Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for best beginners amp <=$200 for Epi Les Paul Limited Edition Studio Deluxe?

Cronie

I'm a new player and dont really have a "style" per se, so I'm looking for some help trying to find the perfect beginners amp to suite my style of music.

First off. The Studio is exactly what I wanted especially this model. Real inlays, upgraded pickups, solid body, clean look all for $298 (got a great deal new)

Anyway, I'm looking to play rock and blues. Heavy metal, epics, classic rock stuff mainly but the Blues sound and style has always captivated me and I'll definitely want to get into it so this guitar really works for me.

I know the Pauls inherently have a warm sound to them so I'm looking for something that will give me range.

I appreciate quality and I appreciate mastering the basics, especially sound wise. I'd rather give up on a couple of features for a high quality beginners unit.

My criteria:

- Can't be over $200 (unless its close to it and its God's gift to man) I got the guitar as a gift from my fiance and I need a solid amp that will stand the test of time along with this guitar. I'm about to purchase our first home so money is REAL tight, I shouldnt even be doing this but I can't help it lol.

- Would like a built in tuner but its not neccessary, again, rather have solid basics then all the bells and whistles.

- Multiple channels, more the merrier.

Here are my choices, all widely researched and I like a little something about them all, just need help deciding which ( unless you feel this is something better not listed, although I have gone through other models not listed)

1. Line 6 Spider IV 15/30 - cheap company? This is feature rich but I'm weary about their lasting quality. I tried it and liked it. Priced right too.

2. Marshall MD15FX/30 - Its a Marshall, lots of documentation on the web, sounds great to me. Love the look. People says its plays a little warmer which I'm not sure would make well with a warm guitar.

3. Roland Cube 20X - All signs point to this amp being the best of the bunch. Seems like it does everything just right, but there isnt a lot of information on the web. I just know Roland is a high end company and what I've seen so far I liked.

4. VOX VT30 - Wild card. Not sure hot to properly take care of a Hybrid amp.

So as you can see I'm leaning heavily toward Solid State because of its ease of use and just how well they can sound. I searched for awhile on this site but couldn't find any direct answers or comparisons, so I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.

Hi Cronie,

welcome to the forum, congrats on getting an axe you love and good luck getting the right amp.

First thing that I would say is to go to you local guitar shop(s) and try out all the amps on your short list. Use the same guitar to try the amp as you have at home - or even take your own guitar in with you.....

Second thing is ...... and you have indicated you are wise to this already....don't be taken in by bells and whistles. It is human nature, when you have maybe 10 minutes in the shop, to like the amp with the most sounds you can get at the press of a button, or the most dramatic effects pre-sets, or whatever. From 30 years playing and buying experience I can guarantee that within days or weeks the novelty wears off and you realise that you don't really like many of the 101 sounds on offer and the pre-sets are way too extreme to use in a real musical setting. If you can get a good clean sound and a good crunch sound and a good lead sound you will have enough to get making some real guitar music. If you can get a good clean and a good crunch sound, but the lead sound is a bit lacking, you can always add an overdrive, distortion or fuzz pedal in a little time, for very little money... But there is not much you can ever do to get a good clean sound that is not there on the amp to start with.

I haven't tried all the amps on your list, but for what it's worth -

Marhall - my first amp in the early '80s was a Marshall 10w practice amp. It did the job just fine. I then had a beaten up Marshall 100w valve combo that sounded great and I now have a 3 channel 100w Marshall valve head and a 2 x 12 Marshall cab. I have never had anything but happiness with my Marshalls. Haven't tried the one you mention - but the reviews are good.

Line 6 - the sound quality on my Line 6 Pod 2 (used for home recording) is excellent for the price. It has worked perfectly from new, which must be about 7 or 8 years ago - and is more robust than it looks. The company is at the forefront of amp/cab digital modelling and the reviews are good.

Roland Cube - haven't played the most recent version - but have played various Cubes over the years. They have all been reliable and good sounding. They are pretty tough. To my ears, they lack the "oomph" of similar size/price Marshalls, but it depends on your style if that is a good or bad thing...

Vox VT30 - I have playe done of these. Seemed excellent value for money. Sounded really good.

But forget everything I said, get out there and try them with your own ears!!!

Good luck,

Manse

Hi Cronie' date='

welcome to the forum, congrats on getting an axe you love and good luck getting the right amp.

First thing that I would say is to go to you local guitar shop(s) and try out all the amps on your short list. Use the same guitar to try the amp as you have at home - or even take your own guitar in with you.....

Second thing is ...... and you have indicated you are wise to this already....don't be taken in by bells and whistles. It is human nature, when you have maybe 10 minutes in the shop, to like the amp with the most sounds you can get at the press of a button, or the most dramatic effects pre-sets, or whatever. From 30 years playing and buying experience I can guarantee that within days or weeks the novelty wears off and you realise that you don't really like many of the 101 sounds on offer and the pre-sets are way too extreme to use in a real musical setting. If you can get a good clean sound and a good crunch sound and a good lead sound you will have enough to get making some real guitar music. If you can get a good clean and a good crunch sound, but the lead sound is a bit lacking, you can always add an overdrive, distortion or fuzz pedal in a little time, for very little money... But there is not much you can ever do to get a good clean sound that is not there on the amp to start with.

