Gibson Brands Forums

What don't you like about a Gibson...

pohatu771

What features do Gibson guitars, or a single guitar, even, have that you don't like?

One thing that bothers me, and I just can't get over it, is the ES-135 headstock. Rather than some nice inlay, or leaving blank, even, they have to use some strange font and write "ES-135" on it. It just looks strange, to me.

Another is using open-coil humbuckers on full-pickguard guitars, like the SG Special (modern) or Flying V. Open-coils, to me, require mounting rings.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the below series:

Vixen

Goddess

Don't particularly like: BFGs

I hate that series like the GTs are ridiculously overpriced

I hate the fact that they have discontinued the Les Paul Specials with P90s and that they don't have a steady line of Les Paul with P90s in production (only limited runs - one-offs).

I don't mind that they keep experimenting with new technologies and the fact that they are trying to take the guitar into the future is well respected (and expected as well) from my side. But I do hate the fact that they market the whole story in such a money-sucking way: First the Robot, then the Dark fire adding chameleon tones, then the Dusk Tiger adding new stuff as well... Enough! I would easily chase their Marketing Director in the Gibson factory holding a Dusk tiger in my hands... [lol]

I love pretty much everything else however!!![lol]

Not much to report on my side what I don't like but I'll try.

1- The new techno stuff, dusk tiger and dark fire. I can say I don't like them and that's without playing either. If I played with either of them , might story might change .

2-The fact you spend huge amounts of cash on a standard or traditional and don't get case candy.

3-More P-90's equipped models would be nice

I like tons about Gibsons, but here's what I don't like that they could do:

Add straploks dammit!- You are paying over 1000, cmon Gibson, you can throw in something that to the end user costs 15 bucks.

I would like a model that has a P90 in the neck and a hum in the bridge- I don't know of a production model that has that, my apologies if I am wrong.

What else I don't like? Them not asking me first about the Dusk Tiger, and also, for not sending me an ES-339 Antique Burst, just because [cool]

What features do Gibson guitars' date=' or a single guitar, even, have that you don't like?

One thing that bothers me, and I just can't get over it, is the ES-135 headstock. Rather than some nice inlay, or leaving blank, even, they have to use some strange font and write "ES-135" on it. It just looks strange, to me.

Another is using open-coil humbuckers on full-pickguard guitars, like the SG Special (modern) or Flying V. Open-coils, to me, require mounting rings.[/quote']

The Price...

I like tons about Gibsons' date=' but here's what I don't like that they could do:

Add straploks dammit!- You are paying over 1000, cmon Gibson, you can throw in something that to the end user costs 15 bucks.

I would like a model that has a P90 in the neck and a hum in the bridge- I don't know of a production model that has that, my apologies if I am wrong.

What else I don't like? Them not asking me first about the Dusk Tiger, and also, for not sending me an ES-339 Antique Burst, just because #-o [/quote']

The BFG has that, the Gary Moore BFG is still available.

Add straploks dammit!

What brand?

(Here we go' date=' starting [i']that[/i] whole argument again.....)

If I was running the show in Nashville, they would ALL get Schallers.

Then I'd have to listen to everybody b!tch because they don't like 'em, don't use 'em, or prefer a different brand...

[blink][-(

Oh, and I agree that P-90's should be a regular production item in both solid and semi-hollows.

Gotta love them big single coils!

I hate the below series:

Vixen

Goddess

Don't particularly like: BFGs

I hate that series like the GTs are ridi****usly overpriced

I hate the fact that they have discontinued the Les Paul Specials with P90s and that they don't have a steady line of Les Paul with P90s in production (only limited runs - one-offs).

I don't mind that they keep experimenting with new technologies and the fact that they are trying to take the guitar into the future is well respected (and expected as well) from my side. But I do hate the fact that they market the whole story in such a money-sucking way: First the Robot' date=' then the Dark fire adding chameleon tones, then the Dusk Tiger adding new stuff as well... Enough! I would easily chase their Marketing Director in the Gibson factory holding a Dusk tiger in my hands... [-(

I love pretty much everything else however!!![blink]

+1

What brand?

(Here we go' date=' starting [i']that[/i] whole argument again.....)

If I was running the show in Nashville, they would ALL get Schallers.

Then I'd have to listen to everybody b!tch because they don't like 'em, don't use 'em, or prefer a different brand...

[biggrin][-(

Oh, and I agree that P-90's should be a regular production item in both solid and semi-hollows.

Gotta love them big single coils!

But, if people don't like Schaller's, they can change them to whatever they want, which is what they would have to do now :-s

I love P90s, I want to put one in the neck for my Studio

Yep....the prices! Otherwise' date=' I love 'em!

CB[/quote']

But with the price, comes the quality!

It's killing me, I want a 339 so bad, but I know if it was in the range I could afford (a la Sheraton II) It would be like a Sheraton II, not a 339

I think it could be lower, but eh, I would rather pay for one quality instrument than a ton of decent ones

seriously though. i have found with many gibson electrics that certain models have intonation issues. specifically, g-strings seem to go out of tune regularly causing the player to need to tune after every song. i've noticed this with the models that have the greenish coloured tuners (sorry, not sure of the make). when i've brought this topic up to techs and fellow forumites the response is generally that the nut slots are not properly grooved or lubricated. my good friend has an es-175 that had these issues. he had a tech file the nut slots and after applied nut sauce to them. there was "a"change but not a total solution. i accept this remedy but at the same time i am suspicious that i would find so many examples of this across the board. any one else have thoughts on this?

any one else have thoughts on this?

I've heard these issues for years, but have played Gibsons since I was 11 years old, and still own the old '61 Melody Maker, and have

NEVER

had this problem myself. So I really don't know what you're talking about.

My biggest beef about Gibson is the exorbitant price,I know people say you have to pay for quality but other manufacturers turn out high quality set neck guitars at a much more reasonable price,and they're American or Canadian made also.Maybe if Gibson didn't put money in duds like the Hendrix "Strat"they could bring down their prices.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived