Gibson Brands Forums

Met anyone famous?

jimmiJAMM

Road Amtrak from Normal, Il to Dallas, Tx. with Michael Martin Murphy.

Caught up with him again after the week-end on the return trip. Roomed right across the hall / gally from him on the sleeper car.

He heard my Bluegrass music playing on my CD player and we struck up a conversation. we talked for about a half hour in the lower vestibule between the fire extinguisher and the showers.

He was very meticulous. He boarded the train with just his guitar. Put her in the top bunk, just so. Then he went back to the loading dock for the rest of his luggage.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leon Wilkeson (bassist of Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Billy Powell (keyboardist of Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Michael Angelo Batio

Larry Carlton

Robben Ford

Lincoln Brewster

Jeremy Redmon

Jars of Clay band

Tony Kaye (first keyboardist of YES)

Jeff Golub

Nathan East

Bob James

In the late '70s a good buddy of mine was in the music business. He was good friends with Hiram Bullock. At the time, Hiram was doing mostly studio work in NY and touring with David Sanborn. We partied with Hiram on that tour. I took a trip to NY and met up with Hiram in a bar in Soho. Hiram introduced me to Pat Metheny and Jaco Pastorius, and I sat at a table and drank beer with those guys for an evening.

Had back stage passes and partied with the Doobie Brothers at their hotel after a couple of concerts.

Had back stage passes at a Leon Russell concert, but he left right after the concert. Partied with the band.

What store was this?

I was all over Houston in the nineties.

Were you at Big Tex Guitars or a different shop?

Rockin' Robin. Big Tex Guitars is not releated' date=' other than the guy doing Big Tex used to work at the store with me. And I don't work for Big Tex either.......not building guitars anyway. I [i']do[/i] work on the Big Tex website.

Morrison was actually a little obnoxious and arrogant. But quite often the wildly creative are. Janis was a sweetheart' date=' though.[/quote']

I never met Morrison, but I worked with Janice a bit. She may have been "a sweetheart", but seems more like an obnoxious drunk to me.

After many, MANY years, some of my old bandmates got back together for dinner in 2007. We were talking about "old times", and the story of Janice digging her nasty, filthy fingers into a cake the dance promoter got for us to celebrate the release of our 45...we ALL remembered it, but we all remembered it differently!

A Pic from that night:

OnStage.jpg?t=1271970188

Richie Havens--one of the sweetest' date=' nicest, most humble people I've ever met.

Almost met Tom Paxton, Steve Adelson (Chapman Stick player) and Sonny Landreth. Didn't happen in any of the cases.[/quote']

Ooh, the Chapman Stick. Really cool instrument. There once was an old guy named Kane who played one in the Fisherman's Wharf area of SF. And I have a CD of a guy who calls himself Michael K who plays one. Cool stuff.

I never met Morrison, but I worked with Janice a bit. She may have been "a sweetheart", but seems more like an obnoxious drunk to me.

After many, MANY years, some of my old bandmates got back together for dinner in 2007. We were talking about "old times", and the story of Janice digging her nasty, filthy fingers into a cake the dance promoter got for us to celebrate the release of our 45...we ALL remembered it, but we all remembered it differently!

I met her in '66 maybe before things got too out of hand. Many of the "stars" of the time lived life to an excess because they could.

Hmmm...

Joe Pass (he bought me a drink in Toronto in 1980 & my boyfriend almost fainted)

Jean-Luc Ponty (same place, different day...didn't buy me a drink)

Rick Danko (bought me a couple of drinks, different place)

...and I met Luther Vandross, Sly Stallone & Oprah while working in prisons.

Some pro womens basketball (ABL) players when they had a team in Philly PA-Dawn Staley, Taj Mcwilliams, and my all time favorite point guard-Michelle Marciniak (I followed her career when she played highschool ball and when she went to U of T, did not follow when she briefly played for Notre Dame).

I have met some tv and movie actors and actresses-Sharon Gless passing in the airport, as well as some others

I have met the queen of 3 chord rock and roll and cover songs-Joan Jett when she was little and lived in Collingdale PA.

Worked on BBC2 show called Later with Jools Holland...had a 'supergroup' on ...Paul Mcartney, guy from Mott the Hoople...and Dave Gilmour from Pink Floyd..got autographs from them all....

Gilmour was a star....drew some funky dung on my Atom Heart Mother lp....

Macca was a tw*t....

He was very un Liverpool sounding with his accent ....until he went on camera....that and all the minders etc....he did sign my Beatles at the BBC though...so should be worth a few bob when he pops his clogs...[biggrin]

Gilmour was very relaxed...and is a guitar god imo.....

Macca is a top bass player though....never really gets enough credit for that....and genius songwriter too....so I'll let him off...

He was very un Liverpool sounding with his accent ....until he went on camera....that and all the minders etc....he did sign my Beatles at the BBC though...so should be worth a few bob when he pops his clogs...[biggrin]

Maybe he's gotten so used to being that way since the Beatle days that he just automatically goes into Liverpudlian mode whenever there's a camera shoved in front of him. Just a thought!

I met her in '66 maybe before things got too out of hand. Many of the "stars" of the time lived life to an excess because they could.

I think she was worse in the beginning, and got to be a better and better person over the years, (albeit her drug/alcohol problems).

