Gibson Brands Forums

Complaints.

LarryUK

I've only just recently joined this forum. Do Gibson themselves 'read' these posts? I've seen on this and other forums, lots of complaints about the quality of the new Les Pauls. If these complaints are 'founded' shouldn't Gibson reply on this forum? I use some other forums (mobile phones, tv's etc) that get feedback directly from the support team within the posts. ie. If someone is unhappy about a guitar the support team should reply directly on the forum. That way a problem can be acknowleged by Gibson to avoid 'hearsay'. The tittle tattle that I read about whether a paint finish is right or wrong or a guitar is vintage enough is rubbish. If you want a 59 Les Paul....Hard luck. You can't afford one. In that case Gibson should make a 59 copy that is 'true to the year and spec. Not a special just because some star plays it.

As I put in another thread.

There should be a Standard, Custom etc in a choice of finishes. Plastic inlays and all of the other things that get moaned about included.At a PRICE the general public can afford.

Then, the Custom Shop where if you want a 59 Les Paul or a 52 Gold Top. You get an EXACT replica of that model!

Down to electrics and paint that will be just like a current 50 year old Les Paul in 50 years time. If you want it 'aged' You pay extra to get it aged. But, don't expect a 'replica' to be like an original. It can't. It hasn't had 50 years of playing put through it.

Am I right or are there various models of the same guitar on sale here for 'vastly' different prices?

If Gibson came to me and offered me a model named after me I'd be honoured. Not be out for profit from it. Surely Billy Gibbons, Slash, Neil Schon, Jeff Beck and many others have enough money already?

I'd like to see a reply from Gibson on this thread to show they 'care' about the customer and take note of what the customer wants.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Gibson knows what's going on. And a number of forum users come in to talk about problems. So sometimes it seems like there are a lot of complaints. On the other hand, I think Gibson CS tries to satisfy customers within the limits of their warranty.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/WarrantyRegistration/GibsonUSAWarranty/

I also add that I've never had any problems with any of the Gibsons I've owned - no complaints here.

Gibson is in business to make money, and I've got no problem with them charging what the market will bear. And on sig guitars, the market rides pretty high. As far as Les Pauls, if you're looking for value, I think the LP Studio is absolutely one of the best deals, from any manufacturer.

As far as a reply from Gibson, there's been a CS guy posting lately. Maybe you'll see something.

Yes' date=' Gibson knows what's going on. And a number of forums users come in to talk about problems. So sometimes it seems like there are a lot of complaints. On the other hand, I think Gibson CS tries to satisfy customers within the limits of their warranty.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/WarrantyRegistration/GibsonUSAWarranty/

I also add that I've never had any problems with any of the Gibsons I've owned - no complaints here.

Gibson is in business to make money, and I've got no problem with them charging what the market will bear. And on sig guitars, the market rides pretty high. As far as Les Pauls, if you're looking for value, I think the LP Studio is absolutely one of the best deals, from any manufacturer.

As far as a reply from Gibson, there's been a CS guy posting lately. Maybe you'll see something.

[/quote']

I've seen two or three different guys with their rank listed as Customer Service Team or something to that effect

Thats very good....

It's "human nature" to ***** about something that has happened to you, and (too often) "Assume" it's the "Norm," now?!

I have lots of Gibsons, from the '50's, onward. They are ALL First Rate, quality wise! My only (real) complaint, has been

with the Gibson USA "spec's" vs Custom Shop! I (personally) feel like LP, SG, ES or any other model, spec's should be

consistent, with the orginal model specs. Leave the CS, for actual Custom Shop work! And, price that, accordingly. But,

having different specs, depending on whether or not, you're willing to pay for something, that should be done "Right" to

begin with....is my only, kind of "Pet Peeve!" But, that goes for Fender, too! So, I don't "pick on" just Gibson, in that regard. ;>)

Some folks, here....like to trash Epi's, too..."Asian made crap," etc. I've never felt that way, as I think they are great

guitars, for their "nitch!" I own several Epi's (both USA and Asian), as well. They ALL perform well, and...ironically,

usually have much better "fret work," than their much more expensive, Gibson counterparts...(At least, the pre-

"Plecked" versions, of Gibson's).

I DO wish, Epiphone was still "Made in USA," but...they'd cost as much as Gibson's, if they were, and lose their market.

So, it's all cool!

CB

As I've only just got back to playing I've not 'invested' a lot of money yet into it. I've been reading reviews and have bought a couple of guitars off ebay. An Aria ta 50 (335)in black and a Michael Kelly Patriot Decree in red. Funny enough I bid and won them both at the same price £156 each. you can't argue at any decent guitar for that money. They are both virtually unused and need setting up. The Aria hadn't got a case but the Kelly had a Stagg hard case.

