Gibson Brands Forums

Little Known or Underrated Guitar Players

Rewddawg1

I was on a thread a few days ago discussing a couple of Blues/Blues Rock guitar players and another musician came to mind. His name was Buggs Henderson, I think he was from Texas. I had the opportunity to watch him play in a nightclub in the late 70's or early 80's. I had never heard him play before, his music was not on the local radio stations but I had read a few good reviews about him so I decided to check him out. I am glad I did because he really rocked our socks off. He played blues and blues rock in a 3 piece band. I really thought that he was going to go somewhere but have never heard much about him since. Anyway I was wondering if anyone else had the chance to see him and what they thought.

Rewd.

Bugs is a regular on the Dallas blues scene. You'll see him all over the southwest playing clubs, blues festivals, and guitar shows. In fact, I'll bet he'll be playing the Dallas Guitar Show in April. Go to Pollstar.com and look him up. I'm sure you'll see a pretty full itinerary. A great player.

As jazz guys go I'd have to nominate Oscar Aleman. Without knowing to whom I was listening I'd have sworn he was Django Reinhardt.

Albert Lee must be one of the greatest guitarists no one knows off. He played on a few of Clapton's albums.

He was also Clapton's rear gunner on the Just One Night tour in the mid-'80s.

My favourite piece of his is when he provided the lead break on 'Sweet little Liza' for Dave Edmunds and Rockpile.

Apparently he was recording in the same studio block and was persuaded to have a listen to the rough soundtrack. He agreed to do the solo. He listened to the track all the way through once more before laying down the solo in one take. After he left D.E. and the band could not contain themselves in their admiration of the bloke's sheer talent...

Well...

Honestly, I think there are oodles of excellent pickers out there. Some have played pro and quit the road, some didn't have the right smile at the right time to the right people.

I wouldn't use the term "underrated" though. For example, Buchanan was given all kinds of credit for talent and skill by those who saw him, but "stuff" just never really happened nor was his style gonna make a huge amount of money given his situation otherwise.

There are hundreds like him. Perhaps thousands. But there are even more thousands of pickers you've never heard of who perhaps play in saloons in a 50-mile radius of home and have no inclination to press for more. They eat, have health insurance, perhaps a family or other bad habits, and just ... are.

They're not so much "underrated," but more "unknown" by wider audiences.

But nowadays watch out for the coming deluge of really good pickers on the Web while none get the play to be "stars," let alone "superstars."

m

Nina Gerber. She plays with a lot of the Americana/singer-songwriter crowd. She got her start backing up Kate Wolf in the 70's and after Kate's death she went on her own mostly backing others although she has released solo work. A lot of the Americana crowd consider her to be an entire backup band.

I'm hoping that's because you don't under-rate them at all.

Me neither.

Not at all. I think they're great! But I thought it was generally accepted that they were top notch.

To me, under-rated means they don't get the praise they deserve.

Archived