Gibson Brands Forums

I like guitars...

OKlunchbox

...I really like Gibson guitars. I'd bet that you do to...that's why you're here. My name is Dylan and I like to talk about guitars. I don't need you to check a serial #, tell me if this is a fake guitar, or tell me what pickups are in my guitar. I just want to talk about Gibson Les Paul's.

I bought my first Gibson in January and the owner of the shop told me about these forums. He told me they were a place where players, enthusiasts, beginners, novices, and pros all hung out and shared stories, tips, tricks, and pictures all dedicated to these beautiful instruments.

I have learned a lot on these forums, and enjoyed doing it. I enjoy meeting new people. I enjoy(ed) how Raptor was pretty much a Gibson encyclopedia and with enough information could probably tell you what minute your Gibson had it's quality check list signed and left the factory (for god's sake don't ask though). I enjoy that you can ask just about any relevant question here and usually have it answered post haste. I even enjoy that I could probably publish a coffee table photo book devoted to Tim A's silverburst Custom with all of the pictures he's put up of it ( on with his permission of course. haha.)

What I don't enjoy are the back handed and hurtful comments being made. Whether they are offensive because they were taken out of context, or they were specifically directed and really just mean, they all have no place on forums that should be dedicated to discussing some of the finest musical instruments in the world. I'd really like to see this trend chance and start talking about guitars again.

So if you made it though that and you're not signing off to go do something productive I did think of a question to try and find out peoples other musical tastes. If you could have a private one on one lesson with someone who would it be. Really think about this one, because I'd rather not see a bunch of people listing the usual suspects all over again.

Personally I'd love to sit down with Leo Kottke. Either him or Dave Knudson from Minus the Bear. If you haven't heard either of them you really owe it to yourself to check them out.

OK I'm done now. I look forward to talking about guitars with you soon.

So, from what I understand, you want to see more of my silverburst?

It's a Gibson guitar forum...where else am I supposed to post them?

I can't help it, it's the nicest guitar I've ever laid my eyes on. I'm not trying to gloat or anything at the fact that I have one or rub it in people's faces. I'm just sharing pictures of what I find to be one of the nicest Les Pauls. I'd take it over any RI, Robot, Brazilian or signature guitar...really. If I'm overdoing it, let me know.

Anyways, back to your question, sorry, but I can't pick just one.

...not limiting my choices to Les Paul players, my first choice would have to be Tom Morello - Rage Against the Machine. He's Hendrix reincarnated, as far as I'm concerned. My second choice would be Eddie Vedder - Pearl Jam. I've seen a lot of concerts and a lot of great bands...the first time I saw Pearl Jam I was blown away.

...however, seeing as this is the Les Paul forum, if I had to pick a Les Paul player I would pick the man himself. He was before my time, but must have had a huge impact on the music world...large enough that a guitar line named after him.

...I really like Gibson guitars.

If you could have a private one on one lesson with someone who would it be. Really think about this one' date=' because I'd rather not see a bunch of people listing the usual suspects all over again. [/quote']

Usual suspect I'm afraid, Jimmy Page.

Where in Kansas are you?

I grew up in Ulysses, my oldest daughter is there.

Lotsa friends in Wichita.

Yo Dylan, your all right. I really enjoyed your letter, vary well put. To answer your topic question, without stirring up anything, I do realize this is a gibson forum. As you said, you thought of a question to find out peoples other musical tastes.

SRV man hands down. The one and only for me.

Ever since and just before he really made it big, I saw him up close, play live at the chicago fest, downtown at the loop in chicago, Illinois. And he did play a paul

thats my name to.

mine too!!!

nah... my name´s otton and i am a gibsonholic... ](* '](*,) =D> =D>

Very good post Dylan, we should all be talking about this fine guitars, and of course looking at Tims´Silverburst... a pic here tim? (and cuda´s translucent b.c. rich mockingbird (?), and AXEs´e.c. explorer).

The person i would like to jam with? a little imposible... i´d like to seat and play with me... no, i aint carazy, i just happen to have always thought that would be the best way to improve my playing, think about it...

So, Tim, Cuda, and AXE... when should we expect those pics?=P~

Good post with good timing' date=' been gettin kinda ugly lately '](*,)

Warren Haynes or Duane Allman I'd love to learn the Coricidin bottle slide the way warren plays it magic.

YA, It's been the new guy. One thing for sure, I can come-in with a bang (on this forum and on stage) and besides I was out of my med's and the guy on the street corner swore it was the same stuff. I got my refill so I'm o.k. now.

Very relavent post Dylan. I'm curious, does the OKlunchbox name mean that you work in OK, but live in KS? My parents used to live in both Olathe and Derby. I really enjoyed meeting people there. They were cool, but very down to earth.

I saw B.O.C. and 38 Special in KC at the Starlight - too kewl! A great venue for a concert at the time - er... 1985. Has it been thaaaat f*&%$ing long?!

Now for the lesson - I'll have to say Pete Townshend. He was one of the best songwriters and rythm guitarists of his time. He prettymuch changed all guitarist choreography that came afterward.

Very good post. Sometimes we just start to run out of things to say.

As far as the lessons, I think I wold have to choose someone that I not only admire as a player, but that also has a style similar to what I try to achieve. Also, I would like it to be a pretty down to earth dude. For ex, EVH is one of, if not the best guitarist on earth. But I really don't play that way and he doesn't seem like the kind of guy I would want to be around as a person. Having said that, I think I'd chose Warren Haynes. Besides being a great player, he seems to be a really cool guy.

This is wierd but true. No its not a Penthouse forum story.

My daughter has a friend that goes by the nickname Lunckbox

well a few months ago he was told he has cancer but he will be OK

now everytime I see you post I think of that kid and hope he

is getting better.

Good post

Mark, and I am off to see the Cubs play the Mets

I was feeling exactly the same way, and had hoped I was in the majority. Things were going down hill fast, and it was a shame! So thank you for saying what I hope a lot of us were thinking!

In an obvious, and probably common choice, I too would like to meet Les Paul.

I purchased his documentary and was even more impressed with him than before after watching it.

Though if I could pick anyone I think I would have like to have met George Harrison. I know he is not known as a Gibson guy per say though he did play an SG, and Les Paul, and J160e. I believe he had a much greater impact on music than he is given credit for, not to mention an opportunity to hang with a Beatle!

Tim and AXE' date=' cmon, we know you want to post them here as well... [/quote']

Thunder, as much as it pains me not to, I will not post a silverburst picture in this thread. eusa_angel.gif

I've got bigger plans...

Edit: Chanman, you're too fast...even for me...I didn't have time to edit my mistakes. :^o

Thunder' date=' as much as it pains me not to, I will not to post a silberburst picture in this thread. [img']http://forum.gibson.com/public/style_emoticons/default/eusa_angel.gif[/img]

I've got bigger plans...

I can hardly wait :^o !!! It's like Christmas!!!

So... for the lesson thing...

How about "living" and "not so much"...

I'd take Mr. Van Halen sir, or Alex Lifeson if they had a few minutes to spare.

Or, if we are talking REAL miracles here... Jimmi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughn.

All four of these guitarists evoke real emotion in me when I hear them play.

In an obvious' date=' and probably common choice, I too would like to meet Les Paul.

I purchased his documentary and was even more impressed with him than before after watching it. [/quote']

Come to NYC on a Monday night. He plays here . I've met him many times over the years. He's a real gentleman. And he'll sign just about anything you can carry into the club...

Archived