My opinion of them is. The Aria finish is exellent. No Flaws at all. The Kelly on the other hand is crap. It looks beautiful. But the frets are loose, the electrics are very poorly wired. There's a gap under the nut and many defects in the paint. I've read great reviews about them and I'm disappointed in it. For the money it's ok though.

Funny enough I've just been looking at a Les Paul Studio on ebay and might bid. All of this takes me back to my 'band' days and reminds me why I loved my Les Pauls. I wish I still had them. I had a Sunburst custom. A wine red 3 pup custom and a beautiful black Les Paul Pro with ebony fretboard and P 90's. I feel another one coming on!! I'd like one like Marc Bolan had with the Orange front.

As I've only just got back to playing I've not 'invested' a lot of money yet into it. I've been reading reviews and have bought a couple of guitars off ebay. An Aria ta 50 (335)in black and a Michael Kelly Patriot Decree in red. Funny enough I bid and won them both at the same price £156 each. you can't argue at any decent guitar for that money. They are both virtually unused and need setting up. The Aria hadn't got a case but the Kelly had a Stagg hard case.

My opinion of them is. The Aria finish is exellent. No Flaws at all. The Kelly on the other hand is crap. It looks beautiful. But the frets are loose' date=' the electrics are very poorly wired. There's a gap under the nut and many defects in the paint. I've read great reviews about them and I'm disappointed in it. For the money it's ok though.

Funny enough I've just been looking at a Les Paul Studio on ebay and might bid. All of this takes me back to my 'band' days and reminds me why I loved my Les Pauls. I wish I still had them. I had a Sunburst custom. A wine red 3 pup custom and a beautiful black Les Paul Pro with ebony fretboard and P 90's. I feel another one coming on!! I'd like one like Marc Bolan had with the Orange front. [/quote']

Blah blah blah blah blah. And whats your point? Never mind, I don't want to know..... [lol]

Btw, not one bad issue with my two LP's. 05 Standard Faded & 02 Classic.

Guest rogerb

Hello Lashurst, welcome to the Gibson forum. Gibson customer service does indeed read the posts. Should you have a problem with your instrument you can contact us direct by emailing service@gibson.com we will reply and try to help with any issue you might have. In the UK you can also contact our Europe office by emailing: service.europe@gibson.com.

I'm confused by what you want...other then a Gibson rep to be present here...

You want (custom?) guitars built exactly to original 50 yr old specs...at what price point? Do you want more models (better models?) that the general public can afford?...are you looking for cheaper Standards & Traditionals? Better Studios and Fadeds? While I don't get into the whole 'star's guitar' models, I do think it is weird that you wouldn't mind Gibson using your name to sell guitars, w/o cutting you in on some of the $$, and charging those willing to pay for them accordingly.

[lol]

I like th idea of lower prices, especially for nicer stuff. Where do I sign?

I wish my BMW had been cheaper, I also wish Mac computers where cheaper and right now while I am in the Emerald Coast of the USA I wish all things where cheaper around here!!

Stiffhand. Exactly my point. I don't know what BMW you have. But, if it cost 30k. Would you pay 90k if you had a piece of paper and an autograph of Tom Cruise if he drove that model? No. What I'm saying is. There are too many models and too much rip off. Quality should go up and prices could come down by reducing the costs. But I suppose I'll get another blah blah blah. Sarcasm's the lowest form of wit. I work hard for the things I buy and pay a UK premium for them. I expect value for my money.

Big Bill.

I'm Not complaining. Read my original post. There are loads of complaints on this forum. I'm just putting forward my view on them.

I personally haven't had a problem with the Gibsons I've owned. But they were 70's Gibsons.

I think the best thing is accept gibson guitars for what they are. I have four and I love them and I am very proud to own them,yes they can have floors and defects but to me that makes them very individual. All four of mine have little problems but it realy doesn,t bother me one bit,they play great and sound great and thats what counts.There are people on this forum who have spent huge amounts of money on gibsons and im sure will continue to do so, me included because that what gibson need. Just play the damm thing.lol

I think the best thing is accept gibson guitars for what they are. I have four and I love them and I am very proud to own them' date='yes they can have floors and defects but to me that makes them very individual. All four of mine have little problems but it realy doesn,t bother me one bit,they play great and sound great and thats what counts.There are people on this forum who have spent huge amounts of money on gibsons and im sure will continue to do so, me included because that what gibson need. Just play the damm thing.lol[/quote']

+1

IMHO the best "value for my money" deal is the LP Studio....

