Gibson Brands Forums

Changing Strings

jrsdws

What is the preferred method....one string at a time? Or all strings at once?

Fretboard needs cleaned and oiled so I assume all strings at once?

Unless you have twelve arms and hands that might be quite difficult.. :-k

Just kidding. I remove them all and clean the entire guitar & then replace them.

All at once. Leave the Fret Doctor on for an hour' date=' wipe her clean and im ready to re-string.[/quote']

Eek, you're not using Fret Doctor every time, are you? Ed Boyle, maker of Fret Doctor, recommends that you don't do that..

Don't for get to rub some baby oil on your nut. You may have to move your G-string out of the way.

Im blushing! [cool]

Eek' date=' you're not using Fret Doctor every time, are you? Ed Boyle, maker of Fret Doctor, recommends that you don't do that..

[/quote']

I dont really change my strings often. Perhaps three times year. Im not a professional, so I dont care

if my strings are squeeky clean. I do rub them down after every use though.

I change take off all the strings, then put on new ones. I usually shine the guitar up at the same time and clean the fretboard if it looks grimy.

Valve oil on the fretboard, MacGuires cleaner Polish for the finish. Just the car polish, not the guitar polish. I have a hunch it's the same stuff.

I change take off all the strings' date=' then put on new ones. I usually shine the guitar up at the same time and clean the fretboard if it looks grimy.

Valve oil on the fretboard, MacGuires cleaner Polish for the finish. Just the car polish, not the guitar polish. I have a hunch it's the same stuff.[/quote']

All done!! Took em all off...cleaned fretboard and applied a little lemon oil....cleaned and polished entire guitar and restrung.....he's banging away on it again. Thanks all.

I dont really change my strings often. Perhaps three times year. Im not a professional' date=' so I dont care

if my strings are squeeky clean. I do rub them down after every use though.[/quote']

I asked Freddy and he said once every 10 - 12 months is plenty. Over conditioning it may cause your rosewood to swell up over time and your luthier will hate you when you take it in for a refret.

I change them two at a time. I used to change them one at a time. I don't like the idea of taking all the tension off the neck, by doing them all at once. I often have to change my strings more than once a week.

If I'm on the road one string at a time changing strings almost everyday.

If I'm at home' date=' then one string at a time changing strings about once a week, except for one week of the month take them all off and polish the guitar.[/quote']

You polish your guitar for an entire WEEK? Every MONTH??!! #-o Listen, and I mean this in the very nicest possible way...but you shouldn't get ANY more guitars. [-( You'll never have time to eat!

Archived