Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

Well, I can tell you this much. I have a Honey and a Cherry Burst 50', and neither have a ding or dent on the guitar anywhere.

My Cherry was RIGHT after the flood, it was worn and the covers on the back were scratched a bit.

My Honey, which is about 3 1/2 0r 4 months newer, has very LITTLE wearing, and almost NO scratching on the back covers...

But a ding or dent, I have not seen or heard anybody on this forum say or mention that.

I'm not saying it did or did not come that way, just my observations on this thread since I've been watching this thread since around July or so..smiley-char124.gif

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got mine from Guitar Center online just a few weeks ago. I just happened to be oogling Les Pauls and I saw a "blemished" Honeyburst for $750.00 ! Needless to say I hit the BUY button and it came in the mail a few days later. I don't even see any blemishes!

1129001434-1.jpg

Finally! She has arrived! Don't have words to describe how wonderful She is! Shiny top, no signs of wear, two-piece body (as far as I can see it). No buzz, precisely finished fretboard! Sounds like a dream! I LOVE P90s TOO!. Will post some pictures after new years eve. Happy New Year to all of You!

Very nice!

I think the whole "wear" thing is just some idiot's idea to copy the relic-ing on the new Fenders..."road worn," or whatever they called it.

They wish. The Fender road worn pieces could arguably be considered as well done.

The five scratches on my GT are obviously the result of one idiot taking 20 seconds with a piece of 150 grit sandpaper to just F up an otherwise good guitar.

It's not only a weak effort, it's just stupid. Thanks goodness they didn't F it up any more than they did.

The guy with the hammer hit?

Oy!

That extra effort should be considered as a "one-off" and be worth considerably more due to the added labor cost.

I have a question for all you experts...

We purchased a "brand new" one of these with a Gold Top off eBay. It came in the box and included all of the paperwork and warranty. The eBay seller was a guitar dealer.

On the description, it said "This guitar came with a nice ding on the body courtesy of Gibson and their "Worn Finish" process (See Pictures)." and I suspected that statement was true. I want to know if you guys know anything about the dings on my guitar, and if they were intentional by Gibson.

I'll include a picture:IMG_2444.jpg

So, this dent was very obviously made by a hammer or tool, because it has a grid-like pattern to the dent. I also suspect that it was done intentionally because it has another dent on the bottom of the guitar, under the dent in the picture.

Would Gibson make this dent intentionally?

The guitar has other signs of wear I know was also caused by Gibson, like the scratches on the pick guard, and patina on the finish.

Thanks for your input!

-The Electric Blu Studio

I seriously doubt Gibson had anything to do with that horrible ding. It was most likely caused by the seller. "I have no dings on my GT tribute" when I purchased it still in an unopened box. Was the box it was shipped in the original Gibson box? Was the box "stapled" like with was supposed to be from Gibson and not tapped up?

Here is my GT which I purchased back in late August of this year.

p9010185.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2010-09-01

p9010187.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2010-09-01

None of my 3 Tributes came dinged, just varying degrees of mild finish "wearing" at a few edges, plus deliberate scratching on a few plastic parts. I can't say for sure they didn't do this, but I doubt it (though I've seen one or two on eBay mentioning dings). I'd contact Gibson Customer Service and simply ask them if they did any "dinging" as part of the worn finish process. But since it's not "relicing" (which Fender does exceptionally well, if you're into that sort of thing) but "worn finish", I wouldn't think a ding would fit into that program.

Finally! She has arrived! Don't have words to describe how wonderful She is! Shiny top, no signs of wear, two-piece body (as far as I can see it). No buzz, precisely finished fretboard! Sounds like a dream! I LOVE P90s TOO!. Will post some pictures after new years eve. Happy New Year to all of You!

Glad it got there, congrats! You're going to make us wait a week for pics though? [confused]

Would Gibson make this dent intentionally?

No. You brought a guitar that was a bit dinged up.

All they do is rough up the edges on the paint finish a bit.