Whenever you have humans involved there are going to be lemons out there and I'm sure there were lemons in the 70's.

If you happen to find one then I'm sure Gibson CS will make it right.

Cheers!

Stiffhand. Exactly my point. I don't know what BMW you have. But' date=' if it cost 30k. Would you pay 90k if you had a piece of paper and an autograph of Tom Cruise if he drove that model? No. What I'm saying is. There are too many models and too much rip off. Quality should go up and prices could come down by reducing the costs. But I suppose I'll get another blah blah blah. Sarcasm's the lowest form of wit. I work hard for the things I buy and pay a UK premium for them. I expect value for my money. [/quote']

Signature guitars have a market whether you like them or like their prices or not, that market are self-leveling in that demand and supply go tightly hand in hand. If Gibson makes a signature models just like every single guitar company out there, they put a premium on the price and the guitars sells, what is the problem? the Gibson Les Paul is a signature guitar remember? are you not a Les Paul fan?

I understand your "wishlist" of how things should work, there are thousands of opinions out there on the subject but those opinions never seem to be accompanied by a solid financial plan. Gibson is a for-profit company, if they sell ideals instead of products that actually sell with a margin they might go under quickly.

A lot of folks long for the golden days of Gibson electric guitar making, the 1950's. Cool, well did you know that the price for a 1958 Les Paul back then was the equivalent of $3,500 today? that is the very reason they did not sell like pancakes.

Right now you can get a fantastic 1958 reissue for the same price that according to people that acytually have played and owned original 1958 Les Paul are a very close interpretation of those guitars. So in conclusion I don't see the problem. Gibsons are expensive, always have been.

I just bought a 1958 reissue myself and I love it.

I don't think you can unless you are "special'.

It is hard to move a large comany like Gibson to make you a specific guitar.

Imagine, re-configuring or pausing the production line to make a one off.

On the other hand, you can always get the guitar that is closest to the specs you want and have it modified by a professional luthier. As an example, check www.historicmakeovers.com and see what a pro can do to your guitar.

Also look a the refinish section on www.rsguitarworks.net really cool one of a kind professional refinishes.

Is there a law in the UK that states you must only buy your guitars from Gibson? Since you feel so strong about price and quality' date=' go elsewhere to purchase your gear. [/quote']

No there is no law stating this, just a few very greedy dealers ripping people off over here. My Standard is listed as £1899, on most of the UK sites and shops I looked at. I found the very same Guitar on another european website for £1674. I contacted a UK dealer and asked for a price match, and would you believe it they agreed!! That was an instant saving of £225. How do they do it, I've no idea?[lol] I could have paid the original price and I'm sure that lot's of people probably have, and they've still made a big profit. I don't blame Gibson for selling such a beautifully made, iconic guitar for whatever price the market will bear. They have highly skilled employees who deserve to make a good living, and they also need to make a profit as a company. No, UK dealers have a lot to answer for IMHO. Maybe that's why they call it "Rip off Britain"!!![biggrin]

No there is no law stating this' date=' just a few very greedy dealers ripping people off over here. My Standard is listed as £1899, on most of the UK sites and shops I looked at. I found the very same Guitar on another european website for £1674. I contacted a UK dealer and asked for a price match, and would you believe it they agreed!! That was an instant saving of £225. How do they do it, I've no idea?[biggrin] I could have paid the original price and I'm sure that lot's of people probably have, and they've still made a big profit. I don't blame Gibson for selling such a beautifully made, iconic guitar for whatever price the market will bear. They have highly skilled employees who deserve to make a good living, and they also need to make a profit as a company. No, UK dealers have a lot to answer for IMHO. Maybe that's why they call it "Rip off Britain"!!![angry']

I can imagine that problem could be true about anywhere outside of North America.

Wow. Your all over the place. Are you high on crack?

First; you dont have a Gibson, so why are you coming on the forum to complain about quality and customer service of an item that you dont have?

Second; Gibson has an outlet for questions and concerns about their products. Its called customer service. The phone number and email can be found on this website. Its unrealistic to expect a Gibson rep to reply to every question or comment posted in a public forum that anyone with an email adress can register and become a member of.

And lastly; you are hardly the first person to register for this forum and start b*tching about how expensive Les Pauls are and throw in your two cents about how you think the company should be run. No one from Gibson owes you anything, so get real.

Had you actually purchased a Gibson guitar, had a problem with it, contacted customer service, and did not recieve a satisfactory response or action, I could see you using the forum as another outlet to try to get your issue adressed.

No one has a gun to your head saying that you have to buy a Gibson, so if your this unhappy with how things are going, you should probably not buy one.

Archived