I haven't tried all the amps on your list, but for what it's worth -

Marhall - my first amp in the early '80s was a Marshall 10w practice amp. It did the job just fine. I then had a beaten up Marshall 100w valve combo that sounded great and I now have a 3 channel 100w Marshall valve head and a 2 x 12 Marshall cab. I have never had anything but happiness with my Marshalls. Haven't tried the one you mention - but the reviews are good.

Line 6 - the sound quality on my Line 6 Pod 2 (used for home recording) is excellent for the price. It has worked perfectly from new, which must be about 7 or 8 years ago - and is more robust than it looks. The company is at the forefront of amp/cab digital modelling and the reviews are good.

Roland Cube - haven't played the most recent version - but have played various Cubes over the years. They have all been reliable and good sounding. They are pretty tough. To my ears, they lack the "oomph" of similar size/price Marshalls, but it depends on your style if that is a good or bad thing...

Vox VT30 - I have playe done of these. Seemed excellent value for money. Sounded really good.

But forget everything I said, get out there and try them with your own ears!!!

Good luck,

Manse[/quote']

Solid advice. At the end of the day, its what sounds best to you.

My first Amp was a VOX VT 30, which is still used by my girls. At this price point, its fantastic value. Solid state with a Valve pre Amp makes it a very versatile bit of kit. It has the most common effects as standard, so for a small starter Amp, this could be a good option for you.

Just a bit of advise. If you buy any of the above, you will most probably end up upgrading before long, as I did. Consider buying second hand and if you can push up your budget a little now, it will most probably save you money later, assuming you keep playing.

The tone you can get from something like the all valve Orange TT, will blow your mind. Try some out in a store, so you know what you can expect and when you are clear on what works for you, you can always look for a second-hand one after.

All the best and hope you find what your looking for.

Hi Cronie' date='

First thing that I would say is to go to you local guitar shop(s) and try out all the amps on your short list.

Second thing is ...... don't be taken in by bells and whistles. It is human nature, when you have maybe 10 minutes in the shop, to like the amp with the most sounds you can get at the press of a button, or the most dramatic effects pre-sets, or whatever. I can guarantee that within days or weeks the novelty wears off and you realise that you don't really like many of the 101 sounds on offer and the pre-sets are way too extreme to use in a real musical setting.

[/quote']

So true.

For heavy metal Id go line 6. My line 6 half stack (not tubed), can get an insane crunch (it's actually called "insane" on the amp setting, I believe) out of it.

I don't use the mid ranges though as they don't seem to have much gain at all. So I usually use the metal channel (les "power" than insane), and turn the drive down to get a more classic rock sound. The clean range is pretty good also.

Tubed would probably be better, but you wont get that cheap.

And yeah... My line 6 head came with like 250 pre-sets, but I don't use them. So manse is definitely right, don't go by that.

Thank you very much guys. I see theres a lot of love for the Vox so I'm going to a local shop soon to demo the VT30. I'll also look more in depth at their used stuff as well.

Any other suggestions would be appreicated. Thanks.

Hi Cronie, welcome. Even thinking about looking at few more? Since USA isn't the issue, maybe a Valve Jr. or barely bigger brother; modable ya know.

How small does Murph's Carvin go? I wonder. :-k

someone suggested it, but i also recommend the epiphone valve jr. great tube amp for under 200 (about 200 brand new, but i got mine from a previous owner for $100 even). great clean sound, and handles effects pedals very very well in my opinion.

I've been playing about 18months. After buying a LP Studio to get serious with playing, I got a Line 6 Spider version III. I have had no reliability problems with it and it is a excellent value for a hundred bucks. Took a while to learn but some of the features are fun to use such as reverb and delay (I typically use the clean setting but sometimes crunch, the metal and insane are not my cup of tea). One aspect that I have not enjoyed is that it is sometimes difficult to get a very clean tone out of it at least for me (maybe user error). After about a year though, I am looking for a change.

Recently, I have been looking at relatively inexpensive tube amps. An earlier poster suggested Vox ACTV and I am seriously considering picking one up. The 8 inch version sells for $200. To my ears, the Vox sounds much better than the Spider. With the Vox and you can adjust settings to get distortion out of it. In my view, both choices offer good value, its just a trade-off between sound quality and features.

Good luck.

Thanks doko.

I think I've eliminated Line 6 from my choices after some more research.

I'm really feeling the Marshall right now but still need to hear the Vox.

My only concern going all tube is their lifespan. I'm seeing a lot of reviews saying tubes go in as little as a year and usually run like 40+ bucks. Tone or no tone I cant be bothered with that, IF, those numbers are accurate. For this reason I'm currently leaning Solid State.

