out look; Julian Bream and Randy Rhoads. I don't like them more than the other players I admire; but their way has influenced the way I have chosen[cool]

Matt

Almost an impossible question...BUT, if I had to narrow it down to (4) "favorites," "Just Because," it would be,

in no particular order: George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, and Roger McGuinn. But, there are a LOT

of other well known players, I really admire and respect...and quite a few others, that are "unknowns," as well.

CB

Frampton is awesome..... he made the talkbox famous!!!!!!! thats why i bought one!!

Bwahahahahaha. He was pretty good in this little band called Humble Pie well before the solo career (and the talkbox days). Perhaps you've heard of them.

Different sounds/styles.. How do you pick one?

Can't see David Gilmore playing "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" or Leo Kottke playing "Wish you Were Here" or Chuck Berry playing "Comfortably Numb" or SRV playing "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"...

(Hendrix, Gilmore, Santana, Jeff Beck)--(Leo Kottke, Paul Simon, Gordon Lightfoot)--(Chuck Berry, BB King, SRV)...

I guess in a sense for me it would be a guy I didn't appreciate enough when I was younger - and he's probably the most skilled all-around picker I might imagine.

Chet Atkins.

I think he could do about anything he wanted to - and could "hear" all kinds of music and make it work.

But don't get me wrong, there are dozens of folks whose work I greatly admire and respect.

I guess my "choice" is kinda a reflection of the kind of picker I wanna and work to be. I'll do Bach tonight, then likely some fingerstyle Christmas carols (never know what may happen between now and Dec. 25), then probably a doowop thing just for fun, almost certainly a blues or two - and gotta practice a bit on "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" and... Hmmm. What key did I figure out for "Jinglebell rock" anyway?

The Christmas stuff I've gotta quit speeding on during "practice" 'cuz I may have to do some in public and a counterpoint thing in "Angels we have heard on high" at double speed doesn't make singers happy.

<chuckle>

Now if only I had a bit of talent to accompany obsession with learning technique... Sheesh.

M

Manitas de Plata...translates into silver hands.

Flamenco player, and a good one.

As much as I love rock, nothing makes my guts burn like street rumba flamenca.

Manitas might not be the best, but you'd have to find a gypsy camp to find real gold.

... Heard the silver hands on recording... He was the "young guy."

Saw Carlos Montoya in concert from roughly 20 some feet away.

Flamenco is... blues of a different genetic background. The only reason I still have a nylon string guitar since most "classical" can be played easily on steel strings but not a rasgueado.

As for rumba flamenca... Yup, you're young, I'm old. <chuckle> That's post 1950s; leaves me out. <grin> I just looked it up... Hmmm.

m

As hard as it is to believe, Jimmy Page is my favorite. He has a stockpile of classic riffs and solos. To this day, I get the chills when I hear Black Dog. I get mezmorized when I hear a live version of Dazed And Confused. Firey, fast, and sloppy. At times his playing seemed to have the same nasal twang as Plants. I hear an almost Nashville quality to some of his playing. Sure he stole a lot, but he made it his own.

Give it up for Jimmy Page, THE GREATEST ROCK GUITARIST OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi milod

When I take my Ibanez acoustic to school on Monday's and Wednesday occasionally, bored of plectrum playing and missing my Classical guitars I try and play like a Classical and always regret it. It is like a morbid addiction; I know I shouldn't!

Not only does it butcher my nails, but I end up frustrated that the tonal changes and dynamic response I can get with my Classical guitar cannot be got out of steel.

I am opposite to you. Whack out some loud chords and my ears prefer steel (unless I had a proper flamenco guitar)

Matt

Flamenco is... blues of a different genetic background. The only reason I still have a nylon string guitar since most "classical" can be played easily on steel strings but not a rasgueado.

As for rumba flamenca... Yup' date=' you're young, I'm old. <chuckle> That's post 1950s; leaves me out. <grin> I just looked it up... Hmmm.

m

[/quote']

Love the blues/flamenco comparison. Hadn't ever thought of it that way but it SO makes sense o.o

Can't blame the young for not knowing much better, at least not in the US. Its hard to be in-the-know when there is SO much rock and blues available in every form (cd,dvd,mp3,cassette), while old vinyls of no-name gypsies in mom's closet are all I had to guide me towards flamenco. All the same, I am thankful to those who inherited and kept on with the tradition as best they could, Paco de Lucia and so forth.

If I weren't a nurse I'd SO grow out my right hand nails xD

Not that I'd be any good. Thant stuff is hard.

Lol, sear...your poor nails xD

Matt...

Just extremely light strings - 9-42 - on the archtop electric makes it okay - and I use a very light touch. Very. It hasn't been that hard on the nails at all, although I have them shorter than when I was doing a lot of flamenco as a kid.

I'll add that I don't try classical stuff on the flattop, 6 or 12; I'm much more likely to use either flatpick or more likely on the 12, a thumb and fingerpicks.

Izzy...

I hear what you're saying about being a nurse and the nails. Since I'm on the keyboard most of the day, I can always tell when the trim is needed on the right hand when the nails start clacking on the keys. <grin>

Also, somehow I always considered blues and flamenco the same stuff, just with a different mindset from musical "genetics." Vocal slides... strong rhythms, use of the guitar in a number of ways... Freedom...

Both... I know a lotta flamenco players use various sorts of nail treatments, too. When I was a "kid" 40+ years ago and thought I might somehow "get" flamenco, I used some stuff called "hard as nails" that was pretty well known among pickers. I don't know if it's still out there or not.

Also, oddly using the light strings on the electric for almost everything, I have the nails on the left hand cut down to almost nothing where, when I was playing nylon, I had just a bit of length to literally pick strings with my left for a bit of a more percussive "pull-off" technique. The light steel strings electrified don't seem to like that, and do like a bit more of a caress than I used to do.

m

Archived