Gibson Brands Forums

good acoustic?

Silenced Fred

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Superb advice from Laaz! I got an Ovation for Christmas and I love it. The binding on the neck is great and feels wonderful while playing. It's a great guitar for the money!

How do they feel to play with that weird rounded back? I have never played one yet, but how is it?

The import Breedloves are a good deal for the money. Depends what your needs are. Certain Takamines are great, others, not so much. G series, I'd stay away from. A good acoustic is worth the investment, so you might need to set the price a little higher to get something that will last. Trust me. I learned the hard(ish) way.

I'd recomend you play some of the guitars in the Ibanez Exotic Wood series. I played this one side by side with two or three $2000 Martin and it was hands down winner. I picked it up for less than $250 from Sam Ash :

070608007.jpg

I can't just blanket say "go get one", because, like all guitars... I have played some pretty dead wood since buying this one, but I have to say that this guitar fairly springs to life in my hands.

Enjoy the hunt!!

[crying]

Well' date=' if you have a gut like mine it tends point the guitar upward a bit. [crying']

I am not the most svelte myself, so that is the one thing I don't really care for. I would probably have to play one to try it out, and see how it works.

I think I might go for a Taylor or a Martin, I played a real nice Martin for about 700 a little while ago

I HIGHLY ADVISE STAYING AWAY FROM OVATION.

Sorry for the yelling, but I have yet to see an Ovation over 5years old that does not have a cracked or warped top, even the USA made models.

If you can scrape together another $100 or so, I highly recommend a Taylor 110. All 110s and above are hand built and have ebony fretboards. Plenty of bright, ringing tone and great feel. Might even be able to get a used one for less than that.

How do they feel to play with that weird rounded back? I have never played one yet, but how is it?

Depending on the Ovation model you can get a shallow, mid or deep bowl. Mine was about 8 years old and had no issues or cracks. Going to get another soon.

I have two electro acoustics, wasburn southwest series and a freshman.

The freshman replaced my old yamaha apx4 special and i have to say it has a fantastic sound.

the washburn being a cutaway dread is a bigger sound and looks awesome.

neither are overly expensive and until i can afford either the martin johnny cash signature or a gibson hummingbird i wouldnt have any other acoustic as my first choice

I have two early Ovation EAs. One nylon, one steel.

The nylon had a top crack after about 6 moves and not being played for 20 years. The steel is in great shape still. I got 'em in the mid 1970s, a "Country Artist" nylon and "electric legend" steel.

I like 'em. It takes a little to get used to the round back, but I never had any real problems on stage or off.

m

As with all guitars' date=' go play some...see what YOU like. But, this is especially true, with Acoustic's...IMHO.

The new Epiphone Inspired By series "Texan," is in your price range. I've played a couple, and they

played and sounded great! But, of course, your experiences may vary?

CB[/quote']

I'll have to check that out thanks

Yeah, I should have added to try Epis...

When I got my Ovations, they were about the only EA I had access to purchase... Some 35 years is a long time ago in terms of guitar technology.

I'm not sure that I'd buy the same stuff today. But I do like the necks.

m

Please do yourself a big favor and go play as many as you can. Find the one that feels right to you and no one else.

Everyone is a different animal.

Everyone has a different tone and resonance that is made for your ears.

And when you find it it will inspire you and you will know.

As a bit of a difference in opinion here, I'm personally more inclined towards archtop acoustics. Given that, the first recommendation I would make would be towards something like a Godin 5th Avenue or a Gretsch G100--both of these models are sold for around $500 (the Godin, a fine instrument, goes for just around $520 at GC, and the Gretsch, which I liked, is sold by GC for anywhere from $500-$700, depending on the finish,) and they're probably not too hard to find. Of course, given that your last instrument was a flat-top, you're probably looking for another flat-top, right?

I have more limited experience here, unfortunately--I only own one steel-string flat-top, an Epiphone PR5-E. It's a good guitar, and it sounds frankly amazing, but mine has a slightly warped neck--I've heard that mine isn't an isolated incident, so it may be something to look out for. I think that Taylor makes a lot of good guitars, but they may be slightly out of your price range unless you can haggle them down a little. Takamine also makes some pretty good, cheap ones, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Gibson makes good ones, of course, but they ain't necessarily cheap. Sorry, I don't have much experience with specific models.

To conclude--good luck with your search, and I hope you at least give the archtops some thought before you pass off on them. They don't have to be old-guy instruments.

I'd start my seach at Epi or Yamaha. Both under rated brands and great VFM. Taks are good, but as someone has already advised, avoid the Korean models and stick to the Jap built ones.

Hey, how about a Gibson? Get yourself over to the acoustic section and get all the advice you'll need!

xdemon...

I did use some archtops when I was a "kid" around age 20 or so. Converted one into a 7-string (doubled the "G" as with a 12-string, in octaves).

Depending on the neck, they're okay, I guess, but I always saw them in general as more rhythm instruments designed to chord on with a pick - kinda like one would do with a 4-string banjo. I's always "heard" them as having kinda an odd sound that never had the bottom of a similar-sized flat top.

Mother Maybelle's Gibson F hole did have decent sound, but when she offered me a chance to play it, the strings were not just "heavy," they were extra heavy. I was playing a lot of 12-string at the time and I couldn't fret that thing. Talk about adding to my respect for that lovely little lady...

I think acoustic guitars, as electrics, will "fit" or "not fit" a given person's technique and style on a very individual basis. Yeah, it's a good thing to think about, though. Frankly were I to get a non-electric archtop, it would be to put lighter strings on, lower the action and add a pickguard pickup and control setup...

m

Archived