Gibson Brands Forums

Explain Clapton to me...

freak show

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clapton is a great self promoter. Look how if there's benefit concert he's there,

if fellow musician ask him to come sit in he does, and he also put's on CrossRoads

and is constantly on tour. I didn't care much at first but he just kept showing up.

He played the Last waltz, Concert for Bangladesh, Farm Aid, The Diana concert.

How many other big name guitar players are out there like he is. I've seen quite

a few of his shows and never been disappointed.

CW

If you have to have Clapton "explained" to you...you don't and won't get it' date=' anyway.

And..that's OK! I've never gotten (among others) SRV, really. I understand where

he was coming from, and...He was a great player, but...just didn't do anything spectacular,

to me, on a gut level. Hendrix and Albert King, did it so much better, to begin with.

So..."different strokes, for different folks!" EC, on the other hand, I've always loved!

But, that's just me! People like who they like, and don't who they don't! That's all.

CB[/quote']

Leave SRV out of it and I'll won't get started on the Beatles. How can a Band with No Singers or real virtuosic talent become so popular. [cool]

OT - Clapton knows how to put on a Show, he knows how to arrange songs to fit his audience. He's one of the fines Lead Players of the last 50 and his rhythms are Impeccable. He has a nice character in his voice and he never sings out of tune or overpowers his vocal chords. Most of all, he knows how to surround himself with musicians that Compliment his abilities, not lesser musicians that would make him "Shine" by comparison. The music comes before ego, and he's earned an Ego the size of Axl Roses, he doesn't use it. Axl , on the other hand.......

So there you have it.

When i was in Middle school theirs a room where is all desks and chairs and i had to get a desk and i found 5 very old desks with the words "CLAPTON IS GOD!!!" on it.

You dont need any explantion from any of these guys just listen to the music.

First off, let me say that I absolutely love Clapton's music.

Like many things, his appeal simply can't be explained--it's either understood or not understood, although I believe that there are some intermediary positions on Clapton (i.e. "I kind of like him" or "He's just okay.") If I tried to explain it, though, I'd be at a loss. I've tried explaining a lot of music to a lot of people--it seems that for everything I dig (Clapton, Rush, Leonard Cohen, Rory Gallagher, Yes, Blue Cheer, Grateful Dead, QMS, what-have-you,) there are people who simply won't get it. And there's nothing wrong with that. My belief is that taste isn't developed through critical analysis or deep thought--it's experiential and irrational. You may be able to rationalize your tastes--I have a guitar teacher who claims that he only likes music with what he considers "solid construction" (a vague and nebulous term to begin with)--but ultimately, these rationalizations aren't the causes of your tastes, rather they are attempts at logically justifying that which can't be logically justified. So no, I can't explain Clapton, but I don't think you should feel bad for wanting an explanation.

A few things to keep in mind, I suppose, is that (even with regard to his influences) Clapton truly was a trend-setter. He brought the notion of "blues-rock" to and well beyond the mainstream, then abandoned it and helped to do the same for "pop-blues" and "adult contemporary," although not quite as single-handedly. Yep, a trend-setter, and trend-setters tend to maintain large followings. Ever wonder why The Ramones (a band that I never "got") are still talked about so long after their heyday?

Just a quick anecdote: for the past four years, I have consistently claimed that Blue Cheer's Vincebus Eruptum is one of the finest albums ever recorded. As of today, I've played the album for several close friends and acquaintances of mine, and it seems as if I'm the only one I know intimately who recognizes the album's appeal. During that time period I also heard a tremendous amount of hype surrounding the Red Hot Chili Peppers. For some reason, even though they're fairly capable musicians (Flea is a talented and sophisticated musician, even if in my opinion he makes a lousy rock bassist,) I've downright hated everything of theirs that I've heard. "Under the Bridge" bored me to tears, "Wet Sand" made me want to take a nap, and I even ended up rolling my eyes at "Dani California." Call it what you want, but I call it taste--not good, not bad, just what it is and nothing more or less.

