Gibson Brands Forums

Ever play till your fingers bleed?

dem00n

When i was just starting out and i would play for long hours they would bleed but now adays it rarely happens.

It sucked on the day we ran out of super glue. [confused]

Yeah.... back in 1964-1965 we were playing 4-5 hour gigs at the various Navy Bases in the Bay Area, 2-3 times a week. And yes.... they would bleed. I was playing a pre-CBS Fender Jaguar at the time.

No Super Glue back then, either!

mine never bled "thought that only happend to bryan adams?" [confused], jokes aside...when i first started they got realy sore and scabbed over and the skin would peel but as you know over the yrs the skin hardens, even now if i realy go at it for a prolonged period then the tips do feel a bit sore, then theres my RSI or tendonitus but thats another thread...:)

When I was just starting... After that I have experienced finger bleeding just one time.

I got a manicure (most men in here don't do that, but some like to have good looking hands, what can I say) and I always tell the lady to not sand down my fingers (to get rid of any callousness), but this time there was a new lady that didn't know, and I felt asleep (for me, having your hands done is one of the most relaxing things in life, that and having your shoes cleaned while wearing them [confused]) when I woke up she had taken complete care of my hands and I had a gig that night.

My fingers bled badly that night.

Next time the same thing happened I just super glued my fingertips an hour before playing, that works great.

Yeah.... back in 1964-1965 we were playing 4-5 hour gigs at the various Navy Bases in the Bay Area' date=' 2-3 times a week. And yes.... they would bleed. I was playing a pre-CBS Fender Jaguar at the time.

No Super Glue back then, either![/quote']

Thats horrible. [confused]

Did you find a way to stop them from bleeding or did you keep playing?

Actually I did when I first started playing. Then I realized it's better to pace out the "practice" sessions as you increasingly improve either technique or gain tougher fingertips.

On that, I'll add that my one Grandma told me her mother "played guitar beautifully," and still "had fingers that were very soft." I can believe it, especially given that it would have been the era of "parlor guitars." She also must have had pretty good technique.

When I was teaching beginners, I'd tell them to play 15-minute sessions to start. Then wait until their fingertips quit tingling, then go again until their fingertips were tingling... and again and again...

Rob, I can't recall even some of those long gigs getting me to bleed. Hurt a lot, but not bleed. <grin>

<LATE AD> Dennis, Yupper on the bass! Blood blister in the right thumb. Argh.

m

Guitar - no. Bass - yes! Not blood running but blood blisters on the index and social finger of my right hand.

I had to practice and play a gig on bass a few years ago...hadn't played bass 'much' in like 40 years....and I found I got calouses on different parts of my fingers on the bass than the guitar. I guess I didn't notice, (or care), back in the day.

Thats horrible. :-#

Did you find a way to stop them from bleeding or did you keep playing?

Well, it wasn't like in a "Halloween" movie or anything, just bled enough to see....and yeah... was VERY painful...but I was getting $10 a night, and had to EARN it!! Besides, the Navy guys were the absolute BEST! And those long-long gigs were just what we needed perfect our "stage presence".

Rob' date=' I can't recall even some of those long gigs getting me to bleed. Hurt a lot, but not bleed. <grin>

m

[/quote']

I think a LOT of it had to do with my lack of skills on setting up the Jag. Strings too high... I just recall how deep the grooves were in the tips of my fingers.

Rob...

Yeah, I was playing rhythm on a Rick with a nice low action and flatwounds. They were a little heavier than I really normally like on an acoustic (I fingerpicked with a lotta silk 'n' steels in those days), but they weren't that bad.

I'm surprised a Jag would have a high action. Never played one, but I always liked the idea of the shorter scale.

The bass... yeah, to me the bass always is harder on fingers. I played a Precision at one point in time, but even with flatwounds it seemed harder on the hands. As you say, a different technique.

m

Well' date=' it wasn't like in a "Halloween" movie or anything, just bled enough to see....and yeah... was VERY painful...but I was getting $10 a night, and had to EARN it!! Besides, the Navy guys were the absolute BEST! And those long-long gigs were just what we needed perfect our "stage presence".[/quote']

ROFLMAO! I love this, Bob. Up where we were there weren't the military bases you have in the Bay Area so our gigs were more likely small, private things. One night we bailed on a very boring private party after our first set went flat. (I don't think anyone noticed we'd left. :-# ) On the drive home we spotted the bandstand on a shopping center parking lot and discovered it had a hot outlet. So we set up and started jamming, in the middle of a dark parking lot. We were noticed by a cowboy in a drop-top Caddy who invited us to come play for his midget racer's club BBQ down at the county air-strip. We got all the grub we could eat, all the beer we could drink and someone passed one of my cymbals around and we ended up each taking about $13.00 home that night. I think our lead guitar player got lucky, too.

