Gibson Brands Forums

How 'bout that new Randy Scruggs Advanced Jumbo!!!

larryp58

If they made a God signature model, signed by The Almighty his or her self, I wouldn't want it. You will never catch me in possession of any "signature models". And I have to wonder what sort of egotistical poindexter you'd have to be to want your signature on everyone else's guitar. But then, I really don't care much about money and material things in the overall scheme of things, so I guess I'll never understand that or any other motivations.

But to give you an example, My Favorite Guitars has a Clay Hess II signature model Martin D-18 in 1933 Ambertone. The guitar was perfect except for one thing. Clay Hess II's signature. I don't know him from Adam's housecat, why would I want his signature on my guitar? So I made inquiries to various dealers and obtained a price for a custom shop build of the exact same guitar WITHOUT anyone's signature.

And don't even get me started on "relic-ing". Key-friggin'-ripes! If we'd have NASA rocket the people who come up with these ideas to Mars, we'd raise the collective IQ of both planets! I can only hope that someone at Gibson is reading this and taking notes!

Cheers!

Rick...[biggrin]

But then' date=' I really don't care much about money and material things in the overall scheme of things [/quote']

Gotta be careful about preferences. Not caring [passionately] can be as big a trap as being overly attracted [other side of the coin]. Back to guitars: while some of the sig biz has gotten out of hand, some of the nicest reissues of classic models are sigs (20028ec) or started out that way. Think of it as test marketing.

Gotta be careful about preferences. Not caring [passionately] can be as big a trap as being overly attracted [other side of the coin]. Back to guitars: while some of the sig biz has gotten out of hand' date=' some of the nicest reissues of classic models are sigs (20028ec) or started out that way. Think of it as test marketing.[/quote']

Yeah, I know. If I don't watch myself, I start slipping down the slope toward nihilism.

But there are mitigating circumstances! Are you aware that the Martin D-45V features Christian Martin IV's signature inlaid in mother of pearl in the fretboard?

Why didn't they just inlay Ned Flanders' signature? Or Herman Stiles'? Or Patrick Cranshaw's?

I mean, come on!

Cheers!

Rick...[cool]

The AJ looks great but what is the price difference to a standard?

If money were no object, I'd have a Pete Townshend SJ200, Larry Carlton ES335, Clapton Martin 0028 and probably one of his strats for good measure too etc etc.

But for value for money, it's not good.

Each to their own I suppose.

If they made a God signature model' date=' signed by The Almighty his or her self, I wouldn't want it. You will never catch me in possession of any "signature models". And I have to wonder what sort of egotistical poindexter you'd have to be to [i']want[/i] your signature on everyone else's guitar. But then, I really don't care much about money and material things in the overall scheme of things, so I guess I'll never understand that or any other motivations.

But to give you an example, My Favorite Guitars has a Clay Hess II signature model Martin D-18 in 1933 Ambertone. The guitar was perfect except for one thing. Clay Hess II's signature. I don't know him from Adam's housecat, why would I want his signature on my guitar? So I made inquiries to various dealers and obtained a price for a custom shop build of the exact same guitar WITHOUT anyone's signature.

And don't even get me started on "relic-ing". Key-friggin'-ripes! If we'd have NASA rocket the people who come up with these ideas to Mars, we'd raise the collective IQ of both planets! I can only hope that someone at Gibson is reading this and taking notes!

Cheers!

Rick...#-o

I agree Rick sometimes I think that the marketing guys from "Beanny Babies" :-k

went to work for Gibson [biggrin]

"Why didn't they just inlay Ned Flanders' signature?" Hawr. The Dead Artist Models (Jimi, Woody, Robt Johnson) are the ones that get me, tho Im sure they asked. But like I say, I cant completely knock 'em. Consider: which would you rather have? The Guthrie SJ (banner-era correct appts), the miscegnated SJ-TV (mix of 40s/50s appts) or the Std (late 50s w/BIG PG). Me, id take the Woody

I finally went beyond ALL signature guitars when Martin came out with the "Click and Clack" guitar.....pulllll-llllese......lol. The only signature I care about is the signature on my certificate of authenticity signed by Ren Ferguson.....for my Gibson J-30 "Firebird" Ren's signature is worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned..........Ren did the inlays on the fretboard, the headstock and hand designed the "flame" pickguard........so I am content....

