Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite shows as a child

MojoRedFoot

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a child, it was radio, not TV. The Texaco presentation of the Metroploitan Opera was one. There were various serials including "Gunsmoke" and "Sky King" that transferred to TV. Some of the first TV shows were Soupy Sales and Kukla , Fran and Ollie. After school TV was mostly older movies and an odd assortment of "Public Service" shows that filled a lot of time. Evening shows were "I Love Lucy" and Jackie Gleason. That was back at a time when anything on TV was "good", and we would watch just about anything. Of course, the choices were very limited, 2 or 3 stations.

Depends on how young...

Romper Room, Captain Kangaroo... the Bozo Show were weekday morning favorites. Green Hornet and Land of the Giants was a night time favorite when I was very young.

Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers and The Electric Company during my pre-school years...

HR Puffinstuff, The Banana Splits, The Monkees, The Partridge Family... Lost in Space and the aforementioned Wild Wild West.

On Sundays we watched the 3 Stooges, Kukla, Fran and Ollie... sometimes a Shirley Temple movie or some version of a Hercules movie.

Ahhh... youth!

Grampa...

You're right... one returned from school to "watch" the radio. And oddly, that's exactly what one did before the now ubiquitous televisionary set came into our living rooms with 60-foot towers for an uncle-tenna that would catch snowy black and white television shows.

There was the B-Bar-B ranch, for example, as one of my favorites. Red Ryder was another, of course. At night, Fibber McGee and Molly and the Inner Sanctum.

At night I had a great big multi-band console radio and would listen for overseas broadcasts and stuff like John Lee Hooker that I discovered that way, all before I really hit 12.

TV? Well, there was the Camel News Caravan with John Cameron Swayze... Ted Mack's Amateur Hour... You Asked for It... the Lone Ranger...

m

Gilligan's Island, Green Acres, The Adams Family, Get Smart, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Petticoat Junction, Bewitched, Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Believe it or Not, Dragnet, Star Trek, Lost in Space... off the top od my head...

Depends on how young...

Romper Room' date=' Captain Kangaroo... the Bozo Show were weekday morning favorites. Green Hornet and Land of the Giants was a night time favorite when I was very young.

Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers and The Electric Company during my pre-school years...

HR Puffinstuff, The Banana Splits, The Monkees, The Partridge Family... Lost in Space and the aforementioned Wild Wild West.

On Sundays we watched the 3 Stooges, Kukla, Fran and Ollie... sometimes a Shirley Temple movie or some version of a Hercules movie.

Ahhh... youth![/quote']

Do you know that in 3 years of watching that show they never ONCE said my name in that damn magic mirror?????

Gilligan's Island' date=' Green Acres, The Adams Family, Get Smart, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Petticoat Junction, Bewitched, Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Believe it or Not, Dragnet, Star Trek, Lost in Space... off the top od my head...[/quote']

Add Batman in there and you'd have all my shows too. Wow, we have a lot in common! As a kid I wrote a Gilligan's Island trivia book.

Did you know that Paul Lynde was on only 11 episodes as Samantha's Uncle Arthur? He was so popular that most people thought he was in a lot of them...

Same shows as daveinspain and rocketman plus the always exciting Johnny Quest couldn't wait to see what trouble Johnny and Hadji could get into with Bandit and then Roger "Race" Bannan and the Doctor would have to get involved.

Kinda sad that I remember all the names [crying]

That was when TV was worth watching though before the damn reality TV ruined it all.

The Andy Griffith Show

Gilligan's Island

Bugs Bunny

Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote

I Dream of Jeannie

Hee Haw

Smothers Brothers

Johnny Cash Show

Star Trek (TOS[The Only Series {at the time}])

Archived