All in all, a very good night.

ROFLMAO! I love this' date=' Bob. Up where we were there weren't the military bases you have in the Bay Area so our gigs were more likely small, private things. One night we bailed on a very boring private party after our first set went flat. (I don't think anyone noticed we'd left. [biggrin'] ) On the drive home we spotted the bandstand on a shopping center parking lot and discovered it had a hot outlet. So we set up and started jamming, in the middle of a dark parking lot. We were noticed by a cowboy in a drop-top Caddy who invited us to come play for his midget racer's club BBQ down at the county air-strip. We got all the grub we could eat, all the beer we could drink and someone passed one of my cymbals around and we ended up each taking about $13.00 home that night. I think our lead guitar player got lucky, too.

All in all, a very good night.

GAWD!! What GREAT stories! I know what you mean.... different times..... We were lucky to get hooked up with a lady who had an "in" at all the Navy Bases...there were a TON of them back then..... Moffett Field, Treasure Island, Alameda, Mare Island, Hunter's Point, Oak Knoll, and probably a couple I'm forgetting). There were 4 of us, and I don't know what she was paid for us to play there, but we each got $10, (a fair amount of money for the time). We were treated like Rock Stars, my older sister would bring her girlfriends, and not one of them would get a chance to sit down for even one song...the guys were lined up to get a dance with each of them.... there were HUNDREDS of sailors and 3-4 girls!

Funny, I guess we grew up together in different places!

Rob...

Yeah' date=' I was playing rhythm on a Rick with a nice low action and flatwounds. They were a little heavier than I really normally like on an acoustic (I fingerpicked with a lotta silk 'n' steels in those days), but they weren't that bad.

I'm surprised a Jag would have a high action. Never played one, but I always liked the idea of the shorter scale.

The bass... yeah, to me the bass always is harder on fingers. I played a Precision at one point in time, but even with flatwounds it seemed harder on the hands. As you say, a different technique.

m

[/quote']

Milod, believe me...it wan't the guitar's fault..... I was young and too busy to take the time to set it up properly, even though each string was individually adjustable, (I NEVER messed with the truss rod). As I got older, (like 17), I started to care how the guitar was set up.

Yeah, when I started. A cheap Silvertone will do that. I still am missing part of my fingerprints on my left hand. The bloody figers convinced my parents that I needed a "good" guitar and that's when I got my first Gibson, a C-0 classical.

Twenty five years ago I played my old acoustic until it made my chin bleed.

Seriously.

I was sitting on the couch in my underwear watching TV on a rare day off - much needed time to chill out.

Kept the acoustic there to strum as I felt the urge.

Used to try to pick along with commercial jingles and TV theme music as it came along.

I figure that's about as random as it gets, so it's good for the ear, eh?

Anyhow, I was leaning forward trying to hear the strings to tune up when the high E string popped.

Damn!

It grazed my chin as it went by, and opened up the thinnest slice you ever saw.

Didn't realize it at first, until I felt what I thought was sweat running down my neck to my chest.

Suddenly I realized I was bleeding like a damned stuck pig!

The underwear detail I included in the story pays off here;

Since I was wearing no clothes, I had to throw away only the underwear with the bloodstains.

Luckily, none of it got to the couch or dripped on the carpet.

Jumped in the shower with a mirror to try to see what the hell was going on - if I was gonna die....

The cut was less than an inch long, and closed up nicely without a scab.

Skipped shaving for a couple weeks to make sure.

Wiped the guitar down with Windex after I got out of the shower.

Good as new.

Fingers.jpg

Mine is almost the same. Maybe a little less ****ed up.

Used to jam with some friends a long time ago. Music weren't the most important thing in those days' date=' though. I never had my fingers bleed after a full night of jamming. My nose is a whole other story... [drool

Archived