Gibson Brands Forums

You're kidding me...

Silenced Fred

I gave them just a quick listen (Stairway was an especially quick listen because I've heard that songs like 10,000 times already and I could die happy tomorrow if I never heard it again) but I think it's good. I really dug her take on Whole Lotta Love - she basically stuck to the original arrangement but added a hip-hop/reggae groove to it that I think is very cool.

People will get up in arms about how playing a Zeppelin song in any way that isn't true to the original is sacrilege but, if I wanted to listen to the original version, I'd stay home and listen to the original. Kudos to Mary J. for having the balls to take on some classics and putting her own stamp on them.

I gave them just a quick listen (Stairway was an especially quick listen because I've heard that songs like 10' date='000 times already and I could die happy tomorrow if I never heard it again) but I think it's good. I really dug her take on [i']Whole Lotta Love[/i] - she basically stuck to the original arrangement but added a hip-hop/reggae groove to it that I think is very cool.

People will get up in arms about how playing a Zeppelin song in any way that isn't true to the original is sacrilege but, if I wanted to listen to the original version, I'd stay home and listen to the original. Kudos to Mary J. for having the balls to take on some classics and putting her own stamp on them.

+several!

I doubt if ol' Muddy would have considered "Whole lotta love" the "original" anyway. LOL! Part of the tradition of Blues is the handing down from one generation to another.

They were ok I thought' date=' but i wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them again. Sorry, Zeppelin is ZEPPELIN.[/quote']

See this is my sticking point. Zeppelin is Zeppelin! I understand why she did it, and I don't hate her for doing it, I just don't like it

I guess that is how a lot of blues/folks fans felt about those songs that Zeppelin remade back in the 70's.

Funny isn't it?

I guess. The more I think about it, its one of those things where initially it seems like a terrible idea. It will probably grow on me. I don't know

I guess. The more I think about it' date=' its one of those things where initially it seems like a terrible idea. It will probably grow on me. I don't know[/quote']

So you plan to listen to her a whole lot?

My wife has the Cheryl Crow CD where she covered Sweet Child o'Mine...I don't listen to it, there is no need.

I thought the song was ok and done well until the lead orianthi's shred version

just didn't sound right. I would rather listen to Duane V and his daughters version.

That said I didn't listen to her music before and this didn't get me to want to listen to

her in the future. Just not the type I like even when done well.

CW

I guess I really just don't get it, musically. I don't like what she's done to them--forget that they don't sound like the originals, I wouldn't have expected them to and I don't care that they don't. What I mean is that I dislike, stylistically, what she's done, on the basis that it's not what I care for stylistically. It's that there's too much "hip-hop/contemporary R&B" in it for me to really enjoy it--and it has nothing to do with the fact that they're covers, or that they're covers of songs that I like and am familiar with. It's not narrow-mindedness, it's purely that I didn't enjoy them. No hate towards her for trying--they're different interpretations and she's still an artist, it's still music and there are definitely bound to be plenty of people who like it. I'm just not one of them. Also I can't help but feel that it's more of a demographic-seeking decision than an artistic decision, which is why I've hesitated to really call it creative--because I just get the impression that these tracks were tooled for marketing purposes. Mary's marketed as "branching out" and getting "back in touch" with surmised "rock and blues" roots, and Zeppelin's still very big several decades after the fact, so why the hell not? Sorry, that's just me. Can't trust an artist as making "art" these days if they're as mainstream-pop as Mary J. Blige. I might be wrong, and she may be sincerely covering these songs out of love for the music--in that case the matter still stands that I don't like these covers.

I mean, hell, my brother, who lives under a rock and doesn't follow mainstream music, knows who she is.

Sorry, but I think Mary J. Blige is one of the most Overrated Vocalist of our time, she barely has one octave, and there's very little timbre in her voice. No Power whatsoever, she gets horse when she tries to get Soulful. Now she's trying to make Stairway to Heaven "Better". GTF Outa Here.

Archived