Gibson Brands Forums

road worn

sexybeast14

[blink] ... I'll wear it out myself.

This is why i don't like road worn. I want to wear the guitar out myself too. Which i've done a good job so far on my Epiphone SG. Just think of what'll happen to it when i start playing gigs. But at the same time i want to keep it in good shape for playing. I like Fender's idea for a road worn series, but it isn't for me.

I'd feel as embarrassed playing a new road-worn guitar as I would wearing a new pre-stressed leather sickle jacket. Part of the prestige of genuine wear and tear is the fact that you put it there...you survived together.

Anything else is posing. Not that there's anything wrong with that...[blink]

Im acutal feeling like buying a tele one...have you guys tried one?

It was ****ing better then any tele at GC' date=' felt used and played.[/quote']

Oh, hell yeah! Got that built-in mojo, man. Hey...if you say that often enough you'll actually start to believe it. Then you'll be willing to pay MORE for something that simulates "used"...and looks identical to every other simulated-used whatever. The consumer has spoken! [biggrin] [biggrin] [blink] :-

Im acutal feeling like buying a tele one...have you guys tried one?

It was ****ing better then any tele at GC' date=' felt used and played.[/quote']

Those things are CHEESEY. They don't feel used or played or old at all. They feel like they were carelessly sanded.

They look so stupid. Totally not convincing.

With that being said, the ones I played felt pretty good and sounded good. They look incredibly stupid though and the wear is done very poorly. VERY poorly. It's ridiculously unrealistic.

If it has to feel "worn", just give me a satin finish.

Those things are CHEESEY. They don't feel used or played or old at all. They feel like they were carelessly sanded.

They look so stupid. Totally not convincing.

With that being said' date=' the ones I played felt pretty good and sounded good. They look incredibly stupid though and the wear is done very poorly. VERY poorly. It's ridi****usly unrealistic.

If it has to feel "worn", just give me a satin finish. [/quote']

I was thinking of buying one and lighting it on fire to get that cool finsh...though mabye i just want the guitar becuase i like to light things on fire...hehe.

I think im just in love with neck it feels diffrent!

hmmmm... I just posted something like this in the Fender Forums... :-k

Not too many responses, but I like how the neck feels, and I like the pickups, it sounded pretty good. The one thing that I couldn't stand was the "rust" on the bridge and metal pieces, that pissed me off. That being said, I would never buy one. [-(

It looks like sh¡t, the "road worn stress marks" are so stupid, and for 900 bucks, it's made in Mexico! For another 100, you can get American made [biggrin]

It is a gimmick, but if this is what enables Fender to keep dropping prices on American Standards, so be it. Everyday a schmuck is born, and they all want Slashtone® and mojo. If they can continue to sell dispite being an overpriced MIM Standard, so be it.

Hell, I say we pool our money, buy a couple of used MIMs, beat the crap out of them, drag it behind a car, have a dog piss on it, then sell it for double. Sounds better than the stock market to me [biggrin]

I remember when owning a Fender meant something. I own several non-US guitars so it's not like I'm being xenophobic, but I grew up in the 60s when Fender was Fender, made in California, period.

If they started making Harleys in India, they're not Harleys. Even a $2000 Sportster made by Rashneesh in Kolkatta and inspected by Bob in Milwaukee won't entice me to accept it.

Stiffhand- I do like the specs, they sound good, and feel nice, but my main problems with it are 900 for a MIM, and the worn finish. It looks like garbage, they could've at least done a good job out of it...

For 900, I would rather save up a bit more, or I could just get a used Am Std... go figure. Maybe someone will beat it for me already [biggrin]

I hear you, I have a 2005 American Stratocaster and paid I think little above $800 for it, brand new with case. Bought it from a store that was closing so i got a good deal considering that the price included the 9.25% TN sales tax.

The worn series is too expensive for being made in Mexico but they do use better hardware and pickups than the Mexican Standard and they are finished in nitro.

Going back to the original post, I do not think Gibson will do a road worn series, with the nitro finish is actually hard to keep Gibbys from aging. You have to be careful not to beat up Gibsons, on the other hand most Fenders come with that indestructible finish nowadays, I think some folks miss the worn look you could achieve by playing Fenders in the past and now there is a market for it.

I kid you not after a nuclear holocaust there will only be roaches and poly finished Fenders.

I hear you' date=' I have a 2005 American Stratocaster and paid I think little above $800 for it, brand new with case. Bought it from a store that was closing so i got a good deal considering that the price included the 9.25% TN sales tax.

The worn series is too expensive for being made in Mexico but they do use better hardware and pickups than the Mexican Standard and they are finished in nitro.

Going back to the original post, I do not think Gibson will do a road worn series, with the nitro finish is actually hard to keep Gibbys from aging. You have to be careful not to beat up Gibsons, on the other hand most Fenders come with that indestructible finish nowadays, I think some folks miss the worn look you could achieve by playing Fenders in the past and now there is a market for it.

[b']I kid you not after a nuclear holocaust there will only be roaches and poly finished Fenders.

[/b]

I kid you not, I'm putting that in my signature [biggrin]

But if one looks around, you can find tons of American Standards for less than 700, and most in really good condition

Archived