Gibson Brands Forums

Judas Priest

Californiaman

I was reminded today why I liked Judas Priest so much when I was growing up.

Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing's dual guitar assault is as heavy as it gets.

This was recorded the year after I graduated from high school. Sure brings back some memories.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

In my opinion, Tipton & Downing are the 2nd best guitar duet of all time. Too bad they stayed in 3-4 minute songs in the 80's... A greatest sample of the things they could accomplish, is given in the Judas Priest early - mid 70's album. When you start with ''victim of changes'' and ''The run of the mill'', then the sky is the limit... And, imho, they did not reach their full potential...

BTW: I think that the ''Green manalishi'' by JP is the best cover song in the history of rock / metal. How many people do actually know that it was a Fleetwood Mack / Peter Green song...?

Saw Ken only a few days ago. Was nice to catch up with him after a year or so. Guess where we bumped into each other? Asda (Wallmart)!! It ain't all rock and roll yanno. [angry]

My personal fave priest song is Painkiller but to be honest I was never a huge fan.

Oh yeah!

Priest is one of my all time favorite bands.

If you'll pardon my indulgence, a short concert experience.....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TopkgGxGzQs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgCe56T4HxU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Something a bit more current....

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks Cali. I'm overdue for guitar thirty and I think I'ma play me some Judas Priest....

BTW: I think that the ''Green manalishi'' by JP is the best cover song in the history of rock / metal. How many people do actually know that it was a Fleetwood Mack / Peter Green song...?

Yeah, a lot of people don't know that.

I'm glad Judas Priest did it. That's what actually got me started with this post. I heard in on Sirius/XM's Boneyard last night.

Great rock tune.

Wow, I didn't know that. Can't picture Fleetwood Mac playing that song.

Sin After Sin is one of my favorite JP albums.

Wow' date=' I didn't know that. Can't picture Fleetwood Mac playing that song.

Sin After Sin is one of my favorite JP albums.[/quote']

Hijackig another thread ([biggrin] ), this is for LPGuitarMan. Although this is not Fleetwood Mac, it's the Man himself, with his latest group. Enjoy:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OkIUZmXHeU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Priest also did another cover by Joan Baez that really rocked "Diamonds and Rust" on "Sin after Sin" and "Unleashed in the East"

Yes, I loved listening to Unleashed in the East years ago. Diamonds and Rust was certainly one of my favorites back then.

That entire Unleashed in the East record got lots of play.

Another little know fact' date=' the movie "Rock Star" was loosely based on the drama from this band and how they dealt with certain sexual preferences of their lead singer.[/quote']

Going slightly further bro, it "WAS" supposed to be a Priest film based on when Ripper joined. Three parts of the way through filming their management pulled all ties and lawsuits were threatened unless all references were removed.

The storyline had to be radically changed, thus Rockstar. Actually it turned out to be fairly entertaining too.

I think it was supposed to be called Metal Gods originally.

I have a vivid memory of seeing them around 1985 at the Baltimore Civic Center. Walking to our seats, someone started a chant of "Judas F****in Priest" over and over. I just remember those thousasnds of voices echoing in the concrete stairwells. Good times [biggrin]

Whats up Chris? Hows the tour going? So is Dean taking care of ya? Miss your insightful posts here. Be good Rock Star!

You may have missed the post mate? I SO PULLED from the Dean Deal. Only an idiot with more money than sense would sign to them as you pay full price for a guitar then as a REWARD you get a pic on the Dean website. I was fairly rude to that dude.

I accepted a deal with Halo Cusom Guitars in Cali instead bro.

Tour should start around June bro after the new CD release which I am looking forward to. I am emotionally knackered after all this recording.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived