Gibson Brands Forums

How do I store my guitar?

Poppy

Please help. What is the best position for my case when storing my guitar. Should it lay flat on the floor' date='

on its side, or standing on its end straight up. Yes I am new to this. Thanks![/quote']

The best way is at my place.

I store mine standing up leaning against several walls in my house.

If for some strange reason your guitar is going to be in its case for months should you take the tension off the neck and loosen the strings or not?

I don't release the tension on any of them, acoustic or electric. If I were playing them everyday, they'd be tuned up all the time anyway so what possible difference could it make? I've heard that the bridge can lift on some acoustics. Possibly a cheapo or extremely old. But the top on my 40+ year old Framus 6 string is still pristine.

Wouldn't one wall be sufficient' date=' Rob? You Californians sure do things the hard way. [confused']

I don't have a single wall with enough unused space to put them all there. One day I'll make one of the spare bedrooms into a music room...now I have guitars in the office, in the office closet, in the family room, (one next to the bar, one next to the piano, two next to the TV along with the violin, and a few in the guest room. They're all cased, but "available". I'd like to keep some in the living room, but the baby grand, but the wife doesn't like the carpet with footprints on it.

Oh...by the way...I thought California WAS southern Oregon!!

Bob

I don't have a single wall with enough unused space to put them all there. One day I'll make one of the spare bedrooms into a music room...now I have guitars in the office' date=' in the office closet, in the family room, (one next to the bar, one next to the piano, two next to the TV along with the violin, and a few in the guest room. They're all cased, but "available". I'd like to keep some in the living room, but the baby grand, but the wife doesn't like the carpet with footprints on it.

Oh...by the way...I thought California WAS southern Oregon!!

Bob[/quote']

Ah yes, I see now. You actually have more than one guitar. [biggrin] I share your predicament...other than the living-room carpet thing. We have dogs and cats instead of a grand piano. It was a difficult choice. But at least footprints don't show in the layer of fur.

A PORTION of northern California is in the "State of Jefferson", which is still promoting secession from the Union. I don't think it comes quite that far down, though. Not much further south than Redding or so. Should be a wonderful revolution if it ever happens. I'll watch it from my porch.

Ah yes' date=' I see now. You actually have more than one guitar. [biggrin'] I share your predicament...other than the living-room carpet thing. We have dogs and cats instead of a grand piano. It was a difficult choice. But at least footprints don't show in the layer of fur.

quote]

Ah, yes... the pets.... well, I have 9 Pugs. They stay in the kennel all day, and in the dog house 'til after we eat dinner, then they all come in. 4 go back with the Wife to the bedroom, and 5 stay out in the family room with me.... they NEVER get in the living room!! (and I rarely get in myself)

And if you know anything about Pugs..... they're "shedding machines"...so multiply that by 9 and you'll understand my situation!

It's too bad we can have LA and SF both succeed from Calif, (and they can take Sacramento with 'em).

Bob

Please help. What is the best position for my case when storing my guitar. Should it lay flat on the floor' date='

on its side, or standing on its end straight up. Yes I am new to this. Thanks![/quote']

Poppy, since you're new to the forum and may lack some required knowledge to properly care for your instruments I have no choice but suggest you send them to me for proper care.

[omg]

Depends on your circumstance.

Kids in the house?

Animals who might knock them over?

Temperature swings?

Keep 'em in the cases when not playing.

Flat or on end doesn't matter one bit that I could imagine...

Me?

Since I have too many to deal with cases and guitars too, I've stashed all the cases and did this in 2 cabinets;

3374000155_1c52f043ea.jpg

1414853771_b23e1dc886.jpg

I've seen too many guitars put away in a case for safe storage that suffered badly warped necks.

You need to keep an eye on them regularly to catch a problem before it gets out of hand.

If for some strange reason your guitar is going to be in its case for months should you take the tension off the neck and loosen the strings or not?

Gibson detunes everything half a step before shipping.

Good enough for me.

Too much slack in the strings means the neck has to return to a stable state of tension again when retuned.

Flirting with disaster in my opinion.

Thanks to all that responded. First, yes, we all would love to have other peoples guitars store at our house but for now I will keep mine at my house. Thanks for the offers. For now keeping them out on stands is not safe, working on getting a music room. Thanks for letting me know that while they are in the case any position is okay, keeping it from a heat source. As far as searching the topic, I know I could have done that, but I would have missed the opportunity to meet others in the forum. I would have missed the tangent on Southern Oregon/Northern California.

My story is that I am an older dude that started play about ten years ago, played for about a year. Put it down until about four months ago. I do not have a big arsenal like some that responded, WOW. I have a Yamaha Pacifica, my beautiful wife bought me ten years ago, and a cheap Bently acoustic. I just received my first Gibson Les Paul Traditional three weeks ago. (Notice I said my first, I hope more to come.) My playing is coming along, starting over again, learning all beginner stuff, you know chords, scales, and starting to pick out a few parts of songs, I like. Thanks for taking the time, and hope to post more and start responding to others. The pictures are coming.

Thanks.

Archived