Gibson Brands Forums

Brad Paisley J-45

larryp58

Yes, another Signature model from Bozeman. A very nice looking guitar, (which spurred some questions on this Forum a while back when it was spotted in one of his recent videos). Well, I clicked on the info button on the Gibson website for this new creation. Priced as you would expect, a little high, IMHO. But I was most impressed by the little video of Brad explaining his history of guitar-playing and his "love" for Gibson acoustics. What he hopes this model will do for new guitar players and for acoustic music. He seems to be a very nice and sincere person, which is sometimes very hard to find in the music industry/profession. I was, to say the least, very impressed. Take a moment and check it out. Hats off to ya, Brad! And if you read this Forum, you can send me one of those purty guitars!

At the end of the day, it doesn't a matter a lick, but its somewhat disappointing that Gibson sigs tended to be either dead icons (Woody, R_Johnson. Buddy Holly) or up and comers who (imho) aren't really connected to the brand in a meaningful way. Of course, a lot of long time Gibson loyalists, (Jorma K, Norman Blake, Paul Geremia, Russ Barrenberg, Steve James, Gilly Welch) don't move a lot of units.

At the end of the day' date=' it doesn't a matter a lick, but its somewhat disappointing that Gibson sigs tended to be either dead icons (Woody, R_Johnson. Buddy Holly) or up and comers who (imho) aren't really connected to the brand in a meaningful way. Of course, a lot of long time Gibson loyalists, (Jorma K, Norman Blake, Paul Geremia, Russ Barrenberg, Steve James, Gilly Welch) don't move a lot of units.[/quote']

I'm not a fan, but Brad Paisley is hardly a newcomer.

I also have to disagree, in that John Hiatt, Dwight Yoakam, Elvis Costello, Pete Townshend, Sheryl Crow, Emmylou Harris and Kris Kristofferson are significant icons who are quite alive. Add to that Keb Mo, Randy Scruggs and Arlo Guthrie, and that's not a bad lineup.

In fact, Elvis, John Lennon and Woody Guthrie are the only dead artists who have namesake Gibson models. I'm not sure what the issue is.

BK-- Pete, Crow and Ms. Emmy= +1. Hiatt, I guess (off my radar). Yoakam, Costello, Kris and Arlo G have been around, sure, but, in Gibson terms, are just passing through (career-wise, all play Martins, mostly). Paisley should be hawking for Fender. Keb Mo? he sleeps around (had a Martin sig and was profiled in AG with a Nat'l). So outside of 1-3 (4), are any of these guys (however wonderful otherwise) connected with Gibson enough to make them sig-worhty, other than having name identity /record (oops, CD) sales? Not that Gibson is unique in this regard. **** Boak is an active recruiter over at Martin and Fender is know to have 1 or 2. Cheers, j

BK-- Pete' date=' Crow and Ms. Emmy= +1. Hiatt, I guess (off my radar). Yoakam, Costello, Kris and Arlo G have been around, sure, but, in Gibson terms, are just passing through (career-wise, all play Martins, mostly). Paisley should be hawking for Fender. Keb Mo? he sleeps around (had a Martin sig and was profiled in AG with a Nat'l). So outside of 1-3 (4), are any of these guys (however wonderful otherwise) connected with Gibson enough to make them sig-worhty, other than having name identity /record (oops, CD) sales? Not that Gibson is unique in this regard. **** Boak is an active recruiter over at Martin and Fender is know to have 1 or 2. Cheers, j[/quote']

I don't know about that. I've seen Dwight with mainly Gibsons. Which isn't to say he doesn't have some Martins and love to play them. Fact is, 99% of us here have guitars other than Gibsons, and I'm pretty sure musicians who have even more resources than we do will have a lot of brands as well. If you're looking for a well-established artist who only plays Gibson - or even plays Gibsons say 75% of the time - I think you'll have a very, very short list.

