Gibson Brands Forums

Introducing the Les Paul Studio 50’s Tribute – Limited Run from Gibson USA

Gibson USA

I just called gibson and cs told me that they are all sold out of the 50's tribute. He said they might make more in the future, but he's not sure. So for now, just cross your fingers for the distribution centers.

j

Old news. Gibson had them all sold to dealers months ago, and announced that in this thread (updated on first post).

Seems the Gold Top frenzy is finally ebbing with supply having been loosened up a bit. A week or two ago, the going rate on eBay for a new GT was $1300 +/-, now they are dropping a bit, some with BIN a bit lower, some even with free shipping. There are more there than have been recently, and there is one even closing in under 12 hours that still hasn't topped $1000. Got to say, even though I've considered offing my NIB GT, I am happy to see this, that those who missed out on the deal originally are perhaps able to still pick one up at what is at least not an outrageous price. Very cool guitars, worth a grand I'd guess (though I'm glad I paid less for all of mine).

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy O Boy! My Gold Top is on its way from UK store GAK. It's been a six month wait but Christmas has come a few weeks early. Will post pictures and hope it's made of fewer that 3 pieces.

I don't think the UK has been aware of this limited run, so ebay fever has yet to hit us. But I'll be keeping the hang tags and bag just in case we have a future collectable on our hands.

Has anyone upgraded the pickups yet? And I'm thinking of adding a bigsby too though the Vibramate option looks pricey. Oh, and I may spray it gold all over. Just kidding.

C'mon clock, tick faster dammit.

Boy O Boy! My Gold Top is on its way from UK store GAK. It's been a six month wait but Christmas has come a few weeks early. Will post pictures and hope it's made of fewer that 3 pieces.

I don't think the UK has been aware of this limited run, so ebay fever has yet to hit us. But I'll be keeping the hang tags and bag just in case we have a future collectable on our hands.

Has anyone upgraded the pickups yet? And I'm thinking of adding a bigsby too though the Vibramate option looks pricey. Oh, and I may spray it gold all over. Just kidding.

C'mon clock, tick faster dammit.

Yeah not many people in the uk know about it, but i think all the gold uk ones are gone to pre-orders. The guy at the shop said originally they'd sold all colours to pre-orders but nearly everyone canceled over time, apart from me. I was gonna upgrade the pickups but the p90's sound so sweet I can't bring myself to. I'm deffo getting a bigsby soon. Yeah, i'm wondering what the uk ebay prices will be like. I'm keeping the gibson box it comes in.

Gutted.

My Gold Top arrived this morning, and even before I tuned it up I had issues. Sharp frets, an ugly strip of rosewood, and an uncomfortable ridge of spray build up between the fretboard and neck. Oh, a half inch ding by the lead input. Part of the distressed look? No, bad manufacture. Had I tried it in the shop, I would have handed it back. How is it that Chinese and Korean born guitars have mastered the art if finishing when Gibson, who have had a thirty year head start, are in last place? I waited 6 months, counted the days, and am going to return it.

If these go up in value (which I doubt), I'll avoid them like I do the 70's vintage strats. A bad guitar is a bad guitar. I might buy the Firebird x though. Just kidding.

On to the next guitar then...

Gutted.

My Gold Top arrived this morning, and even before I tuned it up I had issues. Sharp frets, an ugly strip of rosewood, and an uncomfortable ridge of spray build up between the fretboard and neck. Oh, a half inch ding by the lead input. Part of the distressed look? No, bad manufacture. Had I tried it in the shop, I would have handed it back. How is it that Chinese and Korean born guitars have mastered the art if finishing when Gibson, who have had a thirty year head start, are in last place? I waited 6 months, counted the days, and am going to return it.

If these go up in value (which I doubt), I'll avoid them like I do the 70's vintage strats. A bad guitar is a bad guitar. I might buy the Firebird x though. Just kidding.

Why don't you just sell it? All the issues you mention sound fairly minor and I am sure that there are alot of people that would pay you more than you payed for it.

Gutted.

R-6!! ;>)

CB

Nice, thanks for posting! Love my Honeyburst, I need to air it out a bit (been put away in it's case for some time).

You guys who keep apologizing for your "sloppy playing" crack me up. You obviously haven't heard me play. Yet. [wink]

I could have put in in more realistic words, like,

There are no more cats in the neighborhood anymore...... msp_blink.gif

I remember a discussion with a fellow player some years back. Frustrated, he said "I suck". I said, "Hey, who doesn't. None of us play they was we want to, at least not all the time. But who doesn't suck?". His reply, "Clapton". As I told him then, I bet he even thinks the same some times (maybe not, but I've read he doesn't like his singing voice- which I think is fantastic). We are often our own worst critics.

Does your HCB sound better than your HB? [tongue] I'll bet some days either sound better than they do other days... which is the same here, with my 11 guitars.

Actually, T, the Cherry I like better looks, and feel.

The Honey, Was dead nuts on everything, from the set-up to playability.

I did nothing to that one whatsoever... Perfect, even the switch....msp_tongue.gif

I will say the Honey is just that.. It plays better than ANY guitar I have ever touched in my life..

It's funny that the same exact guitars are different so, yet the same...

Looks like your O.T. went down a little lately... Your posting more...

Don't worry, we are sending you down some snow to the Detroit way for ya....msp_flapper.gif

Can someone please tell me the (exactly) the way their 50's Tribute was packed and shipped?

Along with the contents of the box? Candy and an accurate description of packing materials?

Was the guitar in or out of the gig bag and how was the guitar supported in the box etc?

Mine was poorly packed and I have a suspicion someone had been inside the box.

Even better photos if you still have everything

Thanks I would really appreciate it.

Archived