Gibson Brands Forums

Smashing Guitars

thelady

I gotta admit that whenever I've seen Pete Townsend smash a guitar I always think "Look at that little fairy. He couldn't whip my little sister but I guess he thinks he's a tough guy smashing up that perfectly good guitar."

I'd cringe when he's smash those '60's sgs.

I did a long time ago. I was really pissed at my 1st. wife. It was a really cheap Ovation, a $100.00 special. Maybe in the mid to late '70s. Got her out of my life to, a few years later.Not to bright about the guitar , but the best thing i did in my life up to that point.(the Ex-wife)

Even if money was no object, I would never smash anything I own. Back in the 60's I use to watch The Who, Pete Townsend smash a perfectly great guitar and wonder why couldn't he just give to me or someone else who could use a new guitar. I never considered smashing equipment to be entertaining only wasteful.

Kenny V

It was an accident. I have an 80s Kramer that has been through 3 different necks. I was playing it w/ neck #3 and the jack was fxcked up and instead of calmly setting it down and assessing the problem, I threw it down on the floor and the headstock snapped clean off. I put neck #2 back on which is not a great fit. I soldered on a new jack. I am watching ebay for an exact replacement of neck #1 rather than one w/ the same measurements. Yeah, it's been about 5 years since that guitar has been fully functional. [thumbup] It was my first electric.

I've NEVER damaged (much less destroyed) any of my guitars, on purpose. In fact, I'm much to "precious,"

about them, to even consider the possibility. I've never had "disposable" income, for one thing...so, beating up

or destroying what took me fair amount of work, time, and money, to acquire....would be (to me), total insanity!

And..."I Ain't Crazy!" ;>)

CB

One time I was in a REAL bad mood and we were playing a show I didn't want to be playing and one of the band members canceled at the last minute to "go to Florida with my parents for vacation" so I ended up playing and singing (which I SUCK at) so by the third song the audience of like 75 people were just sitting there staring at us dumb-foundedly, absolutely no reaction, stone cold, dead fish, you know? So the 4th song starts up and it's just drum and bass in the intro and the drumer and bassist are playing two different songs, so I'm like "**** this" and I unstrap it and just flip my guitar out of my hands- head stock comes clean off and the pickups pull out and strip the screw holes; my guitar is now ****ed....and I've dropped it on accident like a hundred times with no incident with nothing happening; I'm not sure what I expected to happen...I was just fed up.

Then the worst part is I storm off stage like a lil ***** then 5 or 10 minutes later I have to go back out with my tail between my legs and break down my gear cuz we didn't have roadies or techs (obviously if we were that unprofessional and immature)

But it was my first guitar and I loved it and I'll never mistreat a guitar again. I've regretted it every day since. The only other guitar I had was like a Hondo explorer copy or some B.S. like that. Never again. Don't do it! It's not worth it!

GuitarSmash-25.jpg

I keep thinking that if I tilt my monitor the correct way I'll be able to read the headstock:(

I'll just have to tell myself that it's an ESP Eclipse (or whatever the LP copy is..) so I can sleep at night.

Looks like the bridge already came off that guitar or something? There's still strings up by his hand, so maybe it took em 2 swings? What a *****. What a waste.

I keep thinking that if I tilt my monitor the correct way I'll be able to read the headstock:(

I'll just have to tell myself that it's an ESP Eclipse (or whatever the LP copy is..) so I can sleep at night.

Looks like the bridge already came off that guitar or something? There's still strings up by his hand' date=' so maybe it took em 2 swings? What a *****. What a waste.[/quote']

This actually puts an ache in my gut. You can almost see the 'G' on the headstock.

What a ******. The single-biggest reason I could not warm up to the Who was the guitar smashing.

Archived