Gibson Brands Forums

I Hate These Guitars!

upl8tr

My goodness' date=' I was so impressed and surprised at your insightful witty and thought provoking reply to my post that I almost fell out my chair, I mean surely if Mark Twain were alive he’d be cowering in fear at your towering intellect and disdain for the mundane!

I salute you sir, and await you predictably forthcoming edification with baited breath![/quote']

"Baited" in the sense you use it would actually be "bated", a contraction of "abated". Welcome to the forums. :-

"Baited" in the sense you use it would actually be "bated"' date=' a contraction of "abated". Welcome to the forums. [cool']

Thank you Sir, for pointing out my inadequacy, I stand corrected.

It would appear that getting a contraction wrong would further serve to confirm that not only am I too young to have an opinion of any consequence, but that I am also stooped as well!

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum; it has been a pleasure so far.........................[biggrin]

I would have to be literally starving before I'd depart from my 360/12.

Hi DWP37,

I’m relatively new here, and it is becoming apparent to me that you (I) have to make yourself very clear when posting, just to confirm I’m deffo not having a pop at Ricks, in any way whatsoever.

What I mean was that I suddenly realised that for no quantifiable reason I did not like them, not that they were inferior or anything like that!

What I was asking (trying) to find out was if other people here had felt the same way about a guitar, any kind of guitar no matter who makes it.

(Basically, what I’m saying is that if you won the guitar in a raffle you would send a friend to collect it, kind of thing! Lol )

Thank you Sir' date=' for pointing out my inadequacy, I stand corrected.

It would appear that getting a contraction wrong would further serve to confirm that not only am I too young to have an opinion of any consequence, but that I am also stooped as well!

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum; it has been a pleasure so far.........................:-k

[/quote']

With respect, a simple misspelling or the correction thereof is hardly cause for such lamentation. Your character was never in question.

"Stooped" in the sense your are using it, should be spelled "stupid". Unless, of course, your meaning is that you have poor posture or some health-related issue that causes you to stoop over. And no one implied anything as regards your intellect. You needn't be so sensitive. There are a variety of personalities and senses of humor here. It may take some time to become familiar and comfortable. I'm sure, if you give us and yourself a chance, you'll enjoy it here. But it doesn't always happen in the first 30 posts. Relax, enjoy and keep a smile in your heart. It's easy. [biggrin]

Hi DWP37' date='

I’m relatively new here, and it is becoming apparent to me that you (I) have to make yourself very clear when posting, just to confirm I’m deffo not having a pop at Ricks, in any way whatsoever.

What I mean was that I suddenly realised that for no quantifiable reason I did not like them, not that they were inferior or anything like that!

What I was asking (trying) to find out was if other people here had felt the same way about a guitar, any kind of guitar no matter who makes it.

(Basically, what I’m saying is that if you won the guitar in a raffle you would send a friend to collect it, kind of thing! Lol )

[/quote']

No offense taken or anything. I actually can not stand the mass of the head stock. Sounds beautiful but I can only accurately play it while sitting down.

I’ve never held one let alone played one so how can I say I hate them? I dunno but I do!

Now' date=' does this mean I am I a freak, or is this something others can identify with?[/quote']

I've never held or played one either but a Rick is very high on my list of guitars that I want. But, I'm basing my wants on having heard them on lots of recordings and liking what I heard. You're basing your feelings not on anything about the guitar itself, but on some sales guy who got on your nerves.

I was with you until the part about the 620.

ANYBODY who's ever played one knows the 381-V69 is the way to go!

Damn. I stand corrected.

And I saw that someone has a 325. On some of the smaller Ricks, like the 325, my fingers do not fit between the upper frets. Weird, eh?

Back in the olden days <grin> I played a Rick in a rock band. I have good memories of playing and the relatively heavy weight of the guitar I used, but - not even of the neck, really.

I think this thread is a great proof of my "big deal" that people should play a guitar to make purchase decisions even more than "type" or even "sound."

If it doesn't "feel" like it's "your guitar" and is a part of you, you have two choices: Never feel comfortable playing it and therefore why bother, or you can play it so much that your body positioning (from hands to arms even to positioning your head and the rest of your carcass) makes subtle changes to adopt to it.

Joe Pass went from a solidbody Fender at one point to a 175 shape. <grin>

I dunno. I'm personally convinced that at some point the feel of the instrument for the player is more important than any other factor. You can always make changes to electronics or tuning pegs... and who cares about comments about "gee, why do you play THAT style?"

m

On some of the smaller Ricks' date=' like the 325, my fingers do not fit between the upper frets. Weird, eh?[/quote']

Yeah, there's certainly differences in their line that escape most people.

I'm not big on short scale stuff like you mention, but I do okay with the super skinny necks like the 381.

I've wanted a 650 Dakota for the longest time, the neck on them is actually pretty beefy.

And as I said, I need a 620, and a...

DWP37

BTW, I've had a print of what's in your avatar on one wall or another in my presence for roughly 45 years. It's so faded I'd forgotten the un-blue of the piece. <grin>

What bothers me now is that the old guitarist looks younger than I do.

m

DWP37

BTW' date=' I've had a print of what's in your avatar on one wall or another in my presence for roughly 45 years. It's so faded I'd forgotten the un-blue of the piece. <grin>

What bothers me now is that the old guitarist looks younger than I do.

m

[/quote']

His blue period was always my favorite. I always liked "Guernica" too.

I wanted a Ricky for a while and when I asked advice from the forum I got very possitive responces regarding the instrument. The sound is gorgeous but once I actually held one I realized it was not comfortable to play. The neck suited me just fine, though I'd prefer no varnish on the fretboard. It was that body that wasn't the most comfy.

I'll stick to Gibs and Fenders.

Gretchies are catching my ears too >.<

Ok' date=' I'll say it.

They hate you too! :D[/quote']

ROFL, Touché. [lol]

And while we're on the subject, what about those reverse headstock strats, Ewwwwwwwww!

Just sayin thats all.....................:-

ROFL' date=' Touché. [lol']

And while we're on the subject, what about those reverse headstock strats, Ewwwwwwwww!

Just sayin thats all.....................[lol]

Your one of those guys who likes those shity ESP's? :D

Archived