Check this:

Logo

A pre-War Gibson logo is inlaid in mother-of-pearl across the top of a traditional advanced jumbo-style headstock, accompanied by a mother-of-pearl “banner” emblem across the center of the headstock’s face.

Looking at picture it's screened on, not MoP. It looks like a J45TV in a lot of ways.

Link to J45 Details

... A pre-War Gibson logo is inlaid in mother-of-pearl across the top of a traditional advanced jumbo-style headstock' date=' accompanied by a mother-of-pearl “banner” emblem across the center of the headstock’s face. Looking at picture it's screened on, not MoP. It looks like a J45TV in a lot of ways ...[/quote']

Yes, strange.

Still, a really nice looking guitar. But the price of this sig, and a lot of the other ones, is too high.

"If you're looking for a well-established artist who only plays Gibson - or even plays Gibsons say 75% of the time"

Well, that's the point. If they arent closely identified with a particular guitar, why stick their name on it?

I'm indifferent to artist signatire models from any manufacturer, Gibson or otherwise. It all smacks of too much hero worship to me. But, on the subject of the guitar, the headstock logo and banner do not appear to be MOP on Gibson's site nor in the Paisley video posted..........looks like the gold decals to my eye. Yes?

I saw that the nut width is 1.625". May turn some people off. Also, on the subject of who Gibson picks for sig models. Elvis Costello has been playing that old J-50 for a long time and that's the guitar I associate him with. They should have done a sig J-50 instead of the L-Century that he lost one in a flood 30 years ago. Oh...and I'm surprised BP's J-45 doesn't have a "paisley" finish like some of his teles. It wouldn't have surprised me coming from Gibson.

Elvis C! Hey all, thought I would chime in on Mr. Costello. I just saw him Monday night in Atlanta and have not had time to post a few cell phone pics that show off quite well his Gibson array. At the show he played only Gibbys until he broke an "A" string on (geez getting old) if memory serves me it was the J50 but could have been the J160e. Afterwards he played a Martin for one song and then back to the Gibsons.

The show was amazing, with Jim Lauderdale, and Jerry Douglas weaving tasty threads throughout. Alison with dobro and fiddle! And a superb take on Deliveryman to name just a few.

As for the Century, he played that sparingly returning most often to the J50 and the J160.

I will try to get the pics on here over the weekend.

I'm going on record now....that even if Gibson approaches me to do a signature guitar of my own' date=' I will respectfully decline. [/quote']

If they build it anyway and you still don't want it, I may be willing to take the prototype, depending on what it is...

Believing in and purchasing everything endorsed by celebrities is the key to happiness --- wish I didn't have such nice skin, I'd love to get the Jessica Simpson infomercial facial cream, but alas, I don't need it [cool]

BK-- Pete' date=' Crow and Ms. Emmy= +1. Hiatt, I guess (off my radar). Yoakam, Costello, Kris and Arlo G have been around, sure, but, in Gibson terms, are just passing through (career-wise, all play Martins, mostly). [/quote']

Elvis Costello has a small flotilla of Gibsons. He uses his battered J160E a lot of the time, an old J50, his own sig model, a J45, an L5, and numerous electrics. He does of course, use other brand instrumrents, but he's a big as Gibson guy as anyone, I'd say.

Red 333

You can have him' date=' but you'll probably have to go through this lady:[/quote']

Ooooo, there's a good looking couple. Actually, I think I knew he was spoken for already? It seems to me she starred in his fishing video, which means she's not just beautiful, but she's a good sport too!

Elvis Costello has a small flotilla of Gibsons. Red 333

Thanks Red' date=' will file that in the lore (only acoustic pics/vid Ive seen of him were with 00028s). Btw, I dont want to drag this out but nowhere did I say a player had to play [i']only[/i] Gibsons to be sig-worthy. Just to be identified with the brand in a sigifcant way. As far as Brad's concerened, good luck to him. Cheers, J

Archived