Gibson Brands Forums

Academic Research being conducted about Gibson SG

UTPA guy

Hello SG Enthusiasts,

I am a PhD student and researcher at The University of Texas - Pan American conducting academic research that includes Gibson SG guitars. In the interest of academic research integrity, I am informing you, SG enthusiasts that I am reviewing information posted on this site for research purposes. If you do not wish for any of your posts to be included in my research, please send me a message. Please note that I will not directly refer to any posts in my research without first getting permission of the individual who created the post.

I am in no way affiliated with Gibson Guitar, and I am not conducting market research on their behalf, or anyone's behalf. This summer, I may have a questionnaire that will be housed on a secure website that will be used to collect perceptions on a few aspects of Gibson SG.

In case you're wondering, I am a pretty mediocre... okay lame musician, but my brother and nephew are both excellent musicians and both huge SG fans.

I can be reached via e-mail at pgbarretta@broncs.utpa.edu.

All communications directly to me via message will remain completely confidential.

Thank you.

...........No I am sorry I have a cease and desist order against "UTPA guy" and any known or unknown affiliates.

....You are hearby warned that all posts on this board are not for any commercial or research survey.........you must cease and desist from any

activity of the aforementioned,,,,,,,,........now if you would like to be a member and gain some knowledge that would be .....maybe ok....

Integrity goes before all else. I am not sure if you speak for the entire board or yourself, but I will be sure to exclude all posts from your user. I have already contacted one member about one particular text that I will only take into consideration with his/her permission.

With all that said, as I wrote in my initial post I am not much of a musician -- though put me behind a piano and it won't be horrible... and I played a mean trumpet in my younger days with a lean toward jazz.

I will get a pic of my brother's SG to post... as I know everyone here can relate to, he'd never pass up an opportunity to show off his SG.

At any rate, I really am here to gather knowledge, for the purpose of accuracy. It will only be a very unique and rare event that I would quote anyone, and when I do so it will be with permission of that person.

Thank you,

- Paul

Also wanted to add there is absolutely no commercial aspect to my research. It is purely academic research, which would contribute to my dissertation, and (hopefully) research submitted to an academic journal or conference. Complete confidentiality is maintained in both possiblities.

I've already e-mailed my brother for a pic of his SG.

WARNING: YOU MAY NOT USE MY NAME, LIKENESS OR OPINIONS WITHIN THIS OFFICIAL GIBSON FORUM WITHOUT MY WRITTEN CONSENT OR I WILL IMMEDIATELY PROCEED WITH LEGAL ACTION AGAINST YOU AND THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS - PAN AMERICAN. YOU HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED. 5.2.10 CODE:552377121

Thanks all. Not to worry, Neo I will not be using anyone's likeness, nor anyone's words without permission. And no, you're not lab rats -- You are all passionate Gibson owners.

Seriously, there may be an on-line survey which you will all be free to take and pass around to friends and fellow musicians. But that's a little ways off, probably some time this summer. The survey will only have Gibson SG as a basis for a couple of "what if" questions. Surveys are always housed on a secure website, and the information is 100% confidential... but I'm getting ahead of myself now [biggrin]

hmmm, what to say about the sg other than it being THE BEST GUITAR IN THE WORLD! [cool] though i think that the 60's models did have better 'woman' lines (yes, that's what i call them) i prefer the 50's neck better, but that said i have never played and early sg model 0___0.

You can use what ever i say on this forum as i really don't care what people think about me :D p.s one of the "what if" questions should be, "what if gibson re-introduced the gibson sg tv junior?" sorry i really love that model of the sg [biggrin]

Good luck on this research thing bru!

you can use any of my posts just remember give me credit when you write a book or something and tell us were to look to see your final analysis.

GB

Yeah, UTPA guy, when you do finally publish your dissertation, do let us know where we will be able to access it. I'm sure most of us will still be around and would be interested in your study.

Good luck.

I'm just trying to figure out why one might want to be specific about the SG and/or SG type (which I have and love). Is this "as opposed to other types/shapes of guitar?"

Is it a psych study to see why one might which this particular shape/style?

Has it more to do with the aesthetic of the physical appearance of the instrument?

Or has it to do more with "did you buy this because your particular guitar hero plays one like it?"

Hmmmmm.

m

Also wanted to add there is absolutely no commercial aspect to my research. It is purely academic research' date=' which would contribute to my dissertation, and (hopefully) research submitted to an academic journal or conference. Complete confidentiality is maintained in both possiblities.

I've already e-mailed my brother for a pic of his SG. [/quote']

Hi UTPA guy.

I'm warning you up front- be careful about using any information you get from any of us. Most of us don't know our asses from a hole in the ground.

Seriously.

Tulsa...

That's not at all true.

My donkey is a mammal, four legged and walks and runs. A hole in the ground is something he very carefully evades so he won't trip and fall.

It's guitars we don't know beans about.

<chortle>

m

Archived