Gibson Brands Forums

What guitar do you belive is worth what the price is?

dem00n

This one was... on the wall at Guitar Center... several hundred off standard price (over a thousand less than MSRP)

070608035.jpg

So was this one- also off the wall at GC- priced @ $1199, now sells for $1599 (on sale for $1299) I gave $999.

MSS024.jpg

And this one- rare '83 Elite... $75 with HS case:

070608003.jpg

And this one, but it was mis-priced at Sam Ash, so I got a deal:

070608005.jpg

I'm sure there are others out there too... like my $50 12 string....

070608014.jpg

So I'd say there are many guitars that are worth the money. Many.

Lots.

Loads.

None of them are worth it. I buy 'em anyway.

Now I am building a Custom Tele I will probably have $2K in before I am done. Heck you can buy a nice American Deluxe for less than $1500 if you find the right place. But, I can't get the color I want and while we're at it, I'd like a thicker compound radius neck for my longer-skinny hands that start cramping up if I play my 9.5" radius slim contour Strat too long, a tri-pup configuration with a full sized SD SH-2 in the neck, a SD Duckbucker in the middle, and a SD Pearly Gates in the bridge, all splittable along with 5 way Strat S-1 switching plus Bridge Alway On switch.

What the heck, it's only money . . .

It was a 79 Custom.............. the guy I bought it from received it as a gift from his Uncle and he never played it' date=' man was I ever lucky........ I had to work 2 months on the third shift and do several doubles but I got her.......

[img']http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae144/doublecutjr/79LPCustom.jpg[/img]

Too sweet, the axe AND the deal. [biggrin] A lot of years passed between my first purchase in '69, a Framus Texan acoustic, through the PX whilst a-soldiering and the most recent, my first bass, last year. But no closet or under-bed relics in my arsenal...yet.

Trouble is, while I've been waiting for the proverbial "old man with the all the cool guitars" or whatever, to come along and make my day, I've become him. LOL_smilie.gif

I tend to agree that the guitar that fits you is worth every penny. By "fit" I mean one that seems to play itself and gives you more or less the sound you want. I say more or less the sound you want because, especially with an electric of any sort, the electronics and the amp are a major part of what you sound like.

BTW, Dennis, I resemble your remark about the old guy. <grin>

m

I tend to agree that the guitar that fits you is worth every penny. By "fit" I mean one that seems to play itself and gives you more or less the sound you want. I say more or less the sound you want because' date=' especially with an electric of any sort, the electronics and the amp are a major part of what you sound like.

[/quote']

I agree also, but I thought the question was coming from a more "Is it worth what they're asking in general" angle than a personal choice one.

I just aquired an expensive limited edition Custom Shop model, and for most people it would be considered way over-priced, but to me it was worth it, so I know exactly what you mean when you find "The One", or just something you must have.

But as far as a new guitar being worth what they're asking, in my opinion, most new guitars are overpriced, especially if they're not a completely hand-made Custom Shop model, a special edition, or limited run from any manufacturer, and even then, it's all about profit.

Check out this Les Paul Standard model that's a Custom Shop that goes for over $4000, appearantly because it's blue.

I wouldn't pay that much for a color option that I like, but others would, and that's cool if that's what they want, and are happy with.

http://www.musician.com/product/Gibson-Custom-Les-Paul-Standard-Peacock-Electric-Guitar?sku=423543

I paid $400 for my 1989 Fender Strat Plus. Best $400 I ever spent. I saw a 1991 model (same color and everything) on ebay for over $1400 last week. But I'll never sell mine. NEVER! Not for any (reasonable) price.

Yeah, once they've become like family, you just can't.

Archived