Gibson Brands Forums

Easy Songs That Sound Difficult

STLBlues

Yeah.

That guy Hendrix was really crap, huh? Can't see what all the fuss was about.

Now then Shredders; They can all play faster than Hendrix could and, therefore, are all better guitarists!

[thumbup]

"Eruption". Hell, anyone can play that fast with an extra hand on the fretboard [blush]

But seriously. All those Hendrixy songs like "Wind Cried Mary", "Little Wing" and SRVs "Lenny" aren't quite as difficult as they sound once you learn to play all those double stops using the major pentatonic scale. That's not to say they aren't great songs, or that I could ever play them as well as the masters.

Yeah.

That guy Hendrix was really crap' date=' huh? Can't see what all the fuss was about.

Now then [u']Shredders[/u]; They can all play faster than Hendrix could and, therefore, are all better guitarists!

[biggrin]

Pippy while I can understand why you might say this about Hendrix. You have to look back at the times. In the 60's he was considered innovative and genious by some. While his performances esp. live might be considered sloppy and long. Most bands were playing only hits that would fit on a 45 record for airplay. His style helped influence the hard rock and metal of the 70's. You also have to look at point that Hendrix was caught up in the psychodelic influence of the 60's. It is incredible that he could perform at all with what was considered socially acceptable back then. Look at all the bands of the 60's & you might understand why he stood out. My last point is a quote from Joe Walsh "It's not how fast you can pick a guitar but it's getting the most out of each note."

Rewd.

'dawg, he was being sarcastic. I think he was (correctly) implying that Hendrix has more soul than a typical sterile shredder.

Whereas I do admire the physical skill it takes to play real fast I do agree that much of it is just mindless muscle memory with no soul whatsoever. Think Rusty Cooley. Faster than hell. Put you to sleep in two songs.

Maybe so if you only try to play the notes' date=' but play them as Hendrix or as SRV did and its quite the workout and a great tune. Although it might be simple but its pasted the test of time and is 30 years plus old; lets see these newer tunes and see if they last? I really doubt it

[/quote']

Yeah, listen to Hendrix and SRV, then listen to Y. Malmsteen play Voodoo Chile. Great player but I don't think he really gets the song. You can rest your case.

'dawg' date=' he was being sarcastic. I think he was (correctly) implying that Hendrix has more soul than a typical sterile shredder.

Whereas I do admire the physical skill it takes to play real fast I do agree that much of it is just mindless muscle memory with no soul whatsoever. Think Rusty Cooley. Faster than hell. Put you to sleep in two songs.[/quote']

It's hard to tell on blogs what a person's real meaning is. While I am not Hendrix's biggest fan I do respect what he did. Thanks for clarifying that.

Rewd.

[cool]

BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Somebody knows their jazz

Idk about the guitar part' date=' but if you transcribe the lead line and play that, congrats[/quote']

Yes I said that sort of tongue-n-cheek. I'm glad someone noticed that. I tip my hat to you (if I was wearing one that is).

I used to play guitar with a guy that would keep telling me: that (certain)song is really easy! and he would proceed to play about 8 bars of the song and tell me: see that's how you play it! I would ask about the remaining 4 minutes of the song and the lead part and he would always come empty handed.

My conclusion: the guy played riffs not songs, just like me.

Apologies to Rewddawg if I was being a bit obtuse.

It was meant to be 'Tongue firmly in cheek'.

90% of the blues relies on three chords. That doesn't mean it's easy to play them well. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Archived