Gibson Brands Forums

Fretboard Care

Rocky4

The above suuggestions work.

Sounds like you have not oiled it before.

I would suggest giving it a pass with lemon oil, let it soak overnight and then give it another pass the next day let it soak for 10 minute sor so and then wipe the excess oil giving the fretboard a mild polishing.

Also, when applying do it against the grain and with the grain so the oil works into the wood.

Here's a bunch of good information. It's written by Ed Boyle who makes Fret Doctor. Note that he states a lot of oils, like almond oil, walnut oil and lemon oil (food grade) are OK to use, so he's not necessarily saying "use Fret Doctor or your fretboard will crack off." Of all the products I've used though I like Fret Doctor the best...

Yep, Lemon oil is fine.

If you have a problem with fingerboard grime from getting hot and sweaty on stage (or if you have just bought a not very well looked after guitar) then you need a fretboard cleaner and a deep conditioner to use on occasions to get the board back into condition, something like Duncan's 6502 Fretboard Care Kit, contained 1 bottle of each.

Cool, I did not oil the fretboard on my LP for 3 years, only chicken wing or tacos grease from my fingers while eating before playing, there was oil and grime on the neck of my LP enough to protect it on those spots since apparently I do not use all the notes on the neck.

Trust me, lemon oil works better.

Oh yea and I wanted to bump this for Tim to see.

Archived