Gibson Brands Forums

PRS guitars

Thundergod

I know how you feel.

I played alot of PRS and they feel great and sound good...but somethings missing...[thumbup]

The ones that i've played are exctly as dem00n says, they play as well as gibbys and sound as good, different, but still good (IMO). They just don't feel alive. they have no personality.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would anybody by a PRS when they could by a Gibson?

No-one can argue that they are very well made and very smooth to play guitars.

Many people find them very easy to play.

Perhaps that allows them to let more of their own soul flow out through their choice of instrument?

(Gary Moore claimed he found his too easy to play for stage work, although he does use them in the studio).

This thread is completely retarded. Rocky4' date=' you don't like PRS? That's fine, I don't like a lot of guitars either. You've had nothing positive to contribute after your first post and should have STFU.

By the way, what types of guitars do you own? I'll bet they're complete sh it. Actually, don't answer that, I've had enough laughs today.[/quote']

Wow, you guys managed to turn Tim into a ******bag [biggrin] I agree with him... this thread turned retarded and some people should STFU

Soul? I have a guitar that speaks Russian and Japanese. Compete with that!

I'm sorry, I LOVE guitars and all but they are inanimate objects. All this talk of "it has no soul" is a bunch of hippie crap. Give me a break.

And believe me when I say I love guitars. Look at my collection. I will rant on and on about how much I love my 1989 Strat plus more than any guitar I have ever owned (yes even my Gibson).

But hey, if you think your guitar speaks to you and feels you or whatever......good for you I guess.

Just my two cents. T-God, do what makes you happy, man.

The ones that i've played are exctly as dem00n says' date=' they play as well as gibbys and sound as good, different, but still good (IMO). They just don't feel alive. they have no personality.[/quote']

Could it be the logo?

I know it kind of sounds stupid, but let's face it, some of the guys in here want the gibson logo.

Some people get luthiers to build guitars for them and put the gibson logo in there. They say they are exact replicas of '59 lesters, they say they sound better than anything gibson puts out these days, USA or custom shop... but they go and put a gibson logo on the headstock.

Why?

Wouldn't it be better to just have the luthier's name in there? the guitar costed more than a custom shop-historic reissue would and people will think you paid USA price... why use a gibson logo?

Maybe that's what carvin and PRS guitars (and some made by luthiers) are missing. The logo. The hype. The thing that comes with owning a gibson... you know, the same guitar Slash used to record Apetite for Destruction and then apeared in all the videos [angry]

There is a guitar behind the logo though, sure it is silly to get a replica and use a trademark logo but I don't think that people buy a guitar for the logo itself.

PRS are different guitars, different scale, body shape, cosmetics, neck profile, you like it or you don't just like any other guitar.

I think it is funny how some are in favor of PRS guitars and try hard to make it a point that we all should like these guitars, that is right there with the folks that do not like them for no particular reason.

There are a lot of Gibson guitars I would not buy but it is not about the logo, there are 2 kinds of guitars the ones you like and the ones you don't like.

Can I re-highjack this thread?

Just in case any of you are looking for a custom PRS I mentioned I have friend who works at PRS and I asked if his guitar is still available. This is his reply (yes is the short answer). Oh by the way, we became friends when stationed together in England - USAF.

"My name is Eric Granroth. I do all the wiring and set up work on PRS Private Stock guitars.

My wife, Jes, is looking to sell her "2 year" employee guitar.

We would like it to go to someone who can appreciate it.

Here it is...

Brand new PRS Custom 22 "Employee Guitar"!

East Indian Rosewood "Wide Thin" Neck

East Indian Rosewood Fingerboard

"New" bird fingerboard inlays

Mohagany back (Very lightweight and resonant)

Flamed maple 10 top

Blue Matteo top

3 way toggle with Push/pull coil tap

HFS treble pickup

Vintage bass pickup

Nickel hardware

Locking tuners

Tremolo bridge

The back is signed by Paul Smith under the finish by the neck joint.

All wood was handpicked by me for tone and beauty.

Hard shell case

Stained and set up by members of the "PRS Private Stock" team.

Pictures of the guitar are attached.

One of the best feeling necks I've ever played.

It's a player, lots of sustain on this one!

Custom wiring could be done prior to shipment. The volume knob could be changed to a push pull for one of the following: Cut to lead, Phase, or series.

The guitar is currently set up with .010" - .046" gauge strings.

$4000.00 via check or paypal."

