Gibson Brands Forums

Life is good

Gilliangirl

I cleaned the house from stem to stern, then headed downstairs to the music room tonight, guilt-free (clean house).

I put on the soundtrack to Crazy Heart, then figured out the chords for every single song and played along. I wish I could post pics of the music room but I really can't, because when the lights are down it's so cool, but camera does not capture that ambience. The fireplace is blazing, the mixer lights are flashing, the rope lights around my little stage are warm and inviting. My blue lava lamp casts a cool glow onto the stage where it sits in the corner, and the pickup on Lily is damn good. My 20 year old speakers boom out Jeff Bridges and the Delmore Brothers, and I can feel the vibration on the neck of the guitar. I play til my fingers hurt, then sit the guitar down on the stand under the blue neon clock on the wall, which shines on the silver tuner buttons. I stare at the guitar, still plugged in, while it reflects the glow of candles and blue lights. A guitar is a wonderous magical thing, isn't it?

Life is good.

A guitar is a wonderous magical thing' date=' isn't it?

Life is good.[/quote']

Yes it is!!

And life is good!

After reading a few days ago how you had been "slacking off " lately, this is a nice post to read, I couldn't be happier for you.

BTW, in the "life is good" column..........my friend Victor Petrucelly http://experiencespokane.com/petrucellysviolins/ who is a violin maker and also sells stringed instruments out of his shop in Spokane, took in a beautiful Morgan rosewood dreadnought on consignment and guess who he sold it to? [smile]

All I can say is that it is a stunning, beautifully crafted instrument that plays easily and sounds amazing! Victor knows that I'm a small family farmer and that I have built a couple of guitars between my time spent doing equipment overhauls and watching RHS, WSU and GU basketball games during the winter downtime. He also knows that I have an understanding for how difficult it is to make a good instrument much less an exceptional one, and that I put great value in working within the family unit. He has introduced me to the joys of small luthiers who work with their wives and children and because of him I now own the Morgan as well as a beautiful Lowden.

I love all kinds of music, but I don't really play other folks music. So what comes out of the soundhole of my guitars comes from my heart and head and it reflects who I am and what I feel as a farmer who starts every year with an empty slate. I really enjoy the Gibson, Martin and Taylor guitars that I own, but I can't describe the inspiration I get when I play these small luthier's guitars........I feel as though they look at the raw wood in their shops in the same way as I look at the bare soil on my farm......with everything at risk and lots of potential. And in the end, thanks to those wonderous magical things, life is good!

Oh, and also BTW.....sometimes after I'm finished playing, I'll also put the guitar on a stand and just enjoy looking at it with the lights reflecting off of it for a few minutes before I put it back in it's case and store it away for another day's playing.

Karen, I know what you mean. I wasn't expecting for Crazy Heart to be so good. Especially the songs. Third time I watched it I played along to some. (Not well, of course!). The music room mystique is also something I didn't expect to add to my 'life is good' quotient. I think, for some of us, having an appealing physical space helps us center. I guess alcohol helped "Bad" since he was on the road so much. We're lucky.

I cleaned the house from stem to stern' date=' then headed downstairs to the music room tonight, guilt-free (clean house).

I put on the soundtrack to Crazy Heart, then figured out the chords for every single song and played along. I wish I could post pics of the music room but I really can't, because when the lights are down it's so cool, but camera does not capture that ambience. The fireplace is blazing, the mixer lights are flashing, the rope lights around my little stage are warm and inviting. My blue lava lamp casts a cool glow onto the stage where it sits in the corner, and the pickup on Lily is damn good. My 20 year old speakers boom out Jeff Bridges and the Delmore Brothers, and I can feel the vibration on the neck of the guitar. I play til my fingers hurt, then sit the guitar down on the stand under the blue neon clock on the wall, which shines on the silver tuner buttons. I stare at the guitar, still plugged in, while it reflects the glow of candles and blue lights. A guitar is a wonderous magical thing, isn't it?

Life is good.[/quote']

GG you are inspireing to us all ![cool]

Yes it is!!

