Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal Overdrive or Amp Overdrive?

Andre S

Which do you primarily use for overdriven sounds?

If pedal, say why and which pedal do you use?

If amp, say why?

I'm trying to decide between using an amp such as a Champion 600 for overdrive to a pedal such as a mxr boost/overdrive....

Just trying to figure out pros and cons of each....

Right now I'm using the build in Distortion channel on my practice amp, but that doesn't really count.

I see distinct advantages to running pedals, though. Tone-wise, the primary advantage of keeping a few pedals on hand is versatility. Fuzz sounds different than distortion sounds different than boost, etc. If I were running an EHX Big Muff, an MXR Fullbore Metal and an Ibanez TS-808, for instance, and if it were through an amp with a clean channel and a switchable high-gain stage, I'd have a lot of different tonal possibilities--and we're not even getting into what clean boosts, treble boosters and multi-band EQ can do to your tone!

So honestly, I'm going to have to say that both methods have their advantages, but I get the feeling that if you're playing heavy rock music you don't need much clean headroom.

I firmly believe in starting with a good, solid clean sound and building off of that so it's OD from a pedal. I love the sound of a no master volume amp cranked to 11, but it doesn't clean up well. My rig? A Slivertone 1484 and a Maxon OD808 for dirt. Using the OD808 gives me more flexibility. I can really push it by cranking the overdrive knob or pull back for some hot dirty.

Not a fan of two channel amps, amps with more than volume, treble, & bass knobs, or distorition (OD and fuzz only, please).

I firmly believe in starting with a good' date=' solid clean sound and building off of that so it's OD from a pedal. [/quote']

+1.

That's where I stand as well. Especially if you're not playing big gigs, I think that this is the way to go. And pedals mean versatility and you can always combine them.

evol's right. Pedals enable you to change up your sound easily. On my practice rig at home I have an Electro Harmonix Big Muff, a DOD Preamp 250, and a Boss DS-1. Each one gives me a different sound.

A little of both. I use a master volume amp set so it's clean (actually, it's the amp's clean channel with the gain set up all the way which is clean with a Strat, a little dirty with humbuckers) and then boost it with boost/overdrive pedal that' set to have just a little bit of dirt in it but mostly boosting volume to drive the amp's preamp harder.

I use this:

6a00e398cde5cd00010123dda56204860b-500pi

and anyone within a 2 mile radius knows about it.

Put a compressor in the FX loop and you will blow people's sock off.

I've never owned a distortion pedal. Played around with a mate's RAT, but I didn't like it compared to tube heaven.

Cool.

I always gigged with an 800 and mostly a quad(very rarely would stack it-TOO loud these days unfortunately)but ran it clean as possible with an ME-5. Still,I think it's one of the great muti-FX planks.

Now I use nil. Straight in-out. Except for a TS-9.

Which do you primarily use for overdriven sounds?

If pedal' date=' say why and which pedal do you use?

If amp, say why?

I'm trying to decide between using an amp such as a Champion 600 for overdrive to a pedal such as a mxr boost/overdrive....

Just trying to figure out pros and cons of each....[/quote']

i notice you have a line 6 spider...is it the 2x12 150 model?, mine is and i mainly use the (slipknot) pre-set for my distortion needs...with a little adjustment to the tone knobs, also up front i use a boss ns2 noise supressor. i have two overdrive and distortion pedals but i always seem to go back to the amp pre-sets...:-k

Cool.

I always gigged with an 800 and mostly a quad(very rarely would stack it-TOO loud these days unfortunately)but ran it clean as possible with an ME-5. Still' date='I think it's one of the great muti-FX planks.

Now I use nil. Straight in-out. Except for a TS-9. [/quote']

Nice. That Marshall of mine is a 2x12 50w all tube combo - which is plenty loud and easy to get to rehearsals.

The 2x12 extn cab is for medium sized venues.

So the most I ever push is 4x12.

It does look the business though :-k

Most fellas here will play a 4x12 head and cab - this gets some appreciative looks for being a bit different. I loaded the cab with non-stock speakers myself too (learning all about ohms and serial vs parallel in the process) so it really is one of a kind.

I firmly believe in starting with a good' date=' solid clean sound and building off of that so it's OD from a pedal. I love the sound of a no master volume amp cranked to 11, but it doesn't clean up well. My rig? A Slivertone 1484 and a Maxon OD808 for dirt. Using the OD808 gives me more flexibility. I can really push it by cranking the overdrive knob or pull back for some hot dirty.

