Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar playing is not a contest....

ShredAstaire

Maybe it is a contest and we all just didn't get the memo.

From the looks of it you have to agree with whoever posts in here, or else they will pile on you.

I don't know why people act that way... a guy likes gary moore or steve vai, well if others don't I don't see why they have to be rude and start ****. If someone likes something you don't, good for him. I don't get all the bashing 'cause you don't like what I do or 'cause you like what I don't.

From the looks of it you have to agree with whoever posts in here' date=' or else they will pile on you.

I don't know why people act that way... a guy likes gary moore or steve vai, well if others don't I don't see why they have to be rude and start ****. If someone likes something you don't, good for him. I don't get all the bashing 'cause you don't like what I do or 'cause you like what I don't.

[/quote']

I hear that Das kid is a god at guitar playing.

Also i agree with your small minded theory t-god.

From the looks of it you have to agree with whoever posts in here' date=' or else they will pile on you.

[/quote']

Yeah....i'm not gonna jump on anyone here bud....just thought some people needed a reminder. Bashing = no good.

I don't like most of your (everyone here) fav guitarists but i keep my damn mouth shut about it and respect your opinion.

All bashing makes me want to come here less and less.

I am the best guitarist of all anyway so why waste any time' date=' I am guitarer than all, I am the guitarest![/quote']

I agree...you are...end of conversation.....SHREDDY FOR PREZ!

OHHHHH....and I'll be running the the beer and rum wagon

Guitar Playing may not be a competition, but Performance is. Every time you take the stage you're competing with every other performer the audience has seen. You're competing with every other Performer the Venue Owner has hired. You're competing with the next Up and Coming performer that that Venue Owner comes in contact with. If you have an Agent, you're in competition with every other Client that Agent represents. If you're a recording Artist, you're in competition with every other Recording that may be played on the airwaves, or downloaded from an Online Marketplace.

If you just want to entertain yourself, it's no competition at all.

I think it IS a competition, or should be...if only with (mostly) yourself. That's how you grow!

Get complacent, and self-satisfied, and you stop progressing. The difference

becomes, in whether or not, you'll allow yourself, to learn from the very people

who might even intimidate you, playing wise. Or, if you just give up. A lot of what I

hear, on this forum, and others, is (really) just envy (even jealousy) that comes out as

criticism of the players they don't like, for one reason or another, as well as the praise,

or even unrealistic "Hype," for those same players that they DO like.

I'll never be a "Clapton," or "Hendrix," or SRV, etc...but, I can learn stuff, and have, from All...

then incorporate it, to the best of my abilities/talents, into what I do. That, to me, is the

more important factor. You can learn techniques and "licks" from any type music.

Cheers,

CB

I think it IS a competition' date=' or should be...if only with (mostly) yourself. That's how you grow!

Get complacent, and self-satisfied, and you stop progressing. The difference

becomes, in whether or not, you'll allow yourself, to learn from the very people

who might even intimidate you, playing wise. Or, if you just give up. A lot of what I

hear, on this forum, and others, is (really) just envy (even jealousy) that comes out as

criticism of the players they don't like, for one reason or another, as well as the praise,

or even unrealistic "Hype," for those same players that you DO like.

I'll never be a "Clapton," or "Hendrix," or SRV, etc...but, I can learn stuff, and have, from All...

then incorporate it, to the best of my abilities/talents, into what I do. That, to me, is the

more important factor. You can learn techniques and "licks" from any typle music.

Cheers,

CB[/quote']

Bravo! Some may be more competitive than they need to be, but we shouldn't make a sport out of an artistic expression. That may be lesson the more popular players have learned. Is there any doubt that BB King is one of our most cherished players?

Yet he is not technically the "best" player in the world, I'm sure he knows this as well as anyone who has ever heard him and Segovia, but who sold the most records? Neither man (IMO) would concern himself with such trivial matters of the ego, they are driven by a greater passion then one upsmanship.

Archived