Gibson Brands Forums

What pedals do you use?

Sproggie

I play my 339 through a Boss BD2 with the gain turned right down, then into a Holy Grail and on to a small tube amp and it sounds sweet with the volume low. How do you all get nice blues tones with rich sustain at low volume. I've got a Digitech RP335 modelling pedal that I play with every couple of months but after an hour or so it goes back in the drawer until the next time I get the urge. I sounds so artificial.

I just got some pedals today.

I run my Les Paul into a Dunlop Original Wah, then into a Boss DD-3 Delay, from there it runs into a Boss LS-2 which allows me to select a Way Huge Pork Loin on Channel A ( Later I'll add a FuzzFace). After the LS-2 into a Digitech Bad Monkey (awesome pedal for $50) and into my Fender Vintage Modified range amps....

The only other thing is a footswitch for the Fender Super Champ XD.

Depends on what you mean, by "low volume?" Bedroom, so you don't disturb anyone, volume??? (Earphones!) ;>)

Seriously...I too, use a Boss Blues Drver 2. For a push on the tubes, and not much distortion, I use the volume

at from 10 to 12 0'clock (more, if you want to really push the volume and tubes) and the "drive" off, with the

Tone knob at various settings, depending on which guitar I'm using. With Fender guitars, the Tone knob is usually

off, or at 9 O'clock, at the most. With Gibson's, it's set, sometimes, as much as 12 O'clock. This seems to work

well, even at louder "stage" volumes...again depending on amp and venue, one may have to "adjust" a bit.

Cheers,

CB

It depends on the guitar I'm using.

If it's my ES-175 then it's never an overdrive. The feedback is too hard to control.

Instead I use a chorus, tremelo, analog delay and a wah wah pedal.

Now if it's my telecasters you can bet I'm using an overdrive, fuzzbox, or distortion pedal.

It depends on the guitar but with my 335 I use a Keeley modded Voodoo Labs Sparkle drive. With my PRS SC245 I use a Keeley modded TS-808.

[cool]

I've been using a Sparkle Drive with my Strats for a couple of years now. I love that combination of just the right amount of OD crunch without losing individual note definition. I've not been able to find anything that works as well. Just a great OD pedal, both separately and combined with a Maxon 808 (for lead boost).

I also use a Barber LaunchPad for "amp cooking" (getting the full clean signal into the preamp right before it starts to breakup). You can really ride the volume control on the guitar for lots of different tones that way.

For the ES-339 and 'buckers, right now I'm digging the OCD (from Fulltone). And for similar reasons, though that one definitely goes to eleven. And it cleans up really nicely with the volume control or a lighter pick action. :)

I've got a FET Dream on order from CE Pedals. I wanted an Ethos but I just don't have the patience right now to wait 6 or 8 months for a pedal...

John

Guest BentonC

Fulltone OCD is by-far my favorite OD. If you have a good tube amp, a high-quality clean booster can work wonders as well (only if you really dig your amp's natural tube distortion).

One of the reasons I like the OCD so much, is that it seems to do a great job at any volume level. Most OD and boosters can sound a little ugly if you don't push your amp volume pretty hard in the first place...

Keeley, Fulltone, Xotic, Klon, and a whole slew of other pedal companies make some great OD and boosters. There are plenty of review and demo videos online for most of these as well. I find that it depends entirely upon your setup, and what kind of tone you are looking for.

What amp are you using?

Fulltone OCD is by-far my favorite OD. If you have a good tube amp' date=' a high-quality clean booster can work wonders as well (only if you really dig your amp's natural tube distortion).

One of the reasons I like the OCD so much, is that it seems to do a great job at any volume level. Most OD and boosters can sound a little ugly if you don't push your amp volume pretty hard in the first place...

[/quote']

Do you mean if you are running through an already overdriven amp? or through an amp set up for clean ?

I have my amps set up for clean only, I pair them and run them through the Pork Loin and Bad Monkey depending on the type of overdrive I want...

The Pork Loin, right now is a really thick creamy rhythm type overdrive whereas the Bad Monkey provides a more cutting articulate type of overdrive perfect for solo's and riffs meant to cut through everything else.

Plus, for heavier type songs that I don't really play, I'll use one of the amps other channel which is setup for a dirty sound and run it through the Bad Monkey only, because the amp overdrive and the Pork Loin together sound too noisy......not enough mids in the tone of those two combined IMHO

Does anyone here use that Gas Pedal that Joe Bonamassa uses, he says the guy is based out of Seattle, but the guy said that he is stopping production or something for now....

Too bad....I would have certainly added that to my pedalboard.

I can't remember his website though......

I start with a Morley Power Wah Distortion that I drive my amp with. Into a Electro HArmonix frequency Analyzer, into a EH Hog, into a MxR phase 90, into a Line 6 Synth Mod, into a dunlop crybaby, into a boss flanger, into a line 6 echo park.......i like sounds:-({|=

Guest BentonC

I like to have my amp set right as it begins to break up, then the OD pedal will slam the front end and send it over the top. One of the beautiful thing about nice tube amps is how the amp's distortion responds to your playing and volume knob on the guitar. A little lighter touch, and a slight roll back on the knob, and you're clean again!

It depends on how out there I feel like going but I use a Boss tremolo, a ghetto homemade phaser, Space Echo, Big Muff, and The Rat. I love the insane foldover and crunch textures I can get, plus just the general noise mayhem and sonic black magic.

I don't own a hollow body, but I use a boss bd-2 and I set my gain really low but turn the level up, i also tweak the tone down to around 6 or 7 when using my bridge pickup and 8 when in the neck position. When i use these settings i find i can get a good growl from my sg.

With my archtops I don't use any pedals but the amp choice is very important as some amps just don't give me the jazz guitar sound that I want.

In one of my semi hollow guitars (PRS) I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan Jazz pickups because I just never could get the sound right no matter what amp or settings I tried.

I used to play in rock/blues bands and I still jam with some of the guys. For this style I use my Les Pauls and use a Tube Screamer, a Mud Honey, Cry Baby and a Boss Super Chorus.

Archived