And life is good!

After reading a few days ago how you had been "slacking off " lately' date=' this is a nice post to read, I couldn't be happier for you.

BTW, in the "life is good" column..........my friend Victor Petrucelly http://experiencespokane.com/petrucellysviolins/ who is a violin maker and also sells stringed instruments out of his shop in Spokane, took in a beautiful Morgan rosewood dreadnought on consignment and guess who he sold it to? [cool

All I can say is that it is a stunning, beautifully crafted instrument that plays easily and sounds amazing! Victor knows that I'm a small family farmer and that I have built a couple of guitars between my time spent doing equipment overhauls and watching RHS, WSU and GU basketball games during the winter downtime. He also knows that I have an understanding for how difficult it is to make a good instrument much less an exceptional one, and that I put great value in working within the family unit. He has introduced me to the joys of small luthiers who work with their wives and children and because of him I now own the Morgan as well as a beautiful Lowden.

I love all kinds of music, but I don't really play other folks music. So what comes out of the soundhole of my guitars comes from my heart and head and it reflects who I am and what I feel as a farmer who starts every year with an empty slate. I really enjoy the Gibson, Martin and Taylor guitars that I own, but I can't describe the inspiration I get when I play these small luthier's guitars........I feel as though they look at the raw wood in their shops in the same way as I look at the bare soil on my farm......with everything at risk and lots of potential. And in the end, thanks to those wonderous magical things, life is good!

Oh, and also BTW.....sometimes after I'm finished playing, I'll also put the guitar on a stand and just enjoy looking at it with the lights reflecting off of it for a few minutes before I put it back in it's case and store it away for another day's playing.

Farmer Roy are you from Spokane area of Wa. ? :-

I cleaned the house from stem to stern' date=' then headed downstairs to the music room tonight, guilt-free (clean house).

Life is good.[/quote']

Ain't it strange that we all have "things" we relate to guilt? For men, it's sometimes a clean garage, mowed lawn, washed car....you know....things that mean nothing in the big scope of things...but it's what we relate to as contentment, (conversely guilt when NOT completed).

Glad you're back on board.

In reference to "Crazy Heart", I was just thinking how this film started out as an independent kind of art house movie

and has grown into an Oscar winner. I'll bet when it was first released 98% of America had no idea it was even showing.

Great music and screen writing, what a concept. It shows us that we can have films that don't have to be rife with murder,

socio-pathic behavior, flashing screen images and destruction at every turn.

A song of redemption!

........I feel as though they look at the raw wood in their shops in the same way as I look at the bare soil on my farm......with everything at risk and lots of potential. And in the end' date=' thanks to those wonderous magical things, life is good!

Oh, and also BTW.....sometimes after I'm finished playing, I'll also put the guitar on a stand and just enjoy looking at it with the lights reflecting off of it for a few minutes before I put it back in it's case and store it away for another day's playing. [/quote']

.....'bare soil on my farm'..... what a beautiful analogy! There's definitely a song in there for sure. I wish I could write songs. I have an idea, and I even know what I want to say, but getting it down on paper is another thing. It never turns out the way I want it to. That's a skill you've got there, FR!

That mystical aura around a guitar is something I understand more and more as I play. Guitars are capable of capturing a reflection of a persons heart ache and joy in a way that words are simply unable to. I'm glad to hear you are basking in it at the moment that is a wonderful kind of feeling. On a side note it sounds like you have an awesome music room, I mostly just play on my stoop or in my room.

I wish I could write songs. I have an idea' date=' and I even know what I want to say, but getting it down on paper is another thing. It never turns out the way I want it to. [/quote']

I'm sure you can! Just go with the flow and see what happens. I'll bet that you'll surprise yourself with what you come up with. I'm more a fingerpicking melody type music maker-upper and don't really think in terms of playing songs w/ lyrics. For me, the process of turning my thoughts to sound and actually hearing what I've been thinking coming out through my guitar is what I find to be most satisfying.

Archived