She certainly wasn't rude to anyone that I saw, just obnoxious....and dirty, (fingernails, hair, clothes, etc.).

Her talent was undeniable!

Met some and forgot some but the one that stands out was Porter Waggoner in a Nashville Waffle House. One could tell he was fidgeting hoping no one would recognize him. He finally got so fidgety that he hid behind a newspaper. I barely recognized him, no flashy country blazer as was his signature performance attire. He kept looking at me looking at his jeep and when I would return the look, he would glance away and return. I was really no fan but had to mess with him. I finished my meal and walked towards the door, stopping at his table. He glanced up and I whispered... "have you ever been told you look just like the infamous country legend Porter Waggoner?" He smiled and said, yep, a few times. Then I said, you know, it must be tough being a star... not being able to go out and eat a simple breakfast without someone messing with you. Makes you glad we are just some of the regular folks that take that for granted. He understood and appreciated the subtle recognition offering the reply - yep - but fan recognition is the price you pay. I bet he is grateful for fans like you who understand. I wished him a great day and ask him if that beat up ol jeep was for sale. He said no, it is part of my disguise. Very clever. (No one in there gave him a second look when he drove up in that ol ratty jeep, got out in his overalls and flannel shirt with a ball cap on.) I said dang and went on my way. He watched me stop by his jeep, glancing back at him. He waved and I smiled back, got in my car and left. Just a good man trying to live. He was in his prime so to speak at that time. Had a tv show etc.

Another was John Travolta. He was doing a book signing at the place that I worked (Sam's Club). We were back in receiving just having a casual conversation before the chaos. It was like talking to a close friend. No big head, just a regular guy. His "group" though were a-holes, but he called them off. Met several others through that company like Brooks and Dunn, Toby Keith (that guy is a giant in size but very good natured), and many others.

The biggest a-hole that thought his sh*t didn't stink was "Whispering Bill" Anderson. A wanna be country sanger. I was running a Po Folks Restaurant franchise. We were grand opening a new restaurant in Hoover Alabama. It was the end of the lunch rush so I made me a plate and sat down. I always cleaned up the left overs so to speak. Bill came prancing in the kitchen. (He was a visiting franchisee invited to observe the grand opening.) We just set a grand opening record that was never beat for the highest grand opening weeks sales. He just made himself at home - getting a bowl of turnip greens and some cornbread. I knew that pot was empty but a full pot was next to it. He sat down and proceeded to tell me that my food was sub par that the greens were more juice than greens. Just being rude and obnoxious regarding the opening week - saying what we could have done better etc. After listening to his crapola, knowing we did an excellent job - I had enough and got my ars in trouble. I said "why didn't you just get some greens out of the pot next to it that was full and ready to serve? No wonder you are a wannbe country singer. Next time pick up a menu and we will show you how it's done big bill. Who the hell do you think you are coming in here not knowing sh*t - the dishwasher was full so the pot was left on the stove. Leave the operations to us that know and try to sing a decent song, will ya?" I got up and left his honor sitting there with his little preppies. I told my franchise owner what had happened and went home for a nap. Needless to say, apparently the Po Folks corp office ask my franchise owner to keep us separated. The VP that hired me sh*t his pants when he heard the news and shipped me back to Ga. The owner called me up at home and ask me to meet him in Columbus Ga. I just knew that my butt was fired, but why make me drive 150 miles to do it? He even had me meet him in another restaurant. Well, in walks the owner and his legal secretary. Now I was really sweating. He sat down and to make this long story short - gave me the VP's Ga. franchise territory, gave me an equity position in the company and proceeded to tell me what a great job I did in making the grand opening a success. Then he said he would have done the same thing to Bill - he even ask him to leave after the VP sent me home. I loved it. Sorry for the rambling on, but I just dislike those that think they are great but really suck. Plus, the story had a happy ending. [lol]

Met some and forgot some but the one that stands out was Porter Waggoner in a Nashville Waffle House. One could tell he was fidgeting hoping no one would recognize him. He finally got so fidgety that he hid behind a newspaper. I barely recognized him' date=' no flashy country blazer as was his signature performance attire. He kept looking at me looking at his jeep and when I would return the look, he would glance away and return. I was really no fan but had to mess with him. I finished my meal and walked towards the door, stopping at his table. He glanced up and I whispered... "have you ever been told you look just like the infamous country legend Porter Waggoner?" He smiled and said, yep, a few times. Then I said, you know, it must be tough being a star... not being able to go out and eat a simple breakfast without someone messing with you. Makes you glad we are just some of the regular folks that take that for granted. He understood and appreciated the subtle recognition offering the reply - yep - but fan recognition is the price you pay. I bet he is grateful for fans like you who understand. I wished him a great day and ask him if that beat up ol jeep was for sale. He said no, it is part of my disguise. Very clever. (No one in there gave him a second look when he drove up in that ol ratty jeep, got out in his overalls and flannel shirt with a ball cap on.) I said dang and went on my way. He watched me stop by his jeep, glancing back at him. He waved and I smiled back, got in my car and left. Just a good man trying to live. He was in his prime so to speak at that time. Had a tv show etc.

[/quote']

I'm surprised that everyone didn't notice Porter 'cause of the mammary gland imprints on his forehead!!

Archived