Gibson Brands Forums

i bumped into brian may...

S t e v e

hi all, i went to peter greens long awaited comeback gig in "95 at the shepards bush empire here in london, whilst waiting for peter to take the stage i turned around to look at the bar and i saw a big head of hair supping on a pint...it was brian may! [biggrin] , i calmly walked towards him (so as not to scare him)[lol] shook his hand and said "hello brian, i'm a big fan of yours" he said "thank you" but then there was this big pause that seemed to go on forever with us just shaking hands not knowing what else to say [blush] , with that i removed my hand from his...said "bye" and scurried off back to my seat!, it was one of them classic moments when you have so much to ask but when the time comes your mind just goes blank [blink]...have any of you guys ever met someone you looked up to but your mind has gone blank at the wrong time?

p.s peter green was brilliant...for an old timer :-

That'd be cool to meet him, I'm a big fan of Brian May.

A couple of weeks ago Geddy Lee from Rush was in the one music store...trying out a bass. I didn't even approach him...I was too nervous. Yes I knew it was him...just his looks alone gave it away but also that man can play bass !!!

hi all' date=' i went to peter greens long awaited comeback gig in "95 at the shepards bush empire here in london, whilst waiting for peter to take the stage i turned around to look at the bar and [b']i saw a big head of hair supping on a pint[/b]...[biggrin] , i calmly walked towards him (so as not to scare him)[lol] shook his hand and said "hello brian, i'm a big fan of yours"

Are you sure it wasn't Slash?

[blink]

I had a similar experience with Henry Rollins. I was at a club to see Rollins Band and he was hanging off to the side of the room kind of bouncing his back against a wall; I walked up to him and said something like, "Hey, Henry. I'm psyched to see the show!" and he sort of mumbled back, "Cool, man" and continued to bounce against the wall. At that point, I had nothing more to talk to him about so I said, "Have a great show" and he grunted back "Thanks." I've actually bumped into him a few other times over the years and we have a mutual acquaintance but, what can you say? I don't know the guy and he doesn't know me and I don't want to bug him.

When I used to live in Huntsville, Alabama back in the 80's Lynyrd Skynyrd came to town. After the show me and some buddies were at the hotel bar across the street from the stadium. I was standing in line to buy all my friends some drinks when Leon Wilkenson (their bass player) came up behind me and we talked a little bit and I offered to buy him a shot of what we were having ~ Jaegermister.

He took the shot, caughed and asked "What the hell was that?" We all told him and he said, "Don't give me anymore of that 'stuff'"

later I bought Billy Powell a beer but all he was doing was chasing skirts and he didn't want to talk to any dudes.

I also met Larry Carlton this past August at a meet & greet session. Also last year another Jazzer named Jeff Golub up in Winter Park, Colorado after the show.

I've met some famous Christian artist and now I'm building them each an amp.

have any of you guys ever met someone you looked up to but your mind has gone blank at the wrong time?

Vincent Furnier. I used to work in a hotel where he was staying. He had just come back from playing golf.

This may sound dorky, but now I plan ahead what I'm going to say to certain people that I know I have a good chance of running into. It works.

That'd be cool to meet him' date=' I'm a big fan of Brian May.

A couple of weeks ago Geddy Lee from Rush was in the one music store...trying out a bass. I didn't even approach him...I was too nervous. Yes I knew it was him...just his looks alone gave it away but also that man can play bass !!! [/quote']

That is so cool. Would have even been better if it was Alex Lifeson, man could I pick his brain if I had some time with him. But then again, I'd probably freeze up too.

That was exactly my response when I met Paul McCartney... I shook his hand' date=' we made eye contact for about 3 seconds, then my wife broke the ice by telling Paul how handsome he is[biggrin'] .....

duane you gotta tell the story how you met the man. I hate you......... not really but would love to meet him and just say thanks. He along with the rest of the Beatles have inspired me for a lifetime.

A couple of weeks ago Geddy Lee from Rush was in the one music store...trying out a bass. I didn't even approach him...I was too nervous. Yes I knew it was him...just his looks alone gave it away but also that man can play bass !!!