There is a pic of the front of the guitar on page one of this thread

Granrothsguitar.jpg

Granroths.jpg

Yesterday I played a few nice American PRS to form a more valid opinion of them.

I don't know names of models... but I was very pleased. I played them through a Marshall JVM and they sounded badass.

I don't like the wide necks, but I liked all of the ones I played. Amazing fretwork. No binding but really smooth feel. The quality was top knotch as you'd expect from PRS.

They all seemed to have soul. I noticed that the pickups seemed pretty powerful too. You could get some pretty crazy sounds.

I still really preferred the Gibsons though. A beautiful 335 and a beautiful R8. Such amazing tone. I love historic LPs. They are almost always absolutely amazing.

I also really love ES models. I played an awesome 335 and a sweet 339. I prefer the 335 but the 339 is also really cool. 339s sound amazing.

Then I played a '61 reissue SG. It was a disappointment. It had what I consider a pretty lousy neck and I thought it was an ugly example of an SG. I'll take my Standard over that thing any day.

So all in all, not that it means much but PRS definately gets my seal of approval. They are GREAT.

I personally do not subscribe to the guitar soul and mojo theories. I call it personal taste.

Dedication to an instrument is what we all should be focusing on, mojo and soul in a guitar?

I remember a guy that used to say that if a guitar had not been in a pawn shop it was not worthy of playing the blues, what a stupid idea that was, so stupid that he ended up paying $500 for a $300 guitar at a pawnshop.

I remember a guy that used to say that if a guitar had not been in a pawn shop it was not worthy of playing the blues' date=' what a stupid idea that was, so stupid that he ended up paying $500 for a $300 guitar at a pawnshop.

[/quote']

Unlike some of the more discerning among us who will pay an extra $1500 for an already high-priced axe just because it's a signature model. [cool]

I still haven't broken the $1,000 barrier myself but to your point I was talking on the subject of soul and mojo.

A guitar is an unanimated object, whether it cost $300 or $5000, there is no mojo or soul except the mojo and soul you put into it. Buy the guitar you want for the price you are willing to pay but don't do it because a guitar is said to have mojo or soul.

eBay and craigslist are full of guitars that have/had mojo and soul yet people sell them.

I still haven't broken the $1' date='000 barrier myself but to your point I was talking on the subject of soul and mojo.

A guitar is an unanimated object, whether it cost $300 or $5000, there is no mojo or soul except the mojo and soul you put into it. Buy the guitar you want for the price you are willing to pay but don't do it because a guitar is said to have mojo or soul.

eBay and craigslist are full of guitars that have/had mojo and soul yet people sell them.[/quote']

I understood your point, SH. And I'm not at all in disagreement. I'm not a mojo fan-boy. laugh5_smilie.gif But the notion that a celebrity signature on an axe makes it more valuable or playable, (or imbues it with special mojo) is, to me, no less ludicrous than that of your friend with the pawn shop mojo fixation. Dropping large coinage on such instruments is not my idea of intelligent use of my hard-earned income. $500 for a $300 guitar isn't very bright. $4000 for a signature that sells for $2500 without the celebrity connection...that's...indescribable. [cool]

Yesterday I played a few nice American PRS to form a more valid opinion of them.

I don't know names of models... but I was very pleased. I played them through a Marshall JVM and they sounded badass.

I don't like the wide necks' date=' but I liked all of the ones I played. Amazing fretwork. No binding but really smooth feel. The quality was top knotch as you'd expect from PRS.

They all seemed to have soul. I noticed that the pickups seemed pretty powerful too. You could get some pretty crazy sounds.

I still really preferred the Gibsons though. A beautiful 335 and a beautiful R8. Such amazing tone. I love historic LPs. They are almost always absolutely amazing.

I also really love ES models. I played an awesome 335 and a sweet 339. I prefer the 335 but the 339 is also really cool. 339s sound amazing.

Then I played a '61 reissue SG. It was a disappointment. It had what I consider a pretty lousy neck and I thought it was an ugly example of an SG. I'll take my Standard over that thing any day.

So all in all, not that it means much but PRS definately gets my seal of approval. They are GREAT.[/quote']

Hey Dub-T

That was a great description of a day at the guitar shop. I could relate to trying a

bunch of guitars all different brands and maybe only 1 or 2 do that I really like.

The rest I wouldn't buy. It doesn't take much playing to know whether you like

it or not. Wise thing to do also going and trying the PRS's first hand so you would

know if you really liked them or not.

Rock & Roll

CW

Archived