Gibson Brands Forums

New guy with new SG Standard!

Burstbucker

Hi guys, new guy here!

I'm pretty stoked, a couple of weeks ago I was looking through Kijiji and saw that a guy just up the road from me was selling his near mint, two year old SG Standard with hardshell case for $750.00 Canadian (appx.$703.00 USD)

I wasn't planning on buying another guitar but this seemed like a deal too good to pass up, so I scrambled over to the banking machine and got over to his place in a hurry, I knew that it wouldn't last long at that price. #-o

The guitar is near mint and is a real looker in that beautiful Heritage Cherry finish. It plays great and sounds just as good too.

I already had a Les Paul Standard and never dreamed that I'd ever get to add an SG to my collection but I lucked out this time.

I'm so happy with my new axe that I thought that I'd share my good fortune with you guys.

DSCN6504.jpg

DSCN6501.jpg

DSCN6500.jpg

DSCN6507.jpg

DSCN6503.jpg

Nice SG.

It's good whan you drop on something worth buying at a reasonable price.

[biggrin]

Edit.........

Just looked through the photos again and unless the fretboard is a very light coloured wood I would suggest that you give it a coat of Lemon oil as it looks a might dry to me.... or deep conditioner if it looks to be very, very dry.

It may of course just be the flash off the camera causing it to look dry.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, what a sweet guitar and for such a great price too, I just had to jump on it quick, I knew that he would sell this axe super fast at that price. And does it ever play and sound good, maaaannnnnnnnn!

BTW, the flash probably exaggerated the lightness of the fretboard, I took this picture in the man cave down in the basement, but with that being said it still could use a little coating of lemon oil and I'm glad that you brought that up, that's something that I'll do tonight. Thanks a lot guys!

I looked this thing over really close under the light tonight and dang, it is indeed a three piece body. Actually, it's two large slabs and one tiny little sliver where your forearm sits. So, maybe it's a two-piece plus a sliver?![biggrin]

I'm no expert on SG guitars but in the past I was under the assumption that most SGs were made of one solid slab of Mahogany, guess that's not the case. Even though I'd be happier with a one-piece body, this little guitar was still a lucky find, that's a lot of guitar for $700.00 USD IMHO.

This thing is sooooo light compared to my Les Paul Standard, I'm loving that! And it plays so easily and the tone suits me just fine.

I always liked the typical speckled wood grain but I love the dark lines running down the front of this one, gives it some character I guess. The back of this guitar has the more usual uniform speckled wood grain pattern.

DSCN6508.jpg

DSCN6509.jpg

DSCN6510.jpg

DSCN6511.jpg

Thank you SGplayer1994!

This guitar looks like the two big sections of the body are from the same slab of Mahogany and they then split it in two and it ended up with that book-matched pattern on the front of the guitar, then there was a tiny little sliver (appx. 1"wide) missing to finish off the upper bout, so they ended up with a 3-piece body.

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed that this thing isn't at least a 2-piece body but like I said before, it basically is but they were just shy an inch to do so, oh well, it's still a hot little guitar and I just love looking at it and playing it is a real joy.

I already had three electric guitars before scoring this SG and I really didn't need another axe but I always loved the SG guitar but never managed to get myself one and this was my once in a lifetime chance to get one at a very affordable price, so I'm a happy camper![biggrin]

I think that the fact that my guitar has those matching big dark lines through it draws more attention to the possibility of it being more then one piece of wood, whereas an SG with a plainer speckled top has a better chance of hiding the fact that there's more then one piece of wood there, is that possible?

How common is it to get SGs in a 1-piece body anyway? And how much of an effect on tone is there having multiple pieces of wood instead of one solid slab?

Well, I just looked at my MIJ '61 SG (Epiphone Japan). It seems to be one piece, but it "could" be 2...it's so well match (if it is)

that I can't really see any seam or miss match of wood! So...???

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

I DO need to get a shot of the back, someday. But, it sure looks to be one(?) piece! It's

tempting, to think there is a seam or seams, where the dark stripes are, but if you look at

it in person, they aren't really straight enough, to be the edges of a seam. And, it doesn't

show, that way, on the back. Plus, you can't see any seam lines, on the back edge or

in the horn cutaways. So...???