Not a fan of two channel amps, amps with more than volume, treble, & bass knobs, or distorition (OD and fuzz only, please).[/quote']

That's my view too. I don't have the luxury of cranking my amp. So I run clean and then use my Fulltone OCD to add some crunch when needed.

Nice. That Marshall of mine is a 2x12 50w all tube combo - which is plenty loud and easy to get to rehearsals.

The 2x12 extn cab is for medium sized venues.

So the most I ever push is 4x12.

It does look the business though [biggrin]

Most fellas here will play a 4x12 head and cab - this gets some appreciative looks for being a bit different. I loaded the cab with non-stock speakers myself too (learning all about ohms and serial vs parallel in the process) so it really is one of a kind.

Same here.

Made my own 2 x 12". Loaded it up with Eminence Legends 16ohms(wish they were 8's)and away she goes...

Does fine for jams and the mainly what I use it for now,recording through my Vox Pathfinder .Don't snigger,these little amps are value for money and do exactly what I want them for.

Then...we come to my Marshall C5 and all is hunky dory.[-(

Pulling apart and re-wiring things/amps/speakers(easy as) is the best way to learn basic hands on speaker/amp 101.

So yeah...the 800 doesn't get fired up much these daze...:-k

Same here.

Made my own 2 x 12". Loaded it up with Eminence Legends 16ohms(wish they were 8's)and away she goes...

Does fine for jams and the mainly what I use it for now' date='recording through my Vox Pathfinder .Don't snigger,these little amps are value for money and do exactly what I want them for.

Then...we come to my Marshall C5 and all is hunky dory.[biggrin

Pulling apart and re-wiring things/amps/speakers(easy as) is the best way to learn basic hands on speaker/amp 101.

So yeah...the 800 doesn't get fired up much these daze...:-k

I looked into the Eminence range - but in the end went for a Marshall Heritage and Marshall Vintage (to match the amp).

+1 on wiring things up yourself - by far the best way to learn and when it's up n' running you can sit warm in the knowledge that "I did that". I even made my own speaker wire.

It's a sub-hobby and it saves £££'s.

Same goes for guitars - I've changed out pups, caps, and pots etc. Far more educational than paying some techy who probably only knows marginally more than you do. I stop at the 'luthier' side of things - my next idea is get my Lester plek'd.

Need to find a machine though... [-(

I looked into the Eminence range - but in the end went for a Marshall Heritage and Marshall Vintage (to match the amp).

+1 on wiring things up yourself - by far the best way to learn and when it's up n' running you can sit warm in the knowledge that "I did that". I even made my own speaker wire.

It's a sub-hobby and it saves £££'s.

Same goes for guitars - I've changed out pups' date=' caps, and pots etc. Far more educational than paying some techy who probably only knows marginally more than you do. I stop at the 'luthier' side of things - my next idea is get my Lester plek'd.

Need to find a machine though... [-(

[/quote']

A big :-k mate.

Only way ta go bullet. [biggrin]

Deppends on the amp I'm using and the volume I'm playing at.

For solid state amps: pedal or multifx pedalboard (mailny the tonelab LE)

For some tube amps a boss sd1, it's cheap, it's ugly, but does the job.

When using the fender supersonic, just the amp, that thing's got enough gain for all the band :-k

It's different for me for every amp. I've had really clean amp and I'll use a overdrive and distortion pedal. Right now I'm using a EVH 5150 head and I have it set for cleans and rythm and leads. But I use the fulldrove mosfet 2 for my overdrive. The amp is very high gain so I need a pedal for a crunch.

i notice you have a line 6 spider...is it the 2x12 150 model?' date=' mine is and i mainly use the (slipknot) pre-set for my distortion needs...with a little adjustment to the tone knobs, also up front i use a boss ns2 noise supressor. i have two overdrive and distortion pedals but i always seem to go back to the amp pre-sets...[cool']

Nope.

Line 6 Spider 3 15W combo amp.

1x8 speaker...

I just use the crunch channel on it for distortion, but

I am trying to sell it..

To replace it and to pair with my Fender Super Champ ( awesome cleans)

I was going to use a Fender Champ 600 for a dirty sound

Or a MXR boost/overdrive

only $10 difference.

Archived