Gibson Brands Forums

OK Then......................The World Cup

albertjohn

Starts Friday and England's first game is on Saturday.

Far more a cricket fan myself but I must say I have began to be caught up in all the nonsense. Had it not been for Thierry Henry's very poor "hand of God" maneouver, I'd have an Irish tricolour on my car instead of the Cross of St George, and Walter my youngest would have a Robbie Keane shirt insread of his Wayne Rooney number.

Anyway, England's first game is on Saturday against.................USA. I shall be supping beer at the local watching it on the big screen, with assorted children.

For all you history buffs, the last and only other time they met at the World Cup was some 60 years ago. USA 1-0 England.

My mate Ashley (now the proud owner of a J185 sunburst) and I are playing in the local on Friday night and have hastily downloaded the words and chords to "Football's Coming Home"!

Good luck to all my American friends here.................. but not too much.

Yeah I know - should be in The Lounge.

Canada made its one and only appearance in the world cup in 1986 ( 3 million players and nothing ?!?!? ) England has been my team since. I don't know why, they always dissappoint but I always cheer for them. I'll be watching.

The CBC is showing every single match, 200 hours of football madness,its going to be great.

nope, soccer is not big at all here in the States,, I cannot sit through a game myself,, I know its HUGE in other countries but it doesnt matter even in the slightest to me and I'm a big sports fan, ever since I was a Kid, Soccer has gotten the least exposure here so its a game I pay NO attention to

There are a few of us in the states that pay attention to the World Cup action. The media is trying to drum up some interest in Saturdays' match but its true...like SG Special says....many here don't seem to understand the game enough to pay attention through a whole match.

I remember being in San Jose (Costa Rica) when their national team played Mexico...it was like everything else stopped for the weekend so people could watch the match! It was exciting.

Good luck to England...you may need it against this US squad this year....

I never "got" football. My Dad was a racing driver so I grew up with a ton of motorsport in my life, F1, BTCC, WTCC, Indycar etc. Football was never really a factor. All the very best of luck to England though.

Let's be honest. USA played very well. Won the 50/50 challenges and kept the ball. Only a top class save from Robert Green deprived them of 3 points.

England otoh did not play well and should have had the game wrapped up before half time.

USA deserved their "win" and from that performance have every chance of qualifying to the knock out stages.

See you in the semis boys!

Well, it wasn't a win, and it wasn't against the British. Sensationalist/incorrect journalism which just annoys me.

Only a terrible error by Green got them 1 point. But yes I agree, England were poor generally, and the USA did well.

Let's hope we get better, we definitely need to to stand a chance!

Well' date=' it wasn't a win, and it wasn't against the British. Sensationalist/incorrect journalism which just annoys me.

Only a terrible error by Green got them 1 point. But yes I agree, England were poor generally, and the USA did well.

Let's hope we get better, we definitely need to to stand a chance![/quote']

+1

Obama obviously didn't see the game.

Wrong shaped ball for me and am doig my best to avoid the thing, difficult when its on all channels!

Suffice to say, credit where its due

I can not imagine that the England Baseball, ice hockey or basketball teams could hold the U.S. to a draw!

Archived