CB

I think if you look really carefully, you'll find that it IS a 1 piece body--What you are seeing I believe are just the lines of grain,which coincidently LOOK like separate pieces. My 61 looks like that, but when I look under a magnifier,I can see that it is the grain. From my knowledge, I think SG's were ALWAYS 1 piece,and even from the photo, you can see the lines aren't perfectly straight.

Heres a piece of advice for you guys who aren't sure how many pieces your guitar is.

If you turn the guitar to the side and look towards the strap button you will clearly be able to see where the pieces join.

The grain will be crossed for strength.

Exactly...and, in the case of mine, there are no seams. The "official" Gibson spec, is a ONE piece

body. Now, does that actually mean 1 single piece of wood, or...just no laminated top, as with

some Les Pauls?

CB

Don't know if they use a single piece or a piece cut in 2 and glued down the middle, I always assumed one piece.

The Gibson site has nothing on the SG specs but it does refer to "a solid Mahogany Body" and even the VOS ones say the same.

However, the '59-RI Korina V also states that the body is made from "solid Korina" and it is quite obvious that the body is of 2 piece construction joined down the centre.

Then just for a bit of a laugh the Les Paul Tribute 1952 quite clearly states " Each Les Paul Tribute 1952 is topped with a two-piece maple top that fits snugly onto a two-piece mahogany body."

So I am still none the wiser as : -

"solid Korina" = 2 pieces....

The Tribute LP actually stating " two-piece mahogany body"

Given the above then "Solid mahogany" could mean anything.....:D

This is just as bad as trying to date a mid '60 Gibson.

Best thing will probably be to e-mail Gibbo Customer Service mob with the question and (maybe) get it settled once and for all.

Solid doesn't necessarily mean one-piece, it just means it's solid wood as opposed to a laminate.

Solid top-acoustic guitars are still (often) multiple pieces.

Not many guitars are made of one piece. There isn't enough wood to do it.

You can see them glue two pieces together to make an SG in one of the factory tour videos.

I have a question then. Does the seam where the 2 or 3 pieces are glued

together change the resonance of the guitar. I can see where one piece

the resonance would be more uniform but would it change at the glue

seam. If it's 2 different pieces of wood the resonance wood be different

wouldn't it?

CW

I have a question then. Does the seam where the 2 or 3 pieces are glued

together change the resonance of the guitar. I can see where one piece

the resonance would be more uniform but would it change at the glue

seam. If it's 2 different pieces of wood the resonance wood be different

wouldn't it?

CW

My Special resonates really well, I've played Standards and 61 re-issues, and from what I can tell mine is on par, sounds great unplugged. From what I've learned about resonance, if it sings out when it is unplugged you have a pretty good guitar, am I correct???

Thank you SGplayer1994!

This guitar looks like the two big sections of the body are from the same slab of Mahogany and they then split it in two and it ended up with that book-matched pattern on the front of the guitar' date=' then there was a tiny little sliver (appx. 1"wide) missing to finish off the upper bout, so they ended up with a 3-piece body.

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed that this thing isn't at least a 2-piece body but like I said before, it basically is but they were just shy an inch to do so, oh well, it's still a hot little guitar and I just love looking at it and playing it is a real joy.

I already had three electric guitars before scoring this SG and I really didn't need another axe but I always loved the SG guitar but never managed to get myself one and this was my once in a lifetime chance to get one at a very affordable price, so I'm a happy camper![lol

I think that the fact that my guitar has those matching big dark lines through it draws more attention to the possibility of it being more then one piece of wood, whereas an SG with a plainer speckled top has a better chance of hiding the fact that there's more then one piece of wood there, is that possible?

How common is it to get SGs in a 1-piece body anyway? And how much of an effect on tone is there having multiple pieces of wood instead of one solid slab?

Well I could be wrong, but I believe my '09 Standard is a 1- Piece. If it's not, it is a two piece with a very good match in grain and color. Good luck though, sounds like a great buy.

Archived