Gibson Brands Forums

Whats do you think is the coolest solo?

slashadler

Without a doubt EVH.... When my older brother took me to see Van Halen at the Santa Monica Civic in late 1976.

Other than seeing Maynard Ferguson live, watching EVH that evening was a life changing experience for me as a musician...... As a matter of fact the experience may have ruined me as a guitar player for about five years after.[biggrin]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EiKtb0oYmY[/YOUTUBE]

Other than seeing Maynard Ferguson live' date=' watching EVH that evening was a life changing experience for me as a musician...... As a matter of fact the experience may have ruined me as a guitar player for about five years after.[biggrin

I had the pleasure of meeting MF and getting to play with the band for a couple of tunes.

What a musician.

I had the pleasure of meeting MF and getting to play with the band for a couple of tunes.

What a musician.

[blink] WOW...you lucky dog

I''ve been playing trumpet for 36 years' date=' and Claude Gordon (RIP) was my private teacher from 6th grade through my sophomore year in college....... I remember Claude being a little perturbed when I would warm up and belt out a high A above high C and trill the note...[biggrin LOL

Eric Clapton's "Crossroads" Cream ("Wheels of Fire")...after all these years, I still cannot listen to it, without cranking the volume up! Roger McGuinn's "Eight Miles High" with the original Byrds, "Hotel California" The Eagles (just a nice solo that really fits that song), The Beatles "And Your Bird Can Sing," and of course "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," with that interplay between George and EC. And, SO many others...

CB

Even though it's cut and pasted(though you'd be surprised how many solos are)EVH's solo in Beat It floors me everytime I hear it. After nearly 30 years I still haven't grown sick of hearing it.Stops me in my tracks always. Groundbreaking then,groundbreaking now.

One that stands out for me is the solo in "Too cool Queenie" by STP. One of the DeLeo's plays it ( Dean I think ) Its on the list to learn to play. Oh yeah, the intro solo in " Wish you were Here " big time fav as well. Some hard bends in that one, rough on the finger tips.

What a musician.

I had the displeasure of helping out Dave Mancini (Ferguon's one-time drummer) once. I was supposed to get him all of the equipment he needed, at 11:00. He finally showed up at 12:30 and told me he only needed a snare drum, which he had brought himself.

I've heard similar, and worse stories, from other people I know who've worked with him.

"Green Grass and High Tides" by the Outlaws. Years ago (1977 I think), I was visiting a friend at SUNY Brockport and as we were tipping a few back in the quad, I heard this band playing a great cover of this song. As it turned it out, it was not a cover at all, but actually the Outlaws playing a free concert. That place was rocking, because that version was probably 20 minutes long!!!

Archived