Leave SRV out of it and I'll won't get started on the Beatles. How can a Band with No Singers or real virtuosic talent become so popular. [cool]

The same way the Sex Pistols became popular. Music is about ideas and expression. The Beatles were completely different than anything else at the time. Being able to play takes a backseat to being able to write any day.

Its all personal taste, bud.

I didn't 'get' Clapton until a few years ago. I bought a CD off of a recommendation that featured a couple of artists, one of which being Clapton. I would skip over the track at the time, because I hated it. I got the Eric Clapton 20th Century CD for Christmas two years ago, popped it in, and I got it.

Conversely, my friend played me SRV about 5 years ago, never mentioned his name, and I fell in love instantly.

Nothing wrong with not getting Clapton, its all personal taste. I never 'got' the Rolling Stones. [cool]

The same way the Sex Pistols became popular. Music is about ideas and expression. The Beatles were completely different than anything else at the time. Being able to play takes a backseat to being able to write any day.

And SRV did both......

He doesn't deserve the status. I've got all his records, seen him live twice (which was dull) and read his biography (which was quite interesting), but he's just a good guitarist. His playing during the 60s was very impressive and influencial and he had 5 very good years. But then he seemed to loose his edge during the 70s and 80s and produced some unremarkable, almost easy listening albums and living off past glories. I don't respect him for that and albums like Journey Man only reinforce this.

He was a good guitarist in his time, but he doesn't deserve his status.

Clapton is like the Blues you gotta feel it to appreciate it' date=' and if you don't then nobody else can explain it to you. [/quote']

You mean feel like a middle aged, suburban, white guy?

(I kid, sort of).

Does this sound familiar?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5dpp2iCRwM[/YOUTUBE]

Yep' date=' that's Albert King doing a Leon Russell Song ('cept i think he forgot the word), which sounds a lot like what Stevie Ray does when he plays an Albert King tune. One of the misconceptions about SRV is that he copies Albert King for everything he does. Actually that perception steams from the Posthumously Released "The Sky Is Crying" album, which featured Outakes from previous Albums. The were Outakes because SRV didn't like something about them, like maybe they were too close to Alberts originals or just not SRV enough.

Now you listen to "Soul to Soul" or "In Step" and you'll hear SRV at his most original. Or listen to some of "Dirty Pool" off of "Texas Flood". Holy Crap, take a listen to "Couldn't Stand the Weather", the song or the album.

Here's a little Food for Thought.

[YOUTUBE']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVkUxeZ1pq0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOF8QmRBVng[/YOUTUBE]

Now that was smoking! That is how you play electric blues. Listen to the hot' date=' rich tone of that Flying V & the feedback swells. Man, now I am amped up to play my guitar loudly.[/quote']

I saw him 3 Months before he died. He still had it, even at the end.

Yep' date=' that's Albert King doing a Leon Russell Song ('cept i think he forgot the word), which sounds a lot like what Stevie Ray does when he plays an Albert King tune. One of the misconceptions about SRV is that he copies Albert King for everything he does. Actually that perception steams from the Posthumously Released "The Sky Is Crying" album, which featured Outakes from previous Albums. The were Outakes because SRV didn't like something about them, like maybe they were too close to Alberts originals or just not SRV enough.

Now you listen to "Soul to Soul" or "In Step" and you'll hear SRV at his most original. Or listen to some of "Dirty Pool" off of "Texas Flood". Holy Crap, take a listen to "Couldn't Stand the Weather", the song or the album.

Here's a little Food for Thought.

[/quote']

I don't hear any King in SRV's playing. It's all Hendrix. As great as SRV was I cannot get past that Strat tone. Makes me face sour. And it's not his fault, but the swarms of rich white kids ripping off his sound and style is sickening. I would hate that to be his legacy.

Explain him?

