• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love to hear your thoughts!

These lists are pointless and silly.

LOL!

+1

But hey; I like 'silly'.

Just so long as I don't begin to take them seriously...

It's been mentioned already that this is largely a "popularity contest."

That's the way to look at it.

I'm sure we could all come up with at least ten guitarists who are absent and the ordering of those mentioned so far looks a bit like a tombola result.

Furthermore; not one Bass guitarist has been mentioned. Does Gibson not recognise bassists as guitarists?

:-

Guest Gibson Lifestyle
14. Prince!!!!!! WTF :-$[-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-(

Prince is overall underrated (over/under? ;) ) as a guitarist, or even as musician for that fact. He is extremely talented. The description just about nailed it on his entry. Whether his rank should be 14 or not can be debated, but he deserves to be in the conversation of a top 50 list.

Reading some of the reactions on the Gibson site are funny. This list is way off, but that's the way the people voted. You have to laugh though at not only the order of this list, but just some of the people on it and not on it.

Pippy...

Actually... No, it appears the poll - and frankly to me as well - that no, bass players aren't guitarists any more than they are violinists if they play a fretless.

Now...

Poll weakness: It leaves out some of the top jazz guitarists that were incredibly astute musicians. Some in sessions helped create "rock" sounds but are virtually unknown in that role.

So... Basically we've got folks who are known for standing up and singing and playing.

That's not necessarily bad, but it's a popularity contest.

Robert Johnson? Yeah, some knew of him, but let's face it, given the technology of the time, even folkie bluesie pickers quite likely never heard him even if they'd heard of him. How 'bout Gary Davis, for example, who wasn't dead in the 60s?

m

Very few of you people seem to know that this was from a Readers poll....its not about who is the best, its who is more out there and popular...more people know em, more people vote for him.

I don't understand why people ***** about stuff like this....

Very few of you people seem to know that this was from a Readers poll....its not about who is the best' date=' its who is more out there and popular...more people know em, more people vote for him.

I don't understand why people ***** about stuff like this....[/quote']

I Agree.

If anybody remembers, the folks at Gibson ask us to cast our vote for our favorite guitarist. Gibson didn't rate these artist, we did. The results in part is a reflection of the tastes we have here in the forum. We can't blame Gibson or the author of the article.

Most people are *****in because the list is named "Gibson.com's Top 50 Guitarist of All Time" it's just a poor title for something that is voted on by the people. It seems to be a misunderstanding that Gibson made this list.

Archived