What music store? What bass was he trying out?

Great stories! As a huge Rush fan I would love to meet those guys. Geddy just seems like a pretty down to earth guy and probably approachable. You should have hit a liquor store and brought over a few beers. It is the Canadian way right? [crying]

I am showing my age here but back in 1981 or 1982 my mother was asked to meet for some drinks after work with a friend of hers. Her husband was a musician and some of his friends were going to be there. So she starts telling us the next day that there were two British guys there that were very nice named Phil and Robert. She said she kept making fun of Phil's suit because it was too big for him. It was the 80's so you get the idea. So as they were leaving her friend is saying you know who those guys were right? My mom is saying, yeah Phil and Robert. It was Phil Collins and Robert Plant. Apparently they were looking at her husband to possibly do some work on the Pictures At 11 album they were doing.

Great stories! As a huge Rush fan I would love to meet those guys. Geddy just seems like a pretty down to earth guy and probably approachable. You should have hit a liquor store and brought over a few beers. It is the Canadian way right? [lol]

I am showing my age here but back in 1981 or 1982 my mother was asked to meet for some drinks after work with a friend of hers. Her husband was a musician and some of his friends were going to be there. So she starts telling us the next day that there were two British guys there that were very nice named Phil and Robert. She said she kept making fun of Phil's suit because it was too big for him. It was the 80's so you get the idea. So as they were leaving her friend is saying you know who those guys were right? My mom is saying' date=' yeah Phil and Robert. It was Phil Collins and Robert Plant. Apparently they were looking at her husband to possibly do some work on the Pictures At 11 album they were doing.

[/quote']

[crying]

i got to meet colin james after his gig in saskatoon last week. Very nice guy even when i gave him grief for not playing the song national steel.. he was about to but the road crew had tuned his national steel guitar wrong and he didnt have time to retune.

despite that it was a superb night, great music, some classic guitars to drool over and its all added by the fact my fiance is a fan too and loves guitars almost as much as me. managed to get a photo of him and my girl and her cousin even though he wasnt doing photos.. we guilted him into it..lol

if you get the chance go see his show and meet him later. he is a gent and takes time to speak to his fans rather than just sign things and have you moved on

That was exactly my response when I met Paul McCartney... I shook his hand' date=' we made eye contact for about 3 seconds, then my wife broke the ice by telling Paul how handsome he is[biggrin'] .....

Nice! lol...Paul has said he realizes that people get tongue tied around him. Im sure

hes used to it by now.

duane you gotta tell the story how you met the man. I hate you......... not really but would love to meet him and just say thanks. He along with the rest of the Beatles have inspired me for a lifetime.

Met him at the Amoeba Record Store in Hollywood in 2007...... He played 7 to 8 songs..... Pretty remarkable day for me and my wife[cool]

I have never met any one super famous but I have met Dudley Taft from the 90s band sweetwater, he also plays in a band called Spike and the Impalers. I go see him at this sweet place by my grandparents house (I go with my awesome grandpa [biggrin] ). He plays with his own band which plays texas blues and god they kick ***. He is such a great guitarist. I actually have seen him there so much and talked to him so much I consider him a friend. At first I just talked to him about his rig and his guitars but after a while we just started talking about music in general and the kind of stuff I play and he gives me lots of advice. He once told me to make sure to eat my vegetables, he was totally serious! [laugh]

When ever I see any really good bands I always go up to all the members and talk to them after though show. I feel like I learn a lot about music this way and they usually seem really willing to talk about stuff. I don't ever really have a problem with thinking of things to talk about. If you really can't think of anything just talk guitar. [biggrin]

I met Brian May at a Guitar Center signing some years ago...

My mind went blank too... damn it!

Never been "star struck" before but it did happen...

BM, my biggest guitar hero - I nearly pissed myself at the last moment... CRAP!!!

I'll get a chance to meet OZZY F'N OZBOURNE tomorrow, I'm pissing' my self right now...

Meeting your life long rock idols... great way to feel like a complete dork...

Just what I need right now......

Brian May / Ozzy Ozbourne... F - Yeah!!!!!!!!!

Archived