Gibson Brands Forums

I got in a car accident today.

Dub-T-123

I still can't really believe it happened.

As many of you know, the weather has been pretty bad in California.

Today it was raining and hailing and the driving conditions sucked.

I was giving my friend a ride home since it was raining and he would have had to walk home. I was making a left turn and my back tires started to lose traction. My car was swerving right into a head on collision so I over corrected to the right and lost control. I went up on a (tall) curb and was heading straight into a house still going pretty fast. Luckicly the impact from the curb and the steep grass slope helped stop me. I stopped about a foot away from a house. My front tires blew out and one of my rims is smashed. I got towed back to my house. It seems like there is no damage other than the tires and wheel.

I was amazed at the lack of damage because I plowed up the curb and then had to back off it again.

I'm alright and my airbags didn't deploy. It was just really scary and a real adreneline jump. It happened about 4 hours ago and I still feel it. It was really intense. Luckily I didn't hurt anybody or myself and my car seems to be in pretty good shape.

I wasn't going too fast but I gave it too much gas and when it shifted it lost traction.

I would have easily pulled out of it but it was a really narrow street. One lane each way. It was either a head on crash or the curb. I took the curb.

Mainly my car was just out of control.

I left Wednesday for Ventura for a dog show... I made it to San Jose and 101 was closed due to flooding, so I turned around and came home...it's been nice to have these 3 days off here.......

I'm glad you're okay, Dub.... good people are hard to come by.

Glad you're OK, Dub...and the damage was minimal. But, (you probably know this, already)...

check your front suspension, and alignment. Pretty sure, you'll need at least an "alignment"

after something like that. And maybe(?) the oil pan, seals, etc...if it rubbed against the

embankment, (knocked loose, etc.) at all? Better safe than sorry, as they say. ;>)

CB

Glad you're ok...

We've got other kinds of slippery here and I worry about anybody's slippery.

Li'l different here, though. Fog every day for a week or so leaves hoarfrost and black ice.

It's truly a time for most of us to keep an eye on road conditions, especially when we think it's relatively safe.

Your experience is a good example - and I'm darned glad you're unhurt.

m

Glad you lived to tell the tale. [crying]

If'n you hit the curb hard enough to bust two tires and bend one (probably both) rims, you probably did a number on the front suspension, i.e. strut towers and steering mechanism. Best take to a reputable mechanic to assess the ENTIRE damage. Since you have insurance like you're supposed to, remember this: when you are talking to insurance adjusters, you are in a negotiating session, whether you realize it or not.

More often than not, the insurance company will offer much less than they are legally required to pay. Once you sign on the dotted line that you accept the offer, they're in the clear. Many times the 'dotted line' signifying you accept their payment as full payment of damages and release them from further responsiblity, is the endorsement line on the check they hand you. Don't be too eager to accept their first offer. I would like to say you should NEVER accept their first offer, but there is the odd case where you get a reputable figure. In these economic times, the incentive is quite keen to try to take the other guy for more than one should... watch your back side (that's where your wallet is).

If I were a disreputable adjuster, I'd be tickled to just buy you two tires and a rim. If your ins company does their own inspections, spend the green to get an independent inspection and a written quote. Then, you will have some negotiating leverage.

Again, I'm glad you came through unscathed. Just make sure your wallet makes it through unscathed.

Yeah I'm kinda worried that something might have been damaged under there. I was shocked to see my bumper was still in tact.

It all happened so fast it's kindof a blur.

My brother is a mechanic and he gonna jack her up and take a look under there tommorow.

It could have been way worse' date=' glad it was not..[/quote']

That's what I was thinking! It sounds like providence stepped in at the last moment and saved you from a much worse fate! Don't be surprised if you're a bit sore tomorrow, even tho' you may not feel it tonight. Glad you're okay.

Thanks again guys [rolleyes]

I got the car up and running again today. Looked real hard to find something wrong but everything seems fine. I got a new tire and used the spare for the smashed wheel.

I'll have to use the spare for a little while until I can find a replacement wheel.

No weird noises. No leaking. I haven't noticed any alignment problems but I haven't gone over 45 yet.

Everything seems good.

Archived