My GT didn't have any visible signs of wear (or relicing) from the factory.

Contrary to a previous posters opinion this is nothing like a Fender road worn.

I was happy with my purchase.

sbqwsx.jpg

The five scratches on my GT are obviously the result of one idiot taking 20 seconds with a piece of 150 grit sandpaper to just F up an otherwise good guitar.

Yeah, I don't get the "scratches" at all...especially on the plastic parts. The edges look like they were buffed.

Mine only has slight scratches on the pickguard and the cavity cover. No signs of wear on the body, no dings. Thanks God! I don't want others to relic my Gibson, I've decades to do it myself. :)

When I picked mine up, I also checked the three other Tributes at the shop: a black, a white, and a honey one. Only the black looked worn. It had it's neck and it's edges sanded.

Mine only has slight scratches on the pickguard and the cavity cover. No signs of wear on the body, no dings. Thanks God! I don't want others to relic my Gibson, I've decades to do it myself. :)

When I picked mine up, I also checked the three other Tributes at the shop: a black, a white, and a honey one. Only the black looked worn. It had it's neck and it's edges sanded.

We're waiting for pictures, man.

Hi I'm new on here but as a new owner of a Honey Burst thought i wouel tell you about

my experience . I Live near The hague in The Netherlands, ex pat Brit . I ordered my

Honey Burst with Thomann Germany 25th of October after unsuccessfully finding one in a shop

(I did later find a black one sounded great but didn't like the look in a shop in The hague called Rock Palace

I thinks its still there)Thomaan told me it was the eighteenth reserved out of twenty (Honey Burst) they had on order with Gibson .

I wasn't sure after reading all your posts on this site if i would get one but on Dec 4th it arrived.

It was like someone else said here boxed in the original Gibson box stapled and I think unopened

by anyonesince despatch from the factory in Nashville USA.

It is to say the least beautiful! A little darker burst than the photos on Gibsons site

but I actually like that. It was still more or less in Tune after its long journey and was set up

perfectly so playable straight out of the Box. The sound of those P90's, well you guys know

yourselves how sweet they are .It was far better than i expected just great! The serial number shows

its manufature date of November 8th 2010 you can't get any newer than that!

And to follow up on a previous thred that I read here there is no relic'ing ie no dings or scraped paint

or scratches just a finer maybe slightly faded look about the coating it doesn't even look old just thin and not glossy I guess.

My Honey Burst is finished off very well no rough bits on the neck or sharp edges to the frets the neck

feals fast and smooth and something I really like the Fretboard is quite dark maybe even stained and feels

run-in . I normaly would buy second hand because I dislike new fretboards I prefer that someone else has

done the hard work of sweating and dirtying the fretboard for me. But this guitar has that feel already

It is has two pieces of wood which match quite well but I noticed on photos posted here that they can be

up to 4 pieces so there seems to be no standard.

To sum up this Guitar to me is the best buy I have ever done Euro 759,00 free dlivery and for the money

a guitar that plays and looks like a Euro 2.000,00 Gibson . I suspect Gibson will not produce more than

planned at least not at this low price . And you know what ,selfish as it might sound, now that I have my

beauty I hope they keep it to a limited run and you guys should too because in years( only a few years )

to come this guitar will become collectable for sure.

Thank you Gibson for producing a new ,already vintage ,Les Paul.

Hi I'm new on here but as a new owner of a Honey Burst thought i wouel tell you about

my experience . I Live near The hague in The Netherlands, ex pat Brit . I ordered my

Honey Burst with Thomann Germany 25th of October after unsuccessfully finding one in a shop

(I did later find a black one sounded great but didn't like the look in a shop in The hague called Rock Palace

I thinks its still there)Thomaan told me it was the eighteenth reserved out of twenty (Honey Burst) they had on order with Gibson .

I wasn't sure after reading all your posts on this site if i would get one but on Dec 4th it arrived.

