Gibson Brands Forums

The Gibson Forums......

Murph

I'm an old timer. I won't mention any names, but I was here before I bought my J45RW.

It was a fine bunch of friends. We had a common bond.

When "The Lounge" came on line, it was fun.

For a while.

Somehow, it became a "right/left" clusterfeck and lost some class.

Then it lost ALL class.

Gibson came in and "calmed" us down.......

Now, as then, I have to wonder if a "Lounge" is a good idea. Even though I'm in here, ready to argue whatever the point is, at the time............

What I wonder, is this...........

Does anybody really give a damn what a bunch of guitar players think about .....( your issue )......

Probably not.

I just remember when we were a bunch of friends, buddy's, and kind of miss those days. It's a shame when we argue about stupid stuff and miss the fact that we are all in this boat. Love ya.

Just sayin'......

Murph.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, we've gotten at times too far into politics but...

Really, I think it has tended to be mostly on issues that musicians, full or part time, find of interest.

E.g., guitar storage cabinets... <grin>

To me the problems have arisen when we've gotten into partisan stuff from a general, rather than a musicians' perspective. For example, government health care does, to me, have some interesting potential points of argument from a specific perspective of professional musicians and other artists as "small business" operators in a rather unique sort of way different from other types of "small business."

But ...

What the heck.

m

government health care does' date=' to me, have some interesting potential points of argument from a specific perspective of professional musicians and other artists as "small business" operators in a rather unique sort of way different from other types of "small business."

[/quote']

Yea....

Bill me now. Let me in later......

When "The Lounge" came on line' date=' it was fun.

Then it lost ALL class.

[/quote']

You are right... it lost all class.

I just remember when we were a bunch of friends' date=' buddy's, and kind of miss those days. It's a shame when we argue about stupid stuff and miss the fact that we are all in this boat. Love ya.

[/quote']

I think we can blame buddy light for that [biggrin]

Anyway... the only way of going back to the old days is trying to be a little more respectful of what others think and about how others might feel about wat we post.

I'm trying (I even went and gave buckethead a try[biggrin] ), but for the most part, people here seem to be out for blood lately.

We should all remember it's just a guitar forum. And guitars are what brought us here, what made us friends, what gave us lots of good times.

Now the question is: how many of you think a guitar is more powerful than a party? (poll commin')

I joined because I like how it seems, we are one big HAPPY family. We all have a common interest(s) and we can talk about just about anything. I will say though, politics shouldn't be here. I hate the political game myself.

I like how I can post a question like : hey when I turn my tuning key right, why does it go left? When I take a little blue pill, why does this happen? You know stupid things like that lol.

I know I'm still new here but I thought I'd try to share a bit.

I joined because I like how it seems' date=' we are one big HAPPY family. We all have a common interest(s) and we can talk about just about anything. I will say though, politics shouldn't be here. I hate the political game myself.

I like how I can post a question like : hey when I turn my tuning key right, why does it go left? When I take a little blue pill, why does this happen? You know stupid things like that lol.

I know I'm still new here but I thought I'd try to share a bit. [/quote']

I have an idea. If you quit using those blue pills your key might work right. Just sayin'... [biggrin]

*chuckle*

It's like a playground or a Gamers site.

There WAS a time when we came here to discuss matters of music and guitars.

Now it seems more like it's just to dis...

Have a great evening.

And light a candle.

Yeah, it's not always "partisan" as such.

One thing that bothers me, for example, in terms of stuff like health care and playing music as a business is that in the olden days the musicians union kinda got into that stuff and out here in the hinterlands of American, that's as dead as a doornail. That means it's more expensive for local musicians to buy into health insurance than if there were a "group" available - and I've not seen government efforts to help with that little difficulty or for the union to seem to care.

Another similar point - and remember, I'm a guy who's typically referred to as being somewhere to the right of Attila the Hun - is the advantage of the musicians union having a basic "scale" that gives a player an idea what the going rate is in a given area for a gig.

In fact, it gets to me that in spite of several emails to the closest locals and even the "big guys," I've not yet gotten a response from whoever supposedly is a "wheel." But then, that kinda goes along with the dislike of rock band guys when I carried a union card in the '60s and you were almost told to leave the local's Christmas party after you ate supper. Gee, I wonder why there ain't no locals around any more.

So believe me, I'm no fan of unions in 90 percent of arguments.

But what I mentioned above is where I think "political" discussions should be - impersonal regardless of one's personal opinions. Argue the points, not the other guy.

And yeah, boy some of the arguments we've heard here had no resemblance to logical discussion of an issue. That's sad. It's one thing to say, "I dislike Fender necks," but it's a whole 'nother thing to say, "If you like Fender necks, you're some kind of a stupid jerk."

m

some folks like to dish it out but they can't take it when it gets pushed back in their faces. things escalate when some blow hard decides to crap all over someone else's POV as opposed to gently disagreeing. it's been fairly calm lately and uncontroversial, which is fine with me. i'm always ready to go a few rounds but i won't instigate it. i get all the guitar related jib jab i need in the acoustic forum as that's where my primary interest lies. the big butthole over there left in a huff and everything been peachy since, for the most part. mods come and go and it's thankless job. i think we've been fairly lucky up to now that the whole shebang hasn't been shut down. i like it here. as long as folks remember respect isn't a right, it's earned, stuff should be cool.

Archived