Gibson Brands Forums

Data Mining and personal information.

retrosurfer1959

Sorry everybody hope this is not perceived as spam. If you don't mind companies collecting and selling personal information on you don't waste your time on this fairly long email. But if you do there's a big company out there (www.spokeo.com) doing some pretty amazing data mining on the internet sadly they do it so they can sell others all your personal information cheap.

They are still required to remove your data if you request it and a web writer named Chuck Ruggiero printed out the data to get off this companies lists. Like I said hope nobody thinks this is a improper post or spamming but these companies are getting nasty and I hate these suckers even more than chinese counterfeiters

Here is the forwarded email instructions for removal.

There is a data-mining company on the internet that has already collected a lot of information on you, and you need to get your information off their website. This company openly displays your credit status, home address, age, income level, who you are married to, marital status, employer, political affiliations, and on and on and on. the website is:

www.spokeo.com

HERE'S HOW TO OPT OUT OF THIS WEBSITE'S DATA FILES:

1. Go to their webpage, www.spokeo.com

2. Look yourself up by entering your name, city and state in the search box. If you don't enter the city and state, everyone in the country with the same name as yours will appear on the map. You might also want to follow these instructions for any previous addresses you have ever had, because you may be listed in several different ways...I was!

3. When you find the page with all your information on it, go to the top of the page and click on, and then copy, the URL of the page (this is the webpage address in the top bar of your browser).

4. After you copy the URL, go to the very bottom of the page and click on "PRIVACY".

5. A new page will open. Click the URL of the page you copied, into the box on this new page.

6. Go to the next box and enter your e-mail address. They need this to send you the link that will delete your data.

7. In the next box you need to enter the 6-digit alphabetic or alphanumeric code that appears right next to this box. If you see no code (it should be in purple text), then click the refresh button at the top of your browser page.

8. Click on "remove listing".

9. The bottom of the page will tell you to check your e-mail for instructions. Go open your e-mail, and open the message from Spokeo.com. It may be in your junk inbox. Once you open the message, copy the webpage URL they provide to you. Then go to a new browser page, and paste the URL address in the address bar at the top of the page. Hit the "enter" key or click the arrow next to the address bar if you have one, to open the new page. This page should tell you that your data has been removed.

10. If you go back and do a search for yourself, your data will probably still appear. The data should be gone after 24 hours, after they do their daily server updates.

11. Go back after a few days to make sure your data is gone.

Yep you can't stop these places especially if you use face book or any data sites like that this one is somewhat nastier just because they make it so easy and use phone listings as well as home ownership data etc. this should be more restricted but data is hard to control in todays open world. that said I still delete my data from any sites like this I become aware of. Blackie yep that's why I have several email accounts including one just for crap like this, they need to send a email link before you can request your name be removed so you have to use an account you can get a email from nothing else. At least now they have to remove your data if you request it but they can make it very hard to get your data out and if your data is published they can redo it so you have to keep track of these and purge data every once in a while.

I had never even heard of this site and somebody I went to school with looked me up on this site and contacted me, they had some data incorrect but address and phone numbers were correct on mine [angry]

Ugh! My wife who has eschewed so much as touching a computer has jumped right in because she can converse with our daughter and grandsons over seas. Just jumped right in, headfirst, off'n the high dive before checking the water level.

For the third time this week, she's been on some #(*&$ Publisher's Clearing House site. How often do you need to register for this cr@p? I KNOW they are just mining her for information. "Why do they need to know my phone number?" she asks. "They DON"T," I reply.... "don't give it to them." Thus far she hasn't bought anything.. I hope. I think she is registered, but they keep sending her emails making her think she needs to confirm..... then she gets into the registration loop. 6 pages later (8 full size ads to buy something per page), she's done, but she doesn't think she's done... [blink]

I really, really need my kids to have a sit-down with her on safe internetting... she won't listen to me.

If you have a spouse or parents / grandparents who intend to take the plunge into intenetting... make sure someone sits down and explains the facts of life to them about safe surfing... and that someone is probably wearing braces.

Archived