Gibson Brands Forums

OK...how about....I LOVE The (F...ing) Beatles, and WHY!

charlie brown

Aside, from their obvious talents, cultural influence, and iconic stature...

they saved my life, literally, at a time (age 12) when I

had just lost my Dad, to a heart attack, had no obvious

direction, or idea, what I could, or would do...etc. But, by

inspiring me to play music, and to love music, more than

any other influence, before them...(or since), if the truth be told.

It's impossible (for me) to underestimate their influence, or to

ever get tired of "Beatles" music! Someone once stated, they

were a band, that made the whole world happy, for a time! That's

about as good an explanation, as needed.

What are YOUR reasons, if you have/need any?

CB

I love the Beatles because they were innovative (both musically and with studio techniques). Mostly though, I love them because my parent's love them.

I really think that hundreds of years from now, when rock and roll is a paragraph in some history book (or whatever they use at the time), people will still talk about the Beatles and Elvis.

I love the Beatles because they were innovative (both musically and with studio techniques). Mostly though' date=' I love them because my parent's love them.

I really think that hundreds of years from now, when rock and roll is a paragraph in some history book (or whatever they use at the time), people will still talk about the Beatles and Elvis. [/quote']

This will rattle some cages, but its the truth.

Compared to the Beatles, Elvis was a hack. He didnt write his own music and was washed up for the most part after only a few years. Yes, he had a good voice, but that was about it...He made more money after his death than when he was alive. To sum him up, he was the original white bread eye candy who near the end of his life looked like an aging, bloated hipster who was still trying to make the teenagers swoon...but, by then most of his audience had blue hair.

Beatles #1

Well their influence on my life was immeasurable.

As a four year old I could hardly fathom what my older cousins were so excited about as we gathered around my uncles TV to watch Sullivan.

By the end of All My Loving I couldn't imagine a world without Beatle music.

They are the reason my Dad bought me my first drum set.

They are the reason he bought me my first guitar.

Flash forward to early 1970 and the DJ voice from my little transistor radio saying that the word out of England was the Beatles had broken up.

No way thats just a temporary thing someday they'll make music again.

December 1980. The news comes over the radio as I work overnight. It can't be.......

They lead the way for all of us musically whether you want to admit it or not.

They taught me about rhythms, harmony, melody, etc.

When i was down they cheered me up.

When I was alone they were the best friend I could have.

They were the first group that was 4 individuals and everybody new their names.

It was strange because although you never met them you felt as if you knew them.

A day doesn't go by when I don't pick up my acoustic and play Blackbird or Here Comes The Sun

The were the soundtrack to my Wonder Years ya might say.

and that is priceless.

(sorry for the ramble)

This will rattle some cages' date=' but its the truth.

Compared to the Beatles, Elvis was a hack. He didnt write his own music and was washed up for the most part after only a few years. Yes, he had a good voice, but that was about it...He made more money after his death than when he was alive. To sum him up, he was the original white bread eye candy who near the end of his life looked like an aging, bloated hipster who was still trying to make the teenagers swoon...but, by then most of his audience had blue hair.

Beatles #1[/quote']

No cage rattling here. I agree. I just said that because a lot of people cite him as a major influence on rock and roll, and probably will continue to do so. Heck, even John Lennon said "Before Elvis, there was nothing." That being said, I still think the Beatles did way more for rock and roll on a major scale than anyone else.

Colonel Tom Parker, is what happened to Elvis! That, and the sycophants, he had surrounding him.

They "killed" the real Elvis, long before he actually died. Pre-Army Elvis was much better, than the

"Hollywood" version, that Parker promoted...IMHO, as always. Paker, was looking out for Parker...

Not, Elvis.

The Beatles, talent and image, was never messed with, by outsiders. Brian was a behind the scenes

manager (naive or not), and never messed with their image, save "cleaning them up," initially.

They did all their changes, themselves. So, they "grew!" Elvis (unfortunately) became a "Lounge

Lizzard," even if the lounges were some of the best, in the world.

CB

Some of my earliest memories of music are of my dad playing Beatles records in the studio/basement in Detroit. First time I touched a guitar (Gibson Melody Maker), pops was trying to show me how to play a Beatles riff. Zep and Zap were my main musical influences as a young player, but I always had a spot for the Beatles in my heart, and spot for a few Beatles records on the shelf. Abbey Road was the third album I ever bought.

When I was 5 my twin sisters saw them in Memphis. They came back flying for weeks. I thought anyone they thought was cool, I thought so too. Loved them ever since. I honestly think they were absolute genius songwriters (at least John and Paul and sometimes George). I honestly never tire of listening, even the really old less polished stuff. I listened so much growing up that today my 85 year old mother will say "that's the Beatles" when their song comes on the radio. I'M proud.

Doesn't everyone love the B side of Abbey road especially from MMM to Her Majesty?

B side of Abbey Road? Yes indeed, I do love it. I love the A side, too. [biggrin]

To me, the Beatles are that band that have been around since before I was born, were great when I heard them when I was a little kid, and were even better years later upon revisiting them, and that band that I'll never get bored of, and that band that I have warm, sentimental feelings for, and that band that always has at least one song that works magic on me in some way, and that band with songwriters and performers whose work could be analyzed (i.e. one can understand the music on a theoretical basis--hell, even I can play "Day Tripper") but could never be matched, at least in the style they worked in, by another, and they'll always be one of my favorites even if they're not my "#1" all the time.

This is me' date=' ten years ago this month!

[img']http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c231/Toronto_Ontario/cross-13-12-00a.jpg[/img]

I'll be there next month! Bottom line, they wrote great tunes. Lennon's weirdness was a perfect match for McCartney's saneness. Throw in Harrison and Ringo, and you've got the most perfect band ever...

It's interesting' date=' that the "I Hate The Beatles" thread, is getting a lot more response....

even though most, are expressing their love, or appreciation at least, for The Beatles,

on that thread. ??? LOL

CB[/quote']

All roads lead me back to Rubber Soul or the White Album[cool]

...I really think that hundreds of years from now' date=' when rock and roll is a paragraph in some history book (or whatever they use at the time), people will still talk about the Beatles and Elvis. [/quote']

'Nuff said.

Archived