Gibson Brands Forums

What's your greatest claim to fame?

Thin_Lizzy

Tulsa...

I was at the Yankton newspaper just up the road from USD. Abourezk is the other senator you mentioned.

Abourezk got out of Washington and stated it was to be more with his family. I think, knowing only a little, it was a very good father's decision.

I felt really bad about the loss of McGovern's daughter. George was actually about 3-4 years behind my Dad at Mitchell High School, and since Dad was a country kid, I never heard him mention knowing him. I shared a class or two with Ann. Terry was the one about my little brother's age, and I think Susan was about my sister's age. Terry (Teresa) is the one who died young.

One real concern that I know a number of South Dakota electees to Washington have mentioned since Abourezk came "home" is raising children there after getting them started growing up in the more rural and frankly less brutal culture here - especially given the work days of a U.S. Senator or Congressman.

Again, that has nothing to do with sides, but rather the really difficult circumstances of a political lifestyle that requires a lot of concentration.

Anyway, when I was covering USD I got to meet Jimmy Driftwood if that means anything to anybody. <grin>

m

A man by the last name of Tedeschi was a POW in Oflag 64, Schuben, Poland during the last several months of WWII, where he and my Father became close friends. Mr. Tedeschi, a big man, had some injuries that made it necessary for him to lean on my Dad for support during the forced march in to the interior of Germany as the Allies closed in. After the war they found each other again at a Kriegies Reunion (former POWs) and stayed in close touch until the end of their lives.

My Dad is my hero. Mr. Tedeschi was the favorite great-uncle of Miss Susan Tedeschi.

Not my claim to fame. Just an interesting turn of Life.

IMG_0755.jpg

oflag64byRobertKeithJan1945.jpg

trucksandwife.gif

Just guitarists? OK...

James Hetfield

Kirk Hammett

Ryan Roxie (when he was w/ Alice Cooper)

Heri Joensen (Týr)

Terji Skibenæs (Týr)

Petri Lindroos (Ensiferum)

Markus Toivonen (Ensiferum)

Johan Söderberg (Amon Amarth)

Olavi Mikkonen (Amon Amarth)

Ken Susi (Unearth)

Buz McGrath (Unearth)

Jardel Paisante (former Ill Niño)

Ahrue Luster (Ill Niño)

Mike Schleibaum (Darkest Hour)

All others: Lars Ulrich, Robert Trujillo, Vincent Furnier (Alice Cooper the man himself), Ryan Parrish, Trevor Phipps, Olli Vänskä, Netta Skog, Cristian Machado, Lazaro Pina, Daniel Couto, Chuck Garric, Johan Hegg, Ted Lundström, Fredrik Andersson, Gunnar Thomsen, Kári Streymoy. Finally, I don't know if anybody even knows the band Fighting Gravity (they have split up) but Dave Peterson is an aquaintence of mine.

A lot of the people I have met are not famous as famous in the USA as they are in Europe. Lots of Scandinavian heavy metal bands as you can tell by their names.

I got most of 'em.

Met and talked with Nugent once, got a story on hunting. Didn't really talk guitars at the time. It was just pretty much a business meeting.

Putney, VT, is a nice little place. Nice folks, if mostly a bit on the left side like most of Vermont nowadays which is why my Great Grandpa already left there in the 1850s and headed west. <grin> I finished high school about an hour or so south of there in Mass. - if you can imagine a country boy in a New England boarding school. I found out later that I was far from the only one. A rancher acquaintance from Kaycee, Wyo., went to a school that played mine in soccer. Hmmm. I don't think we ever saw each other but...

m

I was a professionally touring stand up comedian in the 90s. I worked with a lot of great comedians who had various levels of success in the biz. I worked a big gig with Pauly Shore not long after he began making movies . . . he was a real ***. His manager was a real ***. His "support staff" were all real assess. His bus driver was an ***. His entourage (yep, different from his support staff) were all assess.

Instead of calling it the pauly shore show, it should have been the *** show.

played with johnny winter about 5 years ago. albert king was at my wedding < not the famouse albert king but still an albert king hahaha just had to throw that in [blink] also played with little feat, nrbq, blue oyster cult, jason bohnam( john bohnams son), southside johnny and the asbury jukes to name a few.........but johnny winter was the icing on the cake.

Archived