IMGP0053.jpg

Consider: which would you rather have? The Guthrie SJ (banner-era correct appts)' date=' the miscegnated SJ-TV (mix of 40s/50s appts) or the Std (late 50s w/BIG PG). Me, id take the Woody[/quote']

Easily solved. Pick up the phone, dial the toll-free number for Fuller's Vintage Guitar in Houston, and when they answer the phone say, "Hey! Order a Woody Guthrie for me with all reference to Woody Guthrie removed, willya? I'm a capitalist!" LOL!

The only signature I care about is the signature on my certificate of authenticity signed by Ren Ferguson.....for my Gibson J-30 "Firebird" Ren's signature is worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned..........Ren did the inlays on the fretboard' date=' the headstock and hand designed the "flame" pickguard........so I am content....[/quote']

Now that's a different story! Ren's sig on a certificate of authenticity is definitely a desirable signature!

Cheers!

Rick...[biggrin]

And another thing! As long as we're talking SJ's, how did Comrade Woody get his own signature model before Hank Williams? Who do you think made more of a musical contribution?

Perhaps the Commisar at Gibson should get back into the music business and abandon the political indoctrination models. What's next? A Vladimir Lenin signature model? A Mao Tse Tung signature model?

Bah! How about a Lewis "Chesty" Puller signature model instead?

Maybe that explains why Gibson spends so much time squashing legitimate capitalist business competition with their draconian (for the small dealer) advertising policies?

Cheers!

Rick...[biggrin]

This Machine Kills Fascists

LOL! Yeah' date=' Woody [i']so[/i] changed the world! Unfortunately, the Supreme Court ruled the other day that big corporations can dump as much money as they want into any election they'd care to buy. So much for crusaders...

Cheers!

Rick...[biggrin]

As long as we're talking SJ's' date=' how did Comrade Woody get his own signature model before Hank Williams? Who do you think made more of a musical contribution?[/quote']

Aw, Ol Hank was a Martin man anyhow. (But re contribution? Woody Guthrie begat Bob Dylan. Hank sold more but begat= ?. Everyone pays Hank lip service, & why not--his hits made hillbilly crossover possible. Lefty Frizzell was arguably more influential, style wise =Hag, Buck, Willie).

But back to guitars. Its easy for us to be high and mighty, but we dont have to sell them. The thing really troublesome thing to me is that is part of a two tier guitar market: one for peops, the other for plungers. We used to have D28s and J45s. Now martin has D1s and and HD29LVS Clarence Whites. Gibby has epi Ajs and the Randy Scruggs.

Maybe that explains why Gibson spends so much time squashing legitimate capitalist business competition with their draconian (for the small dealer) advertising policies?

Cheers!

Rick...[biggrin]

Rick...that is indeed unfettered capitalism at it's best. If Gibson's so called "draconian (for the small dealer) advertising policies" did not work....then the market place would cause them to change or go out of business. The true capitalist would allow the laissez-faire market place to right itself based on the natural rules of basic Economics 101. Thus the double edged sword cuts both directions.

Unchecked power corrupts whether it is the "Commissar at Gibson" , the unchecked money and power of Capitalism or a Communist Gov't. full of loyal Comrades.

Maybe we need a few more sig model Guthrie and Seeger instruments running around to remind everyone that we have lost control of our Gov'ts and institutions.

Aw' date=' Ol Hank was a Martin man anyhow. (But re contribution? Woody Guthrie begat Bob Dylan. Hank sold more but begat= ?. Everyone pays Hank lip service, & why not--his hits made hillbilly crossover possible. Lefty Frizzell was arguably more influential, style wise =Hag, Buck, Willie).

But back to guitars. Its easy for us to be high and mighty, but we dont have to sell them. The thing really troublesome thing to me is that is part of a two tier guitar market: one for peops, the other for plungers. We used to have D28s and J45s. Now martin has D1s and and HD29LVS Clarence Whites. Gibby has epi Ajs and the Randy Scruggs. [/quote']

i would like a bob dylan one please

Archived