2006 Gibson Les Paul Std

2007 Gibson J-45 MC

2003 Epiphone SG wanabee

2004 Epiphone Dot

When I dont feel like lugging a 74 lb amp around I use a Epi Valve Jr combi-works fine and costs very little-I have had it for 4 years and still sounds ok for what it is-a learning tool-I got mine as part of the package deal on my Epi SG copy and it works fine

My only concern going all tube is their lifespan. I'm seeing a lot of reviews saying tubes go in as little as a year and usually run like 40+ bucks.

That sounds extremely short!

I've had my MM2x12 combo for a fraction over 30 years and I've only changed the valves once!

Perhaps for a gigging musician where the equipment gets a real hammering the valves will have a very short life but still...

Are you going to give your amp a real hammering out on the road?

Welcome and good luck with your choice.

Thanks doko.

I think I've eliminated Line 6 from my choices after some more research.

I'm really feeling the Marshall right now but still need to hear the Vox.

My only concern going all tube is their lifespan. I'm seeing a lot of reviews saying tubes go in as little as a year and usually run like 40+ bucks. Tone or no tone I cant be bothered with that' date=' IF, those numbers are accurate. For this reason I'm currently leaning Solid State. [/quote']

Its a good point, but you should consider how you treat your kit and how much you play. If you don`t give the tubes time to worm up before playing and your spending 3 nights a week on stage, then changing the tubes every year is most probably a requirement. But if you are playing an average of 30 minutes at home, with relatively low volume and looking after the tubes, you could go many years before they need changing.

For me, the tone you get from a valve amp makes is compelling, so no contest. Saying that, I have the cash, which makes this an option.

All I would say, is think long term. Investing in an amp you love now, may end up saying you money in the long run and motivate you to play more. If you buy a compromise now, you will most probable end up only replacing later.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

Thanks for all the replies again.

As of right now I still dont have my guitar, its arriving today however, very excited.

Based on everything I'm hearing and seeing its seems like I'm best off with the Vox or Roland.

Lost of people are bashing the Marshall as low end Chinese junk which doesnt have the "real" Marshall sound. I however like the way it sound at least on the Marshall website, which could be processed through that mic they're using making it sound better. Obviously a demo is needed but if its hated on that much I probably would be better off with everyones other suggestions since it probably isnt the best way to get a Marshall. Just thought it would look cool in the den next to my guitar and sound pretty good.

Gonna try these amps ASAP and get back to you guys. Thanks again.

Just picked up an Orange Crush PiX 35w amp and its pretty nice. Looks amazing great soul sound, cant seem to dial in highs well though.

Very little information is available on these amps, especially the new ones but supposedly they're bass-y and thick by nature.

Being a noob I'm not sure if there is a pedal to help give me screaming highs. I know amps take forever to dial in and I need ALOT more time but I'm wondering if I'd be better off going Fender with a distortion pedal rather then trying to put better highs/cleans on this one.

Really love the amp and how its built but want all the sounds I desire.

Okay.... From an old guy's perspective from the olden days when tube was all you could get...

I think I'd recommend a quality but plain solid state amp with a larger speaker and more volume for the money. I'd never, ever, buy an amp with an 8-inch speaker for anything more serious than home practice or some arcane recording project.

1. Unlike the tube amps, there's less to break on a 10-12-inch speaker 30-60 watt solid state piece, and for loudness, you're probably also talking less weight.

2. Features both cost money and may not always work. A cupla channels, a bit of eq, perhaps a bit of reverb and/or chorus will get enough noise out for you and has less to go wrong.

3. A plain amp offers more personalized upgrades. Nothing against Line 6 - I'd buy one myself if I needed a mid-size amp - but I figure you can spend your $200 on power now and add effects later. It's also the old modular argument in that if effects die, the amp still works and if the amp dies, the effects still works.

4. An inexpensive solid state with no less than a decent 10" speaker and good "cleans" can be used in small gig, practice or home practice even with drums or whatever and hold its own; not necessarily so a $200 tube or fancied up amp.

Yeah, I put my own money where my mouth is with a similar budget. I got a Kustom acoustic amp that lets me use a mike and a guitar and is quite loud. I later added a multi-effect box that adds stuff I'm most likely to want. The whole rig is on wheels ready to plug and play. My big old wonderful tube monster sits in the house.

m

IMG00178-20100430-2319.jpg?t=1272684646

Sorry, didnt feel like taking out the d40 so this grainy pic will have to do for now. I should be ashamed for not posting high res because this guitar is absolutely drop dead sexy but its dark and wouldnt turn out great. I'll take better ones later.

Try as many as you can and don't be afraid of Tube amps they last a lot longer than a year without having to replace tubes especially if your a casual player. this is a great time to be amp shopping with all the choices and option, size really isn't everything when amp shopping make sure it fit's the need. I've seen a lot of people spend a fortune on 100 watt stacks that never turn them up past 2 or 3.

lot's of choices out there.

IMG_0440.jpg

Archived