Gibson Brands Forums

gibson eye?

dave294

does anyone else like the gibson eye guitar?

in my opinion if gibson added trapezoid inlays, got rid of the pickup covers, made it in darker less orange finishes, this thing would be completely kick ***. in a couple of years it would be a classic like the sg and les paul.

its one of the new designs gibson made that doesnt look like crap.

other than that, just maybe rename it, and dont charge a crapload since its a new model.....they can start charging a lot when someone makes it famous a couple of years later.

well this is all based on looks. has anyone actually played one? does it sound good? mahagony body right? and how does it play?.

oh and has anyone seen any at their local stores? and for how much?

final question[biggrin] , if anyone agrees with me that this guitar is kinda cool, is there anything we can do to make this more than a limited run?

I think it's okay looking, but there are other companies doing a better job of making unusual looking guitars, like Eastwood. Gibson's core customer base, like Fender's) mostly wants traditional style guitars and tends to shun anything that's too off the beaten path.

I think it's okay looking' date=' but there are other companies doing a better job of making unusual looking guitars, like Eastwood. Gibson's core customer base, like Fender's) mostly wants traditional style guitars and tends to shun anything that's too off the beaten path.

yea, i think your right gibson does a lot better with their traditional guitars. all im saying is lately they've been creating a bunch of different desings, that for the most part look like crap. but the gibson eye kinda surprised me, i think it looks good, and like i said before with a few small changes i think it could become a classic guitar.

i checked out the eastwoods their alright, but ive always liked the mellow sounds of gibsons.

I could swear they had other colors at the Gibson Showcase warehouse sale last year' date=' Chanman do you recall?[/quote']

No sir. IIRC, I was a ****** and only went into the guitar shop, thus missing the actual sale [biggrin]

What colors? I'd love to see this in a black!

No sir. IIRC' date=' I was a ****** and only went into the guitar shop, thus missing the actual sale [blush']

What colors? I'd love to see this in a black!

Ouch, it was an interesting sale for sure.

They had a few of these guitars but I remember assorted colors...I just can't remember

I think it's hideous. To me it looks like a cross between an SG and a Jackson or an Ibanez super Strat.

I haven't played one or even seen one in real life but judging by pictures I really don't like it.

Gotta agree' date=' what were they thinking....[biggrin

1) It seems like I'm not going to get a lot of agreement here, but I actually like it a good deal. I like the fact that it looks like the love-child of an SG and Super Strat. I like the pickguard that loosely follows the body's contours--I mean, shoot, every pickguard that's ever been put on a Tele-style body has looked like some sort of weird mistake, and nobody seems to complain about those! I like the color, the colored humbucker covers, and the pointed asymmetrical cutaways. I love ebony fretboards. I don't look at the inlays when I play, so I don't need any on the fretboard. I don't know if I need the extra two frets. I like the controls, also. I like the Gibson Eye, and if I had one I'd play it often and display it proudly.

2) Rich, I checked out the Eastwood website. I almost flipped when I saw the Messenger model (i.e. the Mark Farner guitar,) but then I noticed that it has a maple neck, and not an aluminum neck. Well, it might still be cool to have.

I quite like it.

I almost like it a lot but there are few things which, for my money, are totally wrong.

1) Re-design the p/g. It probably doesn't need to be altered much but at the moment it's too large.

2) I'm not a fan of the p-up covers at all.

3) Trapezoids or, possibly, Super 400-style split-block inlays would look cool.

4) Tomato-red was a bad choice for the 1960 LP's 'burst. It's wrong here too.

I love the general shape.

I love the Ebony 'board.

If the (covered) p-ups and p/g were more like the type 1 / type 4 SG's in principle - i.e. p-up rings and separate 'guard then that would help a lot.

I recall it was quite expensive (I've just checked : $2,497) for something that looks too much like a toy instrument. If it were given a more 'grown-up' finish then I feel that that, too, would have helped.

I would like to try one someday but I suspect not many made their way over the Atlantic.

I hope I'm wrong!

The conservative (LP,Tele) side of me recoils, but I do like weird guitars too. I'm strangely drawn to it. As to the orange color, hell, why not? If you're going weird, go weird. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Gibson has a history of producing "What were they thinking?" models that the public shunned, then 20 years later they're collector's items. V's, Explorers...... anyone price a CORVUS lately? I remember in '84 or '85 Elderly was selling brand new Corvuses (Corvi?) for $165 to get them off the shelf.

I can't bring myself to put the Eye on the same playing field as an LP or SG but if I saw one cheap I would snap it up just to say I own one.

i don't like the shape. I think an SG style guitar with that pickguard would look insanely bad ***... [cool]

It looks too gimmicky, but I like Airlines... go figure [crying] I guess its the combination of the two bodies, just looks really funky. And I need dots or inlays or something!!!!

Maybe they're trying to grasp the Flagger market.

Think of it. Strap this puppy on a road construction flagger along with an amp on a dolly.... Now that's an attention getter. [crying] Right color too. More's the better if the flagger is sporting a color coordinated tank top. [cool]

I wanted to be open-minded and like it... but I can't. I like strats, but hate super strats. (Again, sorry, but I can't help it). Consequently, this doesn't do it for me. Pickguard is cool, though.

Archived