Gibson Brands Forums

the greatest guitarist alive today...

S t e v e

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

I will not badmouth anyone who has made a decent living from playing music and living a half decent life. And in the music biz, that's difficult sometimes even for the weekend warrior.

But seriously, I think it's easier to bring names from the past, and "old" names - Clapton and Knopfler and Leo Kottke and John Williams and many others are roughly as old as I am, although Knopfler's the youngest and still was born prior to 1950 and Williams is the same bunch older than Clapton and me as Knopfler is younger.

That's nothing against some incredible skill and talent among younger pickers. Heck, go into the average saloon to enjoy the local band of your choice and you'll often find as much skill and talent as many of the pre-1980 set of "names."

The problem is, and I'll keep saying it, it's a lot harder for the "gem" talent to be well known outside his/her own genre. In the '60s when the annual music polls came out, almost all readers of Playboy mag - and even girls who hated the naked lady photos - knew most of the pickers' names regardless of style. Not so today. I'd never have heard of some of these players without this forum.

I sincerely hope that "you young guys" in the 15-30 age group can be part of a generation that figures how to help good pickers of many styles be as well known as those of my generation.

m

Not the fastest, flashiest, or most technically skilled player, but as an all around great guitarist (who is also know to the wider public) Slash is pretty hard to beat in my opinion. Big thumbs up to a bunch of the names listed already too though.

Archived