Gibson Brands Forums

Reality Check

GibsonAlmighty

We are all aware that Gibson Co. is in some sort of a mess right now.

Just want to ask everyone their opinion about our Gibson guitars.

What would you think will happen to our guitars (value wise) if the company

suddenly shuts down or file bankruptcy.

Some of us will say..that, oh, that will not gonna happen.

So....what if?

Will our guitar suddenly loose their value or the price will shoot up like a rocket?

Anyone?

I know I'm going to catch some flak for this but here goes: the only reason I buy guitars is to play them. I don't care about resale value, I don't care whether modding it will lower resale value. I want a guitar to sound the way I want, not so I can sell it later for a profit. A lot of things will have to happen for me to sell a guitar.

I know this is what people will say: Well, you're young, and guitars change and so forth, but the guitars I have, I may mod, but won't sell.

I'm with ya Shred, just play the damn things, that's what they are there for.

What would you think will happen to our guitars (value wise) if the company

suddenly shuts down or file bankruptcy.

I don't really care about the value of my Gibson's in moneitary terms. I use them as tools to make music. They will still be just as good for making music if the Company goes under as they are now. I don't buy them as any kind of financial investment, but I buy them because i like the sound they make. If they go up or down in value it will make no difference to me as I will never sell them.

I don't care about resale value' date=' I don't care whether modding it will lower resale value. [/quote']

That's because you've never purchased any expensive ones.

You might indeed change your mind after you put 3 grand or more in a couple of them...

[biggrin]

I've sold dozens of guitars over the years.

Wish I had kept a few of them - including two of the Gibsons.

The resale value doesn't matter to me, it's the purchase price I look at.

If new production stopped tomorrow, I would expect prices to start creeping up on the popular ones.

When it comes time to sell, I decide what it takes for me to let one go.

If the market is out there, and somebody gives me the cash, then it's gone.

If not, I keep it until the money comes along.

Had trouble moving a couple of guitars I thought would have sold quick, even at a steal of a price.

Only made money on a couple of them over the years, it's not easy to do.

Guitars as investments should be regarded the same as any investment. There is no guarantee you will make a profit even though that is why you made the investment. Also as it is with most new products, they lose some value just because they are "used". I see it in a way similar to classic cars. In many cases you don't want to drive it because you lose value. Much of the fun and real purpose is gone. Good guitars should be played.

I never intend to sell any of my guitars unless faced with financial ruin; I bought them because I love playing them. But I gotta admit that I do get a certain amount of pleasure when I see the same guitar selling for much more than I paid for it new.

My only Gibson I bought cuz I have wanted it since I was 13. God willing, I will never sell it. I imagine if Gibson goes under tomorrow, the prices on ebay will soar pretty darn quickly. I should try and get that Black LP custom before it happens.

I never intend to sell any of my guitars unless faced with financial ruin; I bought them because I love playing them. But I gotta admit that I do get a certain amount of pleasure when I see the same guitar selling for much more than I paid for it new.

The same goes for me.

Archived