Seems to me that bands in Clapton's era took black blues' date=' electrified it, amplified it, put a modern (read psychodelic) spin on it, and made it popular to the (white) mass audience. Clapton is an amazing talent, but as the British like to say, not everyone's cup of tea. I think most older players and listeners get Clapton and appreciate him as one of the originals from that era.

I think Pete Townsend is over-rated, but I love some of his stuff and "get it." I think that it is significant that both of those guys thought they were out of business when Hendrix came along.[/quote']

Zigzag..Pete Townsend 'over-rated!!' ...he is the best British song writer ever..no doubt...then Ray Davies...I'm not talking Guitarist....I'm talking song writing.....Just check out 'Endless Wire' the last Who album....sounds like they made it in the 70's...eg still has edge, great lyrics, hooky riffs..etc. etc..yet is relevant to today

Pete has not mellowed with age...he has just got better and better...

Now that was smoking! That is how you play electric blues. Listen to the hot' date=' rich tone of that Flying V & the feedback swells. Man, now I am amped up to play my guitar loudly.[/quote']

Glad I could help

I just don't like SRV.......sorry

One fact.....

JIMMY PAGE IS THE GREATEST ROCK GUITARIST OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't hear any King in SRV's playing. It's all Hendrix. As great as SRV was I cannot get past that Strat tone. Makes me face sour. And it's not his fault' date=' but the swarms of rich white kids ripping off his sound and style is sickening. I would hate that to be his legacy.[/quote']

As a guy who's listened to all of Hendrix and all of SRV's catalogs, I must dissagree. There's no doubt you can hear Hendrix and all fo SRV's influences in everything he plays, But "All Hendrix?", nope. You're not hearing the Lonnie Mack, Buddy Guy, Jimmie Vaughan (big time), Albert Collins, **** Dale, Freddie King, or what all.

Have to agree with you about the Younger Vaughan followers, though. They're way to wrapped up in sounding just like him, without exploring his influences.

When someone asks me how to play like Clapton, I tell them to check out some Elmore James, Freddie King, and T-Bone Walker. When someone askes about SRV's tone I say, "Pretend your Lonnie Mack trying to cop an Albert King tune."

Some one asks how to play like Elmore James I say, "Tune a Tele to G chord and try to play like Robert Johnson."

It all comes from somewhere else first, just cause you can pick out where it comes from doesn't make it poor.

Glad I could help

I just don't like SRV.......sorry

One fact.....

JIMMY PAGE IS THE GREATEST ROCK GUITARIST OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care if you like him or not, just when someone says "I don't like him cause he sounds too much like Albert King", I get the impression that person hasn't heard the best, just the radio.

Take Gary Moore, I couldn't Stand him 'cause he was a Half Baked metal wannabe when I first heard him. I could have kept that opinion, but when I was turned on to some of his good stuff, I changed my mind. Still not one of my Favorites, but he's not the limited poser I thought he was.

I have never been a Clapton fan . . . until a year ago.

I never understood his godlike status. However, my guitar teacher told me that I should take a closer look because of a couple reasons.

First, he was one of the guys who helped bring American blues into peoples' consciousness. Second, we live in a musical age where it's all about how many notes you play. He's always been a player who understood it's more about what you don't play. That makes what you do play more powerful..

Kind of Zen.

Anyway, I began taking a closer listen to him, and what I've discovered by comparing him to other players is that he has a certain confidence that commands attention.

A lot of people argue his status, but you can't take away his longevity. It takes confidence in ones self to remain an important player for this long.

My favorites are Rory Gallagher and Stevie Ray, but I've come to apprecitate Clapton.

I really didn't get Clapton until about five years ago, it was Disraeli Gears that won me over. "The Fool" through a Marshall stack just sounded like a freight train[cool] I'm just now getting the newer blues stuff, it's kinda mellow but his playing is still top notch. If you listen to Disraeli gears from start to finish, and still don't like him, you never will. That's o.k. too, because I don't get Jimmy Page (puts on flame suit[laugh])

Archived