It was like someone else said here boxed in the original Gibson box stapled and I think unopened

by anyonesince despatch from the factory in Nashville USA.

It is to say the least beautiful! A little darker burst than the photos on Gibsons site

but I actually like that. It was still more or less in Tune after its long journey and was set up

perfectly so playable straight out of the Box. The sound of those P90's, well you guys know

yourselves how sweet they are .It was far better than i expected just great! The serial number shows

its manufature date of November 8th 2010 you can't get any newer than that!

And to follow up on a previous thred that I read here there is no relic'ing ie no dings or scraped paint

or scratches just a finer maybe slightly faded look about the coating it doesn't even look old just thin and not glossy I guess.

My Honey Burst is finished off very well no rough bits on the neck or sharp edges to the frets the neck

feals fast and smooth and something I really like the Fretboard is quite dark maybe even stained and feels

run-in . I normaly would buy second hand because I dislike new fretboards I prefer that someone else has

done the hard work of sweating and dirtying the fretboard for me. But this guitar has that feel already

It is has two pieces of wood which match quite well but I noticed on photos posted here that they can be

up to 4 pieces so there seems to be no standard.

To sum up this Guitar to me is the best buy I have ever done Euro 759,00 free dlivery and for the money

a guitar that plays and looks like a Euro 2.000,00 Gibson . I suspect Gibson will not produce more than

planned at least not at this low price . And you know what ,selfish as it might sound, now that I have my

beauty I hope they keep it to a limited run and you guys should too because in years( only a few years )

to come this guitar will become collectable for sure.

Thank you Gibson for producing a new ,already vintage ,Les Paul.

Congrats!

I too just bought a freshly unboxed 50's Tribute Honey...

Mine was a freakish $753 before tax ($803 w/ Florida sales tax). Not a factory second - or a refurb... Dead mint & new. Guitar Center just mispriced it.

Hello HumTone! Completely agree with You! These guitars look, feel and sound like the much more expensive Gibson LPs. Although I have waited exactly 220 days for mine, but it was worth! The instrument is without any of the issues stated by some other people in this forum: the switch works perfectly, no "over-relicing", no peeling-off finish, etc. It came well set up, no fret buzz, no intonation problems.

I never had any guitars with P90's before, and I was surprised to hear them sound almost better than other more popular Gibson pickups. They almost as thick-sounding as humbuckers, just a bit rougher in a good way, what I really like.

When I took it home, first I played thru the amps and effects that were set up for my Ibanez RGA (heavy gain setting by Ibanez TS-10/MS-10 pedals combined) and it sounded awesome. I know most of the people in this forum would say, that's a blasphemy, and this guitar should be played either clean or with mild bluesy overdrive, but I have to admit I enjoy to shred with it! Using the neck pickup! With milder overdrive setting You can get wonderful tones for blues and southern rock riffing. So I can say, this guitar (the P90's) is surprisingly versatile.

The neck, and the fingerboard feels extra smooth. Compared to my Ibanez, tuned to the same pitch with same gauge strings, the Goldtop's string pressure seems much lighter, which allows effortless bending and wide vibratos.

The finish of the top, the grain pattern of the fingerboard is amazing!!! The vintage-looking, greenish inlays, tuning-keys are classy additions. Fantastic!

There is one interesting thing about mine GT: it's switch cavity cover is not the see-through type as it should be, it's a regular black one - maybe the factory ran out of them by November? [rolleyes]

Only disappointing thing is the very cheap-looking (it's indeed) China-made gig-bag. Such an instrument deserves a nice Gibson hardshell case, which I am going to buy as soon as my budget allows me. But I am not complaining: at this price for such a great guitar I am not expecting to get a high-quality hardcase too, what I am just saying that these two articles simply do not belong together.

Thank You Gibson! This wonderful instrument made such a good impression on me, I immediately ordered another LP Studio (Satin Ebony - Mahogany 60) while still at the shop picking up the Goldtop. [thumbup] Cheers! Bence

Archived