Gibson Brands Forums

Hotel Etiquette

TommyK

This subject was touched upon in another thread.

When leaving a hotel room, my mother would wipe down the tub and sink. Then make the beds. She grew up in a time when taking an over night trip involved staying at a friend or relative's home. Making the bed was just common courtesy.

I always pull the comforter off the bed, shake it out, then the blanket followed by the top sheet. I wad them in separate piles on the bed. I find more personal items that way. I end up leaving less of my 'stuff' behind.

In the bath, I just pile the bath linens I used in the sink.

I figure that makes the clean up more efficient. The towels probably all get washed in the same load so go in the same basket. All being in the sink makes it easier than rounding them up from the tub, floor, etc.

I assume the beds get stripped in the clean up process, so making the bed with hospital corners just makes it harder to strip. I always leave the fitted sheet on. I'm confident personal items never get under there. and.... you really don't want to see what some hotel mattresses look like. :-&

Am I right? or Wrong?

Would KSMOMMY thank me or thump me on the forehead? [blink]

This subject was touched upon in another thread.

When leaving a hotel room' date=' my mother would wipe down the tub and sink. Then make the beds. She grew up in a time when taking an over night trip involved staying at a friend or relative's home. Making the bed was just common courtesy.

I always pull the comforter off the bed, shake it out, then the blanket followed by the top sheet. I wad them in separate piles on the bed. I find more personal items that way. I end up leaving less of my 'stuff' behind.

In the bath, I just pile the bath linens I used in the sink.

I figure that makes the clean up more efficient. The towels probably all get washed in the same load so go in the same basket. All being in the sink makes it easier than rounding them up from the tub, floor, etc.

I assume the beds get stripped in the clean up process, so making the bed with hospital corners just makes it harder to strip. I always leave the fitted sheet on. I'm confident personal items never get under there. and.... you really don't want to see what some hotel mattresses look like. :-&

Am I right? or Wrong?

Would KSMOMMY thank me or thump me on the forehead? [cool

I used to work in Marriott hotels. yes, the linens and towels are washed together. Don't use the comforter. They don't get washed as often.

Your mom is just doing what is going to get done anyway. No need to wipe down the sink and stuff. It would actually be better if she didn't. A cleaning person might see it clean and assume that it does not need further cleaning. Best to let them know where you have been so it gets cleaned properly for the next patron.

I don't go nuts but I will pile any dirty towels together on the floor of the bathroom and also remove and tie up the garbage bags. I will wipe off the table where I set up my laptop or at least brush the cracker crumbs and ashes into the trash. And I will make sure the toothpaste spit is rinsed down the drain. I know they will clean it anyway but there's no need to gross them out.

KSmommy sez if a room was used, it gets cleaned regardless of what looks dirty or not. I'm betting that varies from chain to chain. She says sheets and such get laundered separate from towels. The comforters.... I'd rather not say how often they get washed. And she said they get washed more often there than at many chains.

And she just told me the most courteous thing you can do is (quote) "Flush the f_______ toilet!" (unquote).

If I stay at a joint like this, I will not make my bed nor will I pick up afterwords. It's supposedly a deal between me, the customer and the joint taking my money. I won't leave it in a mess, but I also won't make an effort to clean up. If it's an issue with them....they have my card number

Ohhhh....and BTW....I do tip well

I tip based on service if the room is clean and I get towels towels everyday (if I leave them in the tub for replacement) and the room is overall nice I tip pretty well If it's a longer stay and I trash the room with sand etc. or have been a hard customer like surfboards stored in the room then I tip very well. If I found chicken bones and a crack pipe then I would ***** big time at the front desk while I was checking out eight then without paying.

I did stay at a hotel once in Whittier California when I was there on business when I checked in they handed me cardboard box inside there was a very nice wooden door wedge and instructions on how to use it so people could not kick in the door, a small coffeepot and a baggie with all the TV knobs and the remote in the bag. guess that was a semi polite way of saying don't go outside at night this place sucks huh? Nobody tried to kick in my door ever (damn [biggrin] ) but I did hear gunshots every night.

Who goes to a hotel and checks what might be hidden up on a shelf!!??

[confused] [confused] [confused]

LOL.....doood! Don't tell me you don't go in and open drawers and doors and check the the joint out like I do.

If ya deny it, you're lyin'....remember....the bibles in the drawer by the bed........with the pen and paper

I always leave the bed un-made, but always clean up the sink after I use it and leave all the towels in a pile on the bathroom counter. Tipping is all dependent on my length of stay. If it's an overnight, generally a couple of bucks, a week or more, usually $20 a week. I have not found any chicken bones or crack pipes in any room I've stayed in. I did see a rat running across the bed once at a dive in Killeen, Tx, and turned right around and checked out. Executive Inn and Suites of Killeen, if you ever travel there, recommend to keep on driving.

I usually just try to make it quick and easy to clean, and avoid leaving a burden.

Used towels on the floor, unused on the rack - I wonder if they just leave 'em?

Same with the bed, I pull the covers back to make sure I didn't leave anything behind.

I'll use a closet or rack to hang clothes, but I rarely open any drawers again after I check them on arrival.

I like to keep it simple so when I leave I have all my stuff with me.

If it's only overnight, I never really unpack so I can get moving in a hurry.

Compensated, night sight-equipped Glock 10mm loaded with 135 gr. Cor-Bon is my constant bedside companion.

With an extra 15 round magazine.

Right next to the Bible.

[biggrin]

I checked into a place one time and woke up in a room with no door handles on the inside of the doors and metal screen welded to the windows. You know they even forgot to put seats on the toilets!

yeah I been